Green out 16 to 18 weeks (update 4)

28 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

The timetable for A.J. Green's return is still unclear, Bengals coach Zac Taylor said on Sunday. The team's top wide receiver is expected to miss multiple games with an ankle injury he sustained during the opening practice of the preseason. Taylor said he expects to have a better grasp of when Green will return after the roster is trimmed to 53 players.

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41074247-4

What difference does the squad size have to do with timetable to return from injury? 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

What difference does the squad size have to do with timetable to return from injury? 

Because Taylor is operating on a football calendar.  That's probably his next scheduled major press conference or fits the doc's timetable etc. What most ppl might call "after lunch" is kickoff time in his mind right now.

"Taylor said he expects to have a better grasp of when Green will return after the roster is trimmed to 53 players."

Either the quote was taken wrong, or he didn't communicate the meaning. 

AJ will return when AJ returns. No connection to when the roster is cut down. Now, if it is intended to mean who he might keep, dependent on when AJ returns, that would make more sense

19 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

"Taylor said he expects to have a better grasp of when Green will return after the roster is trimmed to 53 players."

Either the quote was taken wrong, or he didn't communicate the meaning. 

AJ will return when AJ returns. No connection to when the roster is cut down. Now, if it is intended to mean who he might keep, dependent on when AJ returns, that would make more sense

You're overthinking it.  For you or I it's August 31st but for him it's "final cuts day" because that's the calendar he's operating under. Take it to mean "we'll know more a week from now once he's seen Dr. Frankenstein" or whoever.   I don't think it has anything to do with the roster itself, it's more like someone saying "I'll get back to you after my wife's birthday" when you don't even know their wife.  Man's got a lot on his mind, is all.

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Reasonable. 

Like i said, however, whatever "journalist" was quoting him, didn't communicate whatever he/she thought he said worth a shit. 

Here's the quote & the rest of the interview.   https://local12.com/sports/bengals/8-25-zac-taylor-press-conference-transcripto-line-starters-set-rookie-wr-to-start-cincinnati-nfl-pro-football-trey-hopkins-billy-price-michael-jordan-damion-willis

When do you expect to have a timetable on A.J. Green?

“There’s obviously decisions we have to make at the end of this week as it relates to the roster. We’ll have more conversations this week and see where it stands with the doctors and with A.J., and we’ll probably have more answers this weekend.”

16 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Here's the quote & the rest of the interview.   https://local12.com/sports/bengals/8-25-zac-taylor-press-conference-transcripto-line-starters-set-rookie-wr-to-start-cincinnati-nfl-pro-football-trey-hopkins-billy-price-michael-jordan-damion-willis

“There’s obviously decisions we have to make at the end of this week as it relates to the roster. We’ll have more conversations this week and see where it stands with the doctors and with A.J., and we’ll probably have more answers this weekend.”

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/25/a-j-green-injury-boot-scooter-practice/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

Still in a boot and riding a scooter as of Sunday.

John Ross got lost in the tunnel and couldn't even find the field.

2 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/25/a-j-green-injury-boot-scooter-practice/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

Still in a boot and riding a scooter as of Sunday.

John Ross got lost in the tunnel and couldn't even find the field.

He goes on to say Ross is on the 53, if there was any doubt.  I guess if he shows up Thursday against the Colts we could trade him.  I wonder what they'd give us for him & Driskell right now?

Just now, T-Dub said:

He goes on to say Ross is on the 53, if there was any doubt.  I guess if he shows up Thursday against the Colts we could trade him.  I wonder what they'd give us for him & Driskell right now?

How about Ross and Bernard for Trent Williams (and a draft choice?)?

Gio's last year, anyway, probably, and considering our track record with first round

draft choices I am skeptical that Jonah will come back 100%

If he does, I would put injury prone Glenn on the trade market with Williams and Williams at OT.

Glenn can't even make it through preseason.

We have to do something spectacular and un-Bengal like to make a statement to the fans if nothing else.

Last "big move" I can remember us making was trading up to take Ki-Jana Carter.

16 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

How about Ross and Bernard for Trent Williams (and a draft choice?)?

Gio's last year, anyway, probably, and considering our track record with first round

draft choices I am skeptical that Jonah will come back 100%

If he does, I would put injury prone Glenn on the trade market with Williams and Williams at OT.

Glenn can't even make it through preseason.

We have to do something spectacular and un-Bengal like to make a statement to the fans if nothing else.

Last "big move" I can remember us making was trading up to take Ki-Jana Carter.

Declaring Willis a starter before the 4th preseason game surprised me, as did Hopkins at C.   Our OTs look like hell though, you're right.   A move there could really accelerate things.

59 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Declaring Willis a starter before the 4th preseason game surprised me, as did Hopkins at C.   Our OTs look like hell though, you're right.   A move there could really accelerate things.

You made a couple comments in another thread about the Hopkins move that I liked.

I wonder if this is to light a fire under Billy Price (who I really like) or he is more hurt than they are letting on.

I would not be surprised.

I want to hear who is starting at linebacker.  

Pratt over ... ??  Hope so.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Wonderful. That is a direct quote--and to an understandable point. Which beats  "Taylor said he expects to have a better grasp of when Green will return after the roster is trimmed to 53 players."

7 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I don't AJ will be before the bye, I can see him coming back on November 10th vs Ravens at home. 

No reason for him to rush back,  especially when he is a free agent at the end of the season. He's still in a boot so that means he can't do any rehab or strength conditioning. 

You’re projecting, what, week 10? Why is that?

The surgery he had has atleast a 12 week recovery time, its been 4 weeks so he has 8 weeks to go which would be the end of October.

The next game is after the bye, November 10th...week 10 for the NFL but the 9th game for the Bengals. 

It's going to take some time for Green to go from not walking to playing in the NFL, no reason to rush him back in what is essentially a rebuilding year. 

7 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

The surgery he had has atleast a 12 week recovery time, its been 4 weeks so he has 8 weeks to go which would be the end of October.

The next game is after the bye, November 10th...week 10 for the NFL but the 9th game for the Bengals. 

It's going to take some time for Green to go from not walking to playing in the NFL, no reason to rush him back in what is essentially a rebuilding year. 

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm not projecting when he will be back but I pretty much consider this season to be a wash.

I definitely do want to see him sign an extension and would love to see him retire a Bengal some day.

I would not be shocked to see Ross on some sort of IR, too, just to open up a roster space.

One of the roster spaces will go to a dumpster dive waived OT cast off from some other team.

Would not mind seeing Jonah on the 53 man roster and IRed to maybe get him some playing time at the end

of the season when Glenn is injured and Bobby Hart plays up to his previous level.  An injured Jonah can jump

offsides as well as a healthy Hart.

While I'm on a roll...

Trade Gio.  Package him with something and go after Trent Williams

or another decent OT.  Gio isn't going to be here next year, anyway, and

the two youngercheaper  RBs look like they can step in and step up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived