Bengals vs Chiefs preseason game thread...

Finley looked promising. 

Dalton looked decent. 

DBs can't tackle. Blame the NFL for not allowing hits. 

Would the final score be much different if both teams played #1s for the whole game?  I doubt. 

5-11 this season? Probably   

0-6 in division play? Likely

Ocho comes out of retirement? 50/50

Fans whip out the MB brown bags by week 8? Possible

Week 10 ol Marv is on ESPN serving up his opinion on how to fix this team? Fitting

Zach Taylor pulls a petrino and bails? Believable

Dalton doesn't play full season? Highly likely

I actually did see some of the game since I was at a friend’s 50th birthday at a bar.  What was most apparent was that Driskel is too inaccurate to be an NFL QB.

The left tackle who backed up Glenn looked terrible.  

Dalton was Dalton which isn’t a bad thing.  Got some great depth at WR. 

The  middle of our defense was exploited a lot. 

Again, I probably saw maybe 25% of the plays for what it is worth and didn’t hear any of the commentary which could be a good thing. 

- That was not the offense we're going to see in the regular season. WR was motioning well before the play was occurring. I expect the fake (and real) jet sweeps to be a staple when the season starts. Hopefully that will slow down the LB's, because the run-blocking left much to be desired. 

- Defense looked slow and un-athletic. I know KC is probably the fastest team in the league, but how else should you measure yourself? Gotta figure out a way to play faster if you actually want to compete. 

- Andrew Brown and Hubbard were the bright spots on defense. Didn't see much from anyone else. I guess you could lump in Phillips as well, but those muffed punts were embarrassing. 

-I still believe this will ultimately be better than Marvin's last few seasons, but my God, please stop with the penalties. It's nauseating. Just beating yourselves before the other team ever has a chance. 

28 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I just saw bits and pieces of the game, but I have noticed in the comments posted since that there is no mention of Bobby Hart.  

Did he play?  

I thought the 1st string o-line played well, Hart included.  His problem is consistency and he wasn't out there long enough to see if he can be consistent.

Didn't see our scoring drive, but did notice a couple of things that really stood out.

Driskell is not a NFL QB. Highly inaccurate in his throws. Would be very surprised if he makes the 53

Lippett struggled bad on defense. Doesn't read plays well and his pass interference call was justified. All he needed to do was turn around and he would have had the interception.

Darius Phillips actually played well, but he definitely isn't a returner.

Malone played well, but dropped a pass going across the middle.

Tate played very well. I would love to see him, Eifert, AJ, and Boyd on the field at the same time.

WR will be our strength this year

21 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Interesting stuff, got a couple questions/comments:

More than it has the past 5+ years? Because that's really been the gameplan for as long as he's been here.  3-step drop & pray he doesn't get hit too hard.  Fully expect him to miss games again this year behind our discount OL.

As they have been since the year 2015? I do like the idea of him being a strictly passing-down guy, they probably should've done that a long time ago.  At this point though they're afraid to even play him and I don't see how you keep carrying someone like that on a limited roster.  By any rational measure he should be retired before he cripples himself any further.

The formations and routes are different, a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets with guys running similar routes that gives Dalton multiple options.

The oline held up well,  but KC didn't have their premier pass rushers playing so that is not neccesarily a true indicator of what the season will be.

I'm with you on Eifert, I think it sends the wrong message to the team and if he can't play like everyone else then maybe he shouldn't be on the team...but the Bengals have invested heavily in him and are going to give him every opportunity to succeed. 

7 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Sound familiar?

“I wish I could tell you after watching the tape that I felt better about the game yesterday. We didn’t execute very well and we paid a dear price — starting with (not) making first downs early in the game and being able to stay on the field (offensively), then defensively and our miscue on special teams. We led to our own demise early in the game, particularly in the first half. We couldn’t get anything going (on offense), except for the one drive. On defense, we didn’t execute by getting to the right spots, and obviously the tackling was a disappointment. We have to do a better job.”

“What causes issues with tackling? You have to go and you have to tackle. You have to do a better job. I wish there was a magic word or button to press, but there isn’t.”

“Again, they have some good people in the open field. We know that, but you have to get guys to the ball and be there to finish the play. We had some unblocked guys at the point of attack, but we didn’t make tackles and plays, which makes the scope of the down and distance a lot different. The No. 1 attribute of playing defense is being able to tackle. It’s a ‘want-to, a got-to and a have-to get it done’ (attitude).”

---You Know Who

15 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I'm with you on Eifert, I think it sends the wrong message to the team 

That's what bugs me about it, I don't "hate Eifert", in fact using he & Ross both in the right spots could definitely pay off but why risk it in a game when they don't show up to practice every day?  There are equally talented guys that do show up & they want the ball, too.

Archived