On a positive note......

With all the crap raining down in the form of injuries, it's certainly felt like there's not much to get excited about. That's changed some for me after reading and watching the comments coming out of this camp. I know we've heard it all summer but now there's a little more detail about how dynamic this offensive (and maybe even defensive) schemes could turn out to be.

You're starting to hear about the variety of positions that all the wide receivers can assume along with different motions and plays they might run.

Just think how refreshing (and hopefully successful) this is going to be compared to Marvin's utterly predictable playbook.

My hope is that this might even cover up some of our talent deficit.

I fell a little better now.  😎

The injuries have been a real downer for sure. I was admittedly really excited to see what a new regime could do with a full strength crew. Then Jonah got hurt. Now AJ is gonna miss reg season games. Price and Ross already "dinged"....

If Eifert can at least stay healthy until AJ is back, i think that will lessen the blow to the receiving corps. Sample can hopefully help in the way of blocking. Boyd can fill in as a #1 I think. We just really REALLY need other receivers to step up. Legit expecting nothing from Ross as far as moving the sticks, but if he has redzone aptitude like last year (how I'm not sure), it'd help. If Erickson can become Cupp and Malone/Core/Tate actually become somewhat decent we can stay afloat. I think I read somewhere on the board that a 2-2 start without AJ is possible, and I agree.

Like you said, it is really all coming down to the new coaching staff for maintaining optimism. If these guys can coach the players up who knows? It's just getting to the point where more and more things to happen perfectly in order to be successful. 

32 minutes ago, Griever said:

The injuries have been a real downer for sure. I was admittedly really excited to see what a new regime could do with a full strength crew. Then Jonah got hurt. Now AJ is gonna miss reg season games. Price and Ross already "dinged"....

If Eifert can at least stay healthy until AJ is back, i think that will lessen the blow to the receiving corps. Sample can hopefully help in the way of blocking. Boyd can fill in as a #1 I think. We just really REALLY need other receivers to step up. Legit expecting nothing from Ross as far as moving the sticks, but if he has redzone aptitude like last year (how I'm not sure), it'd help. If Erickson can become Cupp and Malone/Core/Tate actually become somewhat decent we can stay afloat. I think I read somewhere on the board that a 2-2 start without AJ is possible, and I agree.

Like you said, it is really all coming down to the new coaching staff for maintaining optimism. If these guys can coach the players up who knows? It's just getting to the point where more and more things to happen perfectly in order to be successful. 

Its all going to come down to the Oline and its ability to properly run and pass block. The team has the skill position players to do well even without AJ a few games. 

23 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Its all going to come down to the Oline and its ability to properly run and pass block. The team has the skill position players to do well even without AJ a few games. 

Good point, not to mention the AFC Rushing leader and Gio who are pretty good pass catchers in their own right. Gotta win in the trenches!

25 minutes ago, Griever said:

Good point, not to mention the AFC Rushing leader and Gio who are pretty good pass catchers in their own right. Gotta win in the trenches!

Lets not forget our defense was a bigger issue than offense last year. We tend to forget this since our defense has been quite a bit better than the O for quite some time.  Unless we can vastly improve over the dead last spot, it will still be a long season most likely. 

I'll admit I bailed on last year's team and quit watching, and furthermore I know nothing about evaluating talent.  So, maybe someone can answer this for me.  How much of that last-place defensive ranking was lack of talent and how much of it was lack of intensity and desire?  How much of it was injuries?  It would seem that a lapse here and a lapse there could really let the yards add up and skew the numbers. Could improved health and increased intensity bring them up to the middle of the pack?

5 minutes ago, Bleeds Orange said:

I'll admit I bailed on last year's team and quit watching, and furthermore I know nothing about evaluating talent.  So, maybe someone can answer this for me.  How much of that last-place defensive ranking was lack of talent and how much of it was lack of intensity and desire?  How much of it was injuries?  It would seem that a lapse here and a lapse there could really let the yards add up and skew the numbers. Could improved health and increased intensity bring them up to the middle of the pack?

I dont use injuries mental lapses and fortitude as excyses...

Every team could use those examples....

This oline is ranked near the bottom for a reason..

When you go three and out as much as they did your defense wears down..

Penalties kill drives too..

Hopefully this new coach can cirrect some issues to make them at least competitive...

50 minutes ago, Bleeds Orange said:

The defense started off the season so bad that even though they were average for the last few weeks of the season it didn't help their overall rankings. 

Losing the time of possession and not having any coverage LB's killed them as well, they couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs last year.

If they can win the T.O.P, get a more consistent pass rusher and find a couple of LB's that can cover the defense should be fine...however we have no idea what the defensive coordinator will do from a schematic perspective. 

On 7/29/2019 at 7:51 AM, HOF dan said:

With all the crap raining down in the form of injuries, it's certainly felt like there's not much to get excited about. That's changed some for me after reading and watching the comments coming out of this camp. I know we've heard it all summer but now there's a little more detail about how dynamic this offensive (and maybe even defensive) schemes could turn out to be.

You're starting to hear about the variety of positions that all the wide receivers can assume along with different motions and plays they might run.

Just think how refreshing (and hopefully successful) this is going to be compared to Marvin's utterly predictable playbook.

My hope is that this might even cover up some of our talent deficit.

I fell a little better now.  😎

Thanks for this thread. So tired of the constant doom and sadness. Frankly, I am super interested in what a fresh approach and new coaches and new coaching might do to breathe life back into what is still, at its core, a group of very talented players.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Thanks for this thread. So tired of the constant doom and sadness. Frankly, I am super interested in what a fresh approach and new coaches and new coaching might do to breathe life back into what is still, at its core, a group of very talented players.

This is where I’m at. The big thing is seeing if a fresh, younger coaching staff can manage to gameplan and scheme based on the talent in the building. That is, acknowledging round pegs and creating round holes for them to play within. 

It’s tough to tell how shitty or lackluster some of our guys truly were the past couple seasons and how much of it was just shitty, uninspired and unbending coaching.

I am a believer that good coaching and teaching actually can make a difference, even at the NFL level. Time and time again New England, for instance, has been able to weather tough mid season injuries and still win championships. 

Archived