Green out 16 to 18 weeks (update 4)

35 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I wonder if AJ is thinking his external market value has greatly diminished due to age and in jury risk, so he is playing the 'want to stay here my whole career' card for that last large $$ deal? I know he would be an intriguing FA, but for how much given the age and injuries?

Green knows he has to put together some good games down the stretch if he wants a good contract.   He basically hasn't played in a year and has had 2 surgeries to his foot.  Every team is doing a wait and see.  The way he is talking, it sounds like he is trying to get a deal done now.  The Bengals would be idiots to do that before he plays a little and proves he is still elite. 

• SF2 changed the title to Green out 12 to 15 weeks
10 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The Bengals would be idiots to do that before he plays a little and proves he is still elite. 

This is the same team that holds an Annual Tyler Eifert Signing & can't quit John Ross.  DreK & Hart got nice extensions. We have a tradition of paying guys top dollar to not play football. I see no reason AJ shouldn't get a slice of that.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

This is the same team that holds an Annual Tyler Eifert Signing & can't quit John Ross.  DreK & Hart got nice extensions. We have a tradition of paying guys top dollar to not play football. I see no reason AJ shouldn't get a slice of that.

It is really hard to predict what this team thinks on a transaction by transaction basis. But from a higher level, we know they probably make 2 dumb moves for every good one. If this were the Pats you would know they would let him walk. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Green knows he has to put together some good games down the stretch if he wants a good contract.   He basically hasn't played in a year and has had 2 surgeries to his foot.  Every team is doing a wait and see.  The way he is talking, it sounds like he is trying to get a deal done now.  The Bengals would be idiots to do that before he plays a little and proves he is still elite. 

As long as he's healthy, he's elite.

He would get big money on the open market, no doubt about that.

He's probably the only HOF caliber this franchise has had in the past 30 years that doesn't want to play anywhere else, why would you want to get rid of that guy?

8 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

As long as he's healthy, he's elite.

He would get big money on the open market, no doubt about that.

He's probably the only HOF caliber this franchise has had in the past 30 years that doesn't want to play anywhere else, why would you want to get rid of that guy?

I never said I wanted to get rid of him, I simply want to see if the turf toe issue is gone and if he is healthy.  Its a terrible injury and has ended quite a few careers.  

If he is healthy he would get big money on the open market, I agree.  Is he healthy?  

Any GM that signed him to a big contract only to find out later he lost speed and couldn't get separation would look foolish.  He isn't Wolverine.  Eifert doesn't look the same and he is only 29.  

16 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I never said I wanted to get rid of him, I simply want to see if the turf toe issue is gone and if he is healthy.  Its a terrible injury and has ended quite a few careers.  

If he is healthy he would get big money on the open market, I agree.  Is he healthy?  

Any GM that signed him to a big contract only to find out later he lost speed and couldn't get separation would look foolish.  He isn't Wolverine.  Eifert doesn't look the same and he is only 29.  

He is Wolverine damn it!!!

I don't think AJ Green would put himself out there if he wasn't healthy, plus Dre K isn't around to step on his toe again.

28 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Eifert doesn't look the same because of shitty coaching.

5 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

None of the TE's look any good because of shitty coaching.

Exactly. Uzomah wasn't injured. And he's had no better play than Tyler.

Taylor is keeping the TE's in to block ~50% of the time because of the crap o-line. And then expecting them to pick up DE's.

ryan reynolds ugh GIF

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

The Bengals will set the floor on his salary, and some other team will pay more than Mike Brown, even if Green doesn't play a snap this year. In fact, the smartest thing he could do is not risk getting re-injured.

14 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

The Bengals will set the floor on his salary, and some other team will pay more than Mike Brown, even if Green doesn't play a snap this year. In fact, the smartest thing he could do is not risk getting re-injured.

Do you think being out of football for 22 months is a particularly good strategy?  Honest question.  Is there any recent history of a WR being out that long and over 30 being signed to a big contract?

Just now, SF2 said:

Do you think being out of football for 18 months is a particularly good strategy?  Honest question.  Is there any recent history of a WR being out that long and over 30 being signed to a big contract?

Is it the best strategy, no. Is it a great strategy to suit up for half the season with a terrible offensive system and a rookie QB and hope for the best? No. Do you honestly think he's going to do anything over the last 8 weeks of this season that going to drastically raise his asking price? The talk about franchising him has already started.

The world and his wife are already talking about AJ Green not suiting up for this team in 2019... How many NFL GM's would hold it against him?

The Saints were chomping at the bit to pick him up at the trade deadline injured and sight unseen. Once he's healthy, he can do offseason workouts. He'll be evaluated by doctors. Remember, not every team operates like Mike "Coach Class" Brown. There are plenty of ways to tell if a guy has recovered from an injury that don't involve throwing yourself into an abattoir of suck.

Not getting injured again is a FANTASTIC strategy. And he's going to get paid, he already has Mike Brown's money on the table.

31 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Is it the best strategy, no. Is it a great strategy to suit up for half the season with a terrible offensive system and a rookie QB and hope for the best? No. Do you honestly think he's going to do anything over the last 8 weeks of this season that going to drastically raise his asking price? The talk about franchising him has already started.

The world and his wife are already talking about AJ Green not suiting up for this team in 2019... How many NFL GM's would hold it against him?

The Saints were chomping at the bit to pick him up at the trade deadline injured and sight unseen. Once he's healthy, he can do offseason workouts. He'll be evaluated by doctors. Remember, not every team operates like Mike "Coach Class" Brown. There are plenty of ways to tell if a guy has recovered from an injury that don't involve throwing yourself into an abattoir of suck.

Not getting injured again is a FANTASTIC strategy. And he's going to get paid, he already has Mike Brown's money on the table.

Being a fan of this club is drains my soul.  

Bengals are likely to tag AJ. It comes with a 20% raise over this year's pay so it will be a higher number than if they tagged someone else. AJ doesn't deserve a raise but he deserves respect. He's finishing a 4 year, 60 million dollar deal. A new deal for those amounts but with half or more of the pay dependent on availability would make sense. 

On 11/1/2019 at 2:05 PM, I_C_Deadpeople said:

This situation would have been far more interesting if John Ross had panned out. If Ross was as good as Boyd then the team would know it would have to re-sign him shortly to a large contract and perhaps they would not commit 3 large deals to the WR position. But alas, Ross is no Boyd. 

Who says the team won't sign Ross to a stupid contract?  I wouldn't trust them to hit or split on a pair of deuces.

Just now, I_C_Deadpeople said:

If they did both they could plead salary cap restrictions for any further moves. Another easy off season for management.

They aren't moving Ross if he's owed $16M, that's for sure.  Someone else would likely pay him around 1/10th that in FA. 

Archived