Mike Brown ‘We have lost some of our hold on our fan base", opposes 18-game schedule

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

There really has never been an actual "fan base". A little run in the '70's, maybe. Even the "super '80's" was fickle as hell. 

Fickle?  Are you fucking kidding me?  They have won 5 playoff games in 51 years.  Their last playoff win was 28 years ago.  Kurt Cobain was still alive. Richard Nixon was still alive. Freddy Mercury was still alive. 

Its called apathy.  

A fan base is not made with wins--it's made by community. And, a multi-generations one. Decades before the Big Red Machine, the franchise had that sort of fan base. And, it still does. That is just one example. If you want to pick that apart with win relativism, feel free. 

The beauty of the NFL is in its symmetry. Two conferences with four divisions of four teams. Each team plays four games against another division in its conference, four games against a team in the opposite conference, and these are rotated on a predictable and consistent basis.

The seasons consists of four four-game segments, and your team's progress can be measured at each four-game milestone.

Expansion in the number of games or in the number of teams ruins all that, just as it did in MLB when the leagues expanded to 14 teams each (albeit years apart). Prior to that, each team played nine games against division foes and six games against the other division's teams. It was that simple. Now the MLB schedule is a mess.

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

Fickle?  Are you fucking kidding me?  They have won 5 playoff games in 51 years.  Their last playoff win was 28 years ago.  Kurt Cobain was still alive. Richard Nixon was still alive. Freddy Mercury was still alive. 

Its called apathy.  

These last few seasons have definitely made me more apathetic.  The combination of rooting for the Washington Generals of the NFL & moves like letting an All-Pro LT walk for a pair of guys everyone knew couldn't do the job take their toll.  There were games the last couple of years where I felt more invested than the team I was watching. I stopped tuning in. Combined with an owner that acts like he's doing a public service by keeping his cash cow NFL franchise in town & yeah, apathy results.

Ain't nobody got time for 16 games let alone 18. Season kicks off during the best time of year to fish, be outdoors, and start of bow season. Now cut cable no DVR. I don't know how I'm watch any of the first 10 games unless it's a night game. 

I'd say it's more of the league in general losing fans than just the Bengals losing fans. People finally realizing the outcomes of these games doesn't mean chit for their life. No one gets paid to watch this chit.  However the Brave browser is the beginning of change in favor of us the people. One day their going to have to pay us to watch. 

9 minutes ago, Catfish Bob said:

However the Brave browser is the beginning of change in favor of us the people. One day their going to have to pay us to watch. 

Or Rollerball finally takes over!  Brave browser is nice. 

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

A fan base is not made with wins--it's made by community. And, a multi-generations one. Decades before the Big Red Machine, the franchise had that sort of fan base. And, it still does. That is just one example. If you want to pick that apart with win relativism, feel free. 

When I first moved here in 1974 every kid wore a Bengals or Brown jersey.  I was lucky to see 1 Saints game a year since cable didn’t exist. My other team at that time was the Raiders since they always seemed to show their games. 

Today I see kids wearing all kinds of unis. They can see every game, follow their favorite players and easily jump on any bandwagon. Hate to break this to you but most of the millennials around here are Browns fans because of Mayfield and Beckham. Just another reason to hate Millennials.  The face of our team is Andy Dalton. Nobody cares about him. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

When I first moved here in 1974 every kid wore a Bengals or Brown jersey.  I was lucky to see 1 Saints game a year since cable didn’t exist. My other team at that time was the Raiders since they always seemed to show their games. 

Today I see kids wearing all kinds of unis. They can see every game, follow their favorite players and easily jump on any bandwagon. Hate to break this to you but most of the millennials around here are Browns fans because of Mayfield and Beckham. Just another reason to hate Millennials.  The face of our team is Andy Dalton. Nobody cares about him. 

I think most millenials are soccer fans, if they follow pro sports at all.  

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Big Red Machine - damn that was a fun time and what a great fucking nickname

9 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Tension in the draft room? Like who gets the short straw to go wake Mikey up because our pick is coming up.

The tension between people trying to make a sensible draft pick and an owner who wants to do something idiotic instead. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Point made: whatever fan base for the Bengals that existed, has never been solid or enduring. 

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Big Red Machine - damn that was a fun time and what a great fucking nickname

Sure was. But I'm old enough to remember sitting in Crosley, and seeing the fan connection to the team as being just as solid. It is still there whenever I go to GABP--maybe just not as many people around.   

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Sure was. But I'm old enough to remember sitting in Crosley, and seeing the fan connection to the team as being just as solid. It is still there whenever I go to GABP--maybe just not as many people around.   

The way GABP & the Reds in general are marketed to the fans is night & day compared to the Bengals & their stale popcorn.

13 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I can only point to Red's home attendance and comment that it has hovered near the bottom of the league for years.  Two playoff wins this Century isn't playing well either.  The last game I went to was vs the Indians last year.  Maybe 25,000 fans many of them wearing Indians garb.   It was a really old crowd and not many kids at the game either.  Social media has created a group of young fans that follow players rather than teams.   

My son is a big LeBron fan but he couldn't care less about the Cavs or Heat.  He has always been a Lakers fan because he loves Kobe.  Kobe is the exception to the rule playing his entire career at LA.  Pretty much an enigma in today's NBA.

In the connected world of today and seeming ease players can leave and go somewhere else the new generation of fans don't seem as loyal to teams.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

I can only point to Red's home attendance and comment that it has hovered near the bottom of the league for years.  Two playoff wins this Century isn't playing well either.  The last game I went to was vs the Indians last year.  Maybe 25,000 fans many of them wearing Indians garb.   It was a really old crowd and not many kids at the game either.  Social media has created a group of young fans that follow players rather than teams.   

My son is a big LeBron fan but he couldn't care less about the Cavs or Heat.  He has always been a Lakers fan because he loves Kobe.  Kobe is the exception to the rule playing his entire career at LA.  Pretty much an enigma in today's NBA.

In the connected world of today and seeming ease players can leave and go somewhere else the new generation of fans don't seem as loyal to teams.

You continue to make my point. 

I don't like the idea of an 18-game season, but a lot of what the NFL does I don't care for, so let's assume it's gonna happen.

The only way I see the NFLPA going along with it is if the preseason is cut down to 2 games.  I could get behind that as a fan and a season ticket holder.  Preseason would still start in early August, but the regular season would start 2 weeks sooner than it does now, meaning it would still end around New Years and the Super Bowl would still happen in very early February.  Instead of 4 (preseason) + 17 (reg. season) + 5 (post season) = 26 weeks of football, it would be 2 + 19 + 5 = 26.  They might possibly throw a 2nd bye week in to make it 2 + 20 + 5 = 27, but that would be the extent of it.

Scheduling would be another matter.  If both extra opponents come from your conference, well, there are only 6 teams you don't already play against in a given year.... none of whom finished in their division where you finished in your division last year, so the extra games would add imbalance to the schedule.  A lot of 1st place teams playing 4th place teams?  Bleh.  Besides, the networks would weigh-in here and would probably force the league to make the 2 additional games non-conference ones.  As it is, each AFC team plays only 2 home games against NFC teams, and vice-versa.  This means FOX gets a game from New England only twice a year, CBS gets into Chicago and Dallas and Philly only twice a year, and that's before games get picked for Thursday or SNF or MNF.  If the 2 additional games were non-conference, every network would get into every stadium one additional time per year....  And with there being 12 non-conference opponents to pair up against, the pairings can be done with an eye to parity (1st plays 1st, 2nd plays 2nd) to ensure that the schedules remain balanced.

Since the non-conference pairings rotate annually, it would be trivially easy to pair conferences in a manner that eliminates any possibility of teams meeting in back-to-back years.  For example, in 2019 the AFC North plays the NFC West.  We play a different division every year, so playing any teams from the NFC South (2018) or NFC East (2020) would be off the table, leaving us the NFC North.  Each team plays 2 games agaisnt that division, with 1st and 4th place teams from your division playing 2nd and 3rd place from that other division - one at home, one away.  For the AFC North in 2019 the extra games might be:

(1) Ravens at (2) Vikings / (2) Stealers at (1) Bears / (3) Browns at (4) Lions / (4) Bengals at (3) Packers

(3) Packers at (1) Ravens / (4) Lions at (2) Stealers / (1) Bears at (3) Browns / (2) Vikings at (4) Bengals

Cumulative record of extra opponents:

Ravens (10-6) play Vikings + Packers (14-16-2)

Stealers (9-6-1) play Bears + Lions (18-14-0)

Browns (7-8-1) play Lions + Bears (18-14-0)

Bengals (6-10) play Packers + Vikings (14-16-2)

Bears (12-4) play Stealers + Browns (16-14-2)

Vikings (8-7-1) play Ravens + Bengals (16-16)

Packers (6-9-1) play Bengals + Ravens (16-16)

Lions (6-10) play Browns + Stealers (16-14-2)

All eight teams play games against teams who are all within 3 games, cumulatively, of each other (Best = 18-14, worst = 15-17)

Just pick-off the division from the other conference you played 2 seasons ago, and pair teams based on order of finish.

15 hours ago, SF2 said:

Or Rollerball finally takes over!  Brave browser is nice. 

I tell ya what. Some them prime time games last season made rollerball look much more entertaining than NFL ball, that's for damn sure. 

Yes Brave browser is amazing. This is just the beginning. 10 years from now the media in general will be so vastly different. The NFL very well might not survive.

9 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

I tell ya what. Some them prime time games last season made rollerball look much more entertaining than NFL ball, that's for damn sure. 

Yes Brave browser is amazing. This is just the beginning. 10 years from now the media in general will be so vastly different. The NFL very well might not survive.

IDK what gives you that impression, they've taken full advantage of every other media evolution over the last 100ish years.  

Archived