Green out 16 to 18 weeks (update 4)

I have a problem with people calling pro athletes overpaid.  These pro sports rake in billions of dollars & the athletes are getting paid what the market demands, just like everyone else.  If you don't like how much money they make, stop watching them.  Don't blame them for our fucked up sense of priorities.

14 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I have a problem with people calling pro athletes overpaid.  These pro sports rake in billions of dollars & the athletes are getting paid what the market demands, just like everyone else.  If you don't like how much money they make, stop watching them.  Don't blame them for our fucked up sense of priorities.

When I say overpay, I am talking about putting together a team based on the SALARY CAP.   Paying a now injury prone WR a huge new contract may not be the best thing for the team going forward when the team has needs in a lot of other areas.  The actual amount of real money he gets is meaningless to me.  I only get $200 fake dollars for my fantasy draft, not going to OVERPAY for Saquan Barkley or Elliot. 

9 minutes ago, SF2 said:

When I say overpay, I am talking about putting together a team based on the SALARY CAP.   Paying a now injury prone WR a huge new contract may not be the best thing for the team going forward when the team has needs in a lot of other areas.  The actual amount of real money he gets is meaningless to me.  I only get $200 fake dollars for my fantasy draft, not going to OVERPAY for Saquan Barkley or Elliot. 

I wouldn't worry about that, you know they're going to be at least $20 mil under the cap every year regardless.  

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I wouldn't worry about that, you know they're going to be at least $20 mil under the cap every year regardless.  

Every few years the teams have to pay up to 95% of the cap I believe during that period or they  get fined per CBA.  It is why it was easy to pay Atkins, Dunlap and Hart big contracts, they have to spend money. 

Spending requirements

There is a minimum amount of money that a team can put towards their caps. All 32 teams are required to spend at least 89 percent of their caps (which this year is $157.7 M). This is called the minimum cash spend requirement, also known as the 89 percent rule

Teams don’t have to spend their 89 percent every year, however. This requirement must be the average amount spent over the four year spending period. The current spending period started in 2017 and will continue through 2020.

In other words, the Bengals could have to spend 88 percent of their cap last year and this year, but would have to spend at least 90 percent over the next two years.

The second requirement is that the league as a whole must spend 95 percent of its total cap space. So the average percent of cap spending must come out to 95 percent every year, or the remaining money will be given to the players. This rule also applies over the course of the spending period.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals could easily tag AJ next year. 

which is exactly what they'll do if they don't get it worked out in time....although, I'd personally let him walk.

I love AJ and definitely think he's one of the all-time great Bengals...however...loyalty is not a very good reason to give a guy HUGE money when that guy is a) injury prone, and, b) on the wrong side of 30......just bad business, IMO. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

PUP list isn't an option for AJ since he practiced before getting hurt.

Bengals could easily tag AJ next year. 

Oooff, with Thomas and OBJs new contracts that will be one LARGE nut to swallow.

2 minutes ago, spicoli said:

which is exactly what they'll do if they don't get it worked out in time....although, I'd personally let him walk.

I love AJ and definitely think he's one of the all-time great Bengals...however...loyalty is not a very good reason to give a guy HUGE money when that guy is a) injury prone, and, b) on the wrong side of 30......just bad business, IMO. 

I guess it depends on how the season goes.  If Taylor is truly the boy wonder and this staff really gets this team playing well it might make sense IF AJ returns and plays well of course.

On 8/1/2019 at 12:12 AM, PatternMaster said:

The Bengals medical staff doesn't have the best track record with diagnosing and treating injuries,  besides they are employees of the Bengals who ultimately have the Bengals best interest at heart. 

The medical staff on crack (as I call them) strikes again.

Here is an interesting stat line: most injuries over the past 4 seasons:

https://www.sportfacts.org/nfl-injuries-by-team/

The Bengals aren't even close to being the most-injured team in that span. Last season was by far the worst.

Also: every NFL franchise has a paid team physician. There is even a union for them: NFL Physicians Society. Every team has a paid medical staff. 

7 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Also: every NFL franchise has a paid team physician. There is even a union for them: NFL Physicians Society. Every team has a paid medical staff. 

I wonder if they get a bonus every time they say "concussion-like symptoms" with a straight face.  

12 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

There was an expose some time ago, about how there was supposedly some unwritten "collusion" amongst NFL teams/doctors to overlook certain injuries as "can't play" types, and certifying the player OK to play. Will see if I can find the articles. 

Not a doctor but what causes "concussion-like symptoms" other than a concussion?  I've had the light sensitivity & maybe even some dizziness from a bad sinus infection but I never forgot where I was etc.  I think it's safe to conclude that if a player comes off the field with concussion-like symptoms they are, in fact, concussion symptoms.

NFLPA should have independent doctors making these calls.  

I thought in the case of concussions the player went into the tent and a someone from the league had to clear him but I could certainly be wrong considering how many times Buffict was allowed back in games after walking off in a daze. 

29 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I thought in the case of concussions the player went into the tent and a someone from the league had to clear him but I could certainly be wrong considering how many times Buffict was allowed back in games after walking off in a daze. 

I think you're right, but also suspect that per$on in the tent doe$ not have the player'$ long-term health a$ their primary con$ideration.  

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Hence, what I mentioned before with the league "collision" hit piece. Still looking for it.

(SF is correct: an "independent" league medical person is in the tents making the call)

Yeah as implied by the quotes, unless they are volunteers they aren't really independent.   Again, seems like exactly the sort of thing a player's union should be covering.

The more they hype Boyd the more I expect him to disappear without AJ on the field.   Cynical me I know, but this time of year everything is puppies & ice cream in 32 training camps across the league.    Then the regular season opens and around 20 of those hopes go in the wood chipper.  

Archived