Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
SF2

Green out 16 to 18 weeks (update 4)

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yep, they would have to sit out entire year and re enter next years draft.  Teams can only trade picks not players on draft day. 

 

Are they prevented from trading the player a month later?  They can't force the guy to play at gunpoint.  Bengals arrange a trade, player signs the contract & then gets traded.  Seems pretty straightforward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

Are they prevented from trading the player a month later?  They can't force the guy to play at gunpoint.  Bengals arrange a trade, player signs the contract & then gets traded.  Seems pretty straightforward. 

Eli from the Chargers to the Giants was something like this.. I don't remember the details, but it was a draft day deal

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yep, they would have to sit out entire year and re enter next years draft.  Teams can only trade picks not players on draft day. 

 

Players can be traded after they are drafted. The main constaint is fitting the higher drafted player into the rookie pool of the lower drafting team. It can be done via split signing bonuses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

Are they prevented from trading the player a month later?  They can't force the guy to play at gunpoint.  Bengals arrange a trade, player signs the contract & then gets traded.  Seems pretty straightforward. 

The NBA does this sign-trade stuff all the time. As was said, Eli/NY is the only thing resembling this--and I don't recall he even signed with SD before the trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The NBA does this sign-trade stuff all the time. As was said, Eli/NY is the only thing resembling this--and I don't recall he even signed with SD before the trade. 

 

Yeah I was suggesting the new CBA would require the original team to sign him first but that's just a guess.

 

What happens if the player does choose to sit out the year though?  What becomes of the jilted team's wasted draft pick?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

Yeah I was suggesting the new CBA would require the original team to sign him first but that's just a guess.

 

What happens if the player does choose to sit out the year though?  What becomes of the jilted team's wasted draft pick?

 

 

Has to sign with the team that drafted him. If he refuses to sign he can not be picked up by another team.  The team that drafted him can trade his rights to another team but if it is a #1 or 2 pick the cost is very high. 
 

Sit out a year and you go back into draft but who wants to draft a headache a year removed from football with a high pick?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Yeah, like the sainted first pick would suddenly want to play for another crap team? 

Cincinnati vs South Beach.  You be the judge.  If you are going to play for a crap team, might as well have a nice beach house to go home to.  Know what I am saying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Cincinnati vs South Beach.  You be the judge.  If you are going to play for a crap team, might as well have a nice beach house to go home to.  Know what I am saying?

I can't see how a player would pick this shit show over about anyplace these days. But yes to the beach house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 4:46 PM, LostInDaJungle said:

Is it the best strategy, no. Is it a great strategy to suit up for half the season with a terrible offensive system and a rookie QB and hope for the best? No. Do you honestly think he's going to do anything over the last 8 weeks of this season that going to drastically raise his asking price? The talk about franchising him has already started.

The world and his wife are already talking about AJ Green not suiting up for this team in 2019... How many NFL GM's would hold it against him?

The Saints were chomping at the bit to pick him up at the trade deadline injured and sight unseen. Once he's healthy, he can do offseason workouts. He'll be evaluated by doctors. Remember, not every team operates like Mike "Coach Class" Brown. There are plenty of ways to tell if a guy has recovered from an injury that don't involve throwing yourself into an abattoir of suck.

Not getting injured again is a FANTASTIC strategy. And he's going to get paid, he already has Mike Brown's money on the table.

Coach Taylor: AJ is going to play this week.

AJ: Ohhh, I feel my ankle swelling. Bummer. 

The only reason he made noise about wanting to stay in Cincy and potentially playing was to keep Mike Brown from trading him and limiting his options.

See the source image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Cincinnati vs South Beach.  You be the judge.  If you are going to play for a crap team, might as well have a nice beach house to go home to.  Know what I am saying?

mdn1-wilma-florida-landfall.jpg

 

Catagory 5's vs sleeping in peace? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Green could even end up having surgery if it doesn't heal to the point he can play without pain and swelling.  The fact that he didn't opt for surgery says he is trying to come back.  Still, there is zero reason for him to take any chances considering the Bengals situation.

He had the surgery, hence the 12+ week recovery time. 

 

Anyone second guessing AJ's integrity or commitment to playing the game the right way is ridiculous.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

He had the surgery, hence the 12+ week recovery time. 

 

Anyone second guessing AJ's integrity or commitment to playing the game the right way is ridiculous.

 

His team is rudderless & he's about to be a free agent.  I wouldn't blame him in the least for being overly cautious. 

 

Would you risk your career for this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 8:46 PM, T-Dub said:

 

His team is rudderless & he's about to be a free agent.  I wouldn't blame him in the least for being overly cautious. 

 

Would you risk your career for this?

On the other hand playing a few games at the end of the season and showing he is healthy and productive will raise his value significantly.  If he is done for the year he looks a lot like a older guy who is injury prone. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

On the other hand playing a few games at the end of the season and showing he is healthy and productive will raise his value significantly.  If he is done for the year he looks a lot like a older guy who is injury prone. 

 

 

No one outside of Cincinnati will give a shit.  He'll go in for the usual free agent workout, jog around, make a few cuts & walk away with more money than this team was offering in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 8:46 PM, T-Dub said:

 

His team is rudderless & he's about to be a free agent.  I wouldn't blame him in the least for being overly cautious. 

 

Would you risk your career for this?

Definitely not, which is why he's not playing until he's 100%. 

 

AJ wouldn't get to be one of the best players at his position for almost a decade if he was the type of guy that faked injuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PatternMaster said:

Definitely not, which is why he's not playing until he's 100%. 

 

AJ wouldn't get to be one of the best players at his position for almost a decade if he was the type of guy that faked injuries. 

 

Let me put it this way; if the team were 5-3, do you think he'd be playing today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

Let me put it this way; if the team were 5-3, do you think he'd be playing today?

No, if AJ was healthy enough to play, he would. He's not the type to cheat the game, he's not looking for a come up or an unearned paycheck.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...