AJ Carted off field

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Correct, I was referring to the 4 completely meaningless but full speed preseason games they still have to endure.

Yeah, I totally agree about 4 preseason game nonsense. Still, don’t theae guys tape their ankles for practice or was this just supposed to be a slow speed wave the Bengals flag thing?  They did this in Springboro once and about the only guys actually running were the wide outs. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/7/28/8933378/bengals-coaches-dayton-practice-field-a-j-green-injury

Several staffers felt the field was “subpar.”

By Jason Marcum@marcum89  Jul 28, 2019, 7:00am ED

NFL: Cincinnati Bengals-MinicampAaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

We might not be seeing the Bengals back in Dayton anytime soon.

The Bengals opened training camp at Welcome Stadium in Dayton on Saturday, but the lasting image will be A.J. Green suffering what looked like a significant injury that led to him being carted off the field.

Apparently, Bengals coaches were concerned with the field and it’s condition, according to Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated.

To celebrate the NFL’s 100th season, the NFL decided to honor Dayton as one of its 13 Original Towns by partnering with the Bengals to host their first training camp practice. The first-ever NFL game was played in Dayton in 1920, featuring the Dayton Triangles and Columbus Panhandles — two of the League’s original 14 teams.

The idea of having a camp practice in Dayton seemed like a great idea at the time, but the NFL had initially planned for the Bengals to practice on a different field, one that would have likely been more up to standard, as Breer writes:

The league initially wanted the practice to be at Triangle Park, site of the first NFL game, and planned to build a $440,000 field there for the Bengals to work on. But a Native American group raised concerns it was on an old burial ground and, after a site survey, that plan was scrapped.

The NFL still wanted to follow through with the plan to practice in Dayton, and so the Bengals cleared the idea of going to the University of Dayton’s home stadium.

But after working there for an hour on Saturday, several Bengals staffers were frustrated that Green’s injury happened on a field that they saw as subpar. One mentioned that players were sliding all over the place during what was a shorter-than-usual camp practice. Another saw pebbles lodged into the turf.

It’s an unfortunate situation, especially since it may have helped lead to a key player suffering an injury, even though it sounds like Green shouldn’t be out too long.

IN THIS STORYSTREAM

Subpar field is good, it will get them prepared for playing at Heinz Pasture.

Honestly... star WR gets hurt in July and the staff is whining to the press? People are acting like the season is over. That's one of the bigger challenges for Taylor, instilling some mental toughness in this squad.  An owner that treats running an NFL franchise like he's dragging a cross to Calvary doesn't make it any easier.   

So the field is “sub par”. But school aged kids and UD players play there all the time. Plus what does the field have to do with Dre and AJ getting tangled up and landing funny. And as far as I know, AJ was the only player injured during practice. They need to get off their high horse and quit making excuses. 

1 hour ago, whodey? said:

So the field is “sub par”. But school aged kids and UD players play there all the time. Plus what does the field have to do with Dre and AJ getting tangled up and landing funny. And as far as I know, AJ was the only player injured during practice. They need to get off their high horse and quit making excuses. 

Bingo...

2 hours ago, Griever said:

Man this sucks, doubt he'll be ready for week 1 but you never know.

Torn ligament needs surgery.  That would seem very unlikely. Still, not a season ended thank god

7 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

I mean, I get that you were going for the low hanging, one off snarky comment, but, do you actually have an issue with a Dayton?

I was forced to live there for 10 years against my will. I moved back to Cincinnati first chance I got. I honestly can't think of any reason to go to Dayton.

20 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I was forced to live there for 10 years against my will. I moved back to Cincinnati first chance I got. I honestly can't think of any reason to go to Dayton.

Pine Club and UD Basketball 

9 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

I mean, I get that you were going for the low hanging, one off snarky comment, but, do you actually have an issue with a Dayton?

I worked in downtown Dayton for years in the Mead Tower on Courthouse Square in the late 90s.  Place was happening.  2001 Mead moves to Connecticut. Our firms leaves empty Mead tower for Kettering Tower 2 blocks away.  2009 GM shuts down all the plants in the Dayton area.  2009 NCR leaves Dayton.  Downtown is a ghost town compared to what it was in the late 90s.  My old firm moved out of downtown to Austin Landing as did most of the other tenants of the Kettering Tower.   Clients do not want to come downtown to a rundown practically empty building anymore.

Archived