Green out 16 to 18 weeks (update 4)

14 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I believe Green will be out 4 reg season games..

30 and injury prone...

What gets me is after they return we hear stuff like "knocking off the rust" and "working himself back into playing shape".

And if he isn't that good (ref Billy Price), he "came back too soon" or "wasn't completely over the injury".  Especially if he gets injured again soon

after.  That's what's gong to happen with John "The Bust" Ross.  Count on it.

Lets say Green comes back and plays great 2 or 3 games before the Oct 29th trade deadline and someone inquires about a trade.

Would you consider it and what would be the lowest trade you would do?

For me, if the team was sucking and they have not resigned AJ, I might consider an offer but it would have to be pretty good.  A good young player at a needed position and a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick or a 4th for the right player would be my bottom.  Although I am not sure we could get that.

Trade deadline deals in the NFL are spurious at best. This isn't MLB--where adding that one pitcher for minor league prospects--happens. Getting top-end draft picks and/or player, just rarely happen. And, on a second half of year rental like AJ--much less likely. 

18 hours ago, westside bengal said:

For me, if the team was sucking and they have not resigned AJ, I might consider an offer but it would have to be pretty good.  A good young player at a needed position and a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick or a 4th for the right player would be my bottom.  Although I am not sure we could get that.

Older guy that's starting to break down & only under contract for this season..  I don't see us getting an impact player or high draft pick.  Besides which this team is struggling to retain fans & trading away AJ would piss off a lot of people.   I'd be inclined to let him walk & invest that extension money elsewhere but that would mean signing a free agent that isn't a former Bengals draft pick wash-out.

If the options are extend AJ or spend it on Cracker Barrel gift cards for the Brown family Christmas?

That is one of the most overused expressions: "spend the (saved) money somewhere else" 

In reality--and not just here either--no team has to concern themselves with "saving to spend elsewhere". The alleged caps on spending are mirage-like. More like "where there is a will there is a way"

This jibber jabber about "old/broken down"--when the average John Q Bengalfan really only has him and a handful of others to identify with--is actually going to increase the turnouts? 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

That is one of the most overused expressions: "spend the (saved) money somewhere else" 

In reality--and not just here either--no team has to concern themselves with "saving to spend elsewhere". The alleged caps on spending are mirage-like. More like "where there is a will there is a way"

This jibber jabber about "old/broken down"--when the average John Q Bengalfan really only has him and a handful of others to identify with--is actually going to increase the turnouts? 

Well, like I said "this team is struggling to retain fans & trading away AJ would piss off a lot of people"

& yeah, they have a finite amount of money they are willing to spend.  I agree that amount is different for AJ vs say, a free agent linebacker.  Extending AJ would take a % of the cap that I'm not sure would otherwise be invested elsewhere.  Fair to say the goal here is staying above cap-minimum, not "how can we hold on to all this talent!?"

I expect AJ to be here for a while.  Maybe as long as he wants. 

And LT is right that there is not much trade action around the deadline.  But that is usually because of the way contracts are constructed.  Teams who have paid out a lot in guaranteed money do not want to eat that money trading a player after a year or 2.  And the buyers do not want to be on the hook for a large contract and maybe have to pay some of the prorated costs.  But the AJ situation is different.  Final year, relative cheap contract.  A true SB contender could rent AJ for half a season for around $6M.

I do not expect this to happen but who knows...some one might want to do a Hue Jackson impression around Halloween and make the 2nd greatest trade in football.

10 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

AJ is Bengal for life. 

Montana and Rice were 49ers for life as well. If the team sucks this year, I could see him going to a team like Carolina  or Jacksonville near home.  Bears would love to have him and the league would ejaculate if he went there.  Franchise Tag for WR will be enormous next year. 

4 straight seasons without h playoffs would probably get old for a stud like AJ,  it did for Barry Sanders and Megatron. 

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

Montana and Rice were 49ers for life as well. If the team sucks this year, I could see him going to a team like Carolina  or Jacksonville near home.  Bears would love to have him and the league would ejaculate if he went there.  Franchise Tag for WR will be enormous next year. 

4 straight seasons without h playoffs would probably get old for a stud like AJ,  it did for Barry Sanders and Megatron. 

Right. Perfect logic. However this is still the MB Bengals. He will probably be willing to over pay AJ just to keep him on the team.  

From my outside view looking in it seems MB is willing to bend over backwards for his favorites. I can't imagine AJ not being one of his top faves.

AJ = Marv Lewis 2.0?  Certainly not yet but definitely could head that direction. 

23 minutes ago, Catfish Bob said:

Right. Perfect logic. However this is still the MB Bengals. He will probably be willing to over pay AJ just to keep him on the team.  

From my outside view looking in it seems MB is willing to bend over backwards for his favorites. I can't imagine AJ not being one of his top faves.

AJ = Marv Lewis 2.0?  Certainly not yet but definitely could head that direction. 

I don’t think Brown has ever overpaid for a player.  He has extended guys he likes and paid them what they are worth. Sure, a few ended up not playing well or quitting but you can’t predict that.

He will offer him a fair deal if AJ is healthy. The issue might be that some other team offers him considerably more and if the team struggles he might leave. 

3 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Like he overpaid for Whit who should have been a Bengal for life?

3 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Like he overpaid for Whit who should have been a Bengal for life?

Come on now, the left tackle position is over rated and we had a first rounder waiting in the wings. Just a greedy move by Whit to get paid what he was worth and besides it didn’t help the Rams with a Super Bowl or anything. 

• 2 weeks later...

The timetable for A.J. Green's return is still unclear, Bengals coach Zac Taylor said on Sunday. The team's top wide receiver is expected to miss multiple games with an ankle injury he sustained during the opening practice of the preseason. Taylor said he expects to have a better grasp of when Green will return after the roster is trimmed to 53 players.

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41074247-4

Archived