Bengals OG Christian Westerman is UN-RETIRING

Bengals OG Christian Westerman is retiring from the NFL after three seasons.

It's the second offensive lineman the Bengals have lost to retirement with Clint Boling forced out due to health issues. Westerman was in the mix to start, so this is a blow for Cincy. John Jerry and Michael Jordan will compete opposite RG John Miller

https://www.bengals.com/news/westerman-placed-on-exempt-left-squad

The Bengals today placed G Christian Westerman on the Exempt/Left Squad list.

Westerman, a fourth-year player, originally was a fifth-round draft pick of the Bengals in 2016. He has played in 16 career games, with two starts.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

oof..  can't help but feel like

nyco_rats.jpg

Meh, guy was a borderline player on a terrible offensive line. Writing was on the walll.  Good for him and good luck.  Wasn’t jumping ship, was getting on with his life. 

Guy was top shelf everywhere he was: consensus HS all-American...cream of the PAC 12 crop at guard. Never a head case/problem anywhere. His one mistake was coming here...where recently all linemen come to die. 

I have a feeling that the NFL has not heard the last of Christian Westerman. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Montana Bengal said:

hunch or there is?

I can't say.  ... and no, that's not a convenient excuse. 

34 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Guy was top shelf everywhere he was: consensus HS all-American...cream of the PAC 12 crop at guard. Never a head case/problem anywhere. His one mistake was coming here...where recently all linemen come to die. 

Don't forget his grades while in the NFL.  However, there is always more than grades while playing for the Bengals which could qualify for the Jerry Springer show at times...  This could be the last we hear from him.

However, if someone really wanted a real answer they would ask a "consultant.". Maybe one that's been around a "few" years...  ...and that is only "IF" Son of Paul has not gagged him.

This is not a Miami thing either as someone has already asked me.  Although, there were several connections to them, including his mother.  Note:  Coaches tend to copy other people's notes on players...

2 hours ago, Numbers said:

Don't forget his grades while in the NFL.  However, there is always more than grades while playing for the Bengals which could qualify for the Jerry Springer show at times...  This could be the last we hear from him.

However, if someone really wanted a real answer they would ask a "consultant.". Maybe one that's been around a "few" years...  ...and that is only "IF" Son of Paul has not gagged him.

This is not a Miami thing either as someone has already asked me.  Although, there were several connections to them, including his mother.  Note:  Coaches tend to copy other people's notes on players...

So did OL coach Turner have someone threaten to rape his family, too?

Only the highest of standards for the Bengals.

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

He was a 5th round pick.  That means Mr Top shelf was passed by every team at least 4 times before ending up in Cincy.  He was a borderline backup on the perhaps the worst o line in the NFL. He and AJ McCarron were robbed. 

8 hours ago, Numbers said:

Although your irony is detected, I will dutifully object to dismissing the Bully's role in all of this. 

13 hours ago, Numbers said:

There is a wee bit more to this story than is being reported...  Just a hunch.

I always thought he was victimized by Marvin's patented favoritism of playing and continuing to play poorer players

as if to prove a point.  I can't even recall the name of the ass hat guard Marv played forever while CW sat as if

Marv was trying to prove a point with the loser that he, Marv, was right, as always and the guy was going to come

around and Marv could say "I told you so".

The team, as well as CW, suffered because of Marv's massive ego.

What a fucking crime.  CW looked good when he was in there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

I always thought he was victimized by Marvin's patented favoritism of playing and continuing to play poorer players

as if to prove a point.  I can't even recall the name of the ass hat guard Marv played forever while CW sat as if

Marv was trying to prove a point with the loser that he, Marv, was right, as always and the guy was going to come

around and Marv could say "I told you so".

The team, as well as CW, suffered because of Marv's massive ego.

What a fucking crime.  CW looked good when he was in there.

Lol....Marvin has nothing to do with Westerman decision,  you're acting like he's a future HOF player. Dude was 5th round pick that couldn't beat out Alex Redmond and countless other stiffs for a starting gig. How many teams are beating down the door to acquire him via trade? 3 different NFL line coaches have decided to not start him....

I was wondering how long it was going to take before someone blamed Marvin Lewis for this and here it is....

• Upvote 1

People on here acting like Westerman is the victim of some grand conspiracy to stifle his development and keep him off the field, like he's John Conner and the Bengals oline coaches are various iterations of the Terminator sent to destroy him are hilarious at best seemed detected from reality in this situation. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Consensus HS All American doesn't guarantee you an starting NFL gig, I know you know that. Cream of the PAC 12 crop is a stretch, he made 2nd All PAC 12 once.

If anyone's heart isn't in it, it's Westerman, not Ross.  Westerman was only playing because his was trying to please the old man, he'd probably be doing something else if it was up to him and that is what he's doing. 

Good for him,  he's living his life and not trying to please others..#YOLO.

A highly rated Guard (with high marks from PFF) is not going to simply be ignored by other teams.  He is still under contract from the Bengals, therefore teams are not beating down the door but are possibly in contact with management.  There are only a handful of reasons for not starting an individual that by all other observations and grades is a starting Guard.  Note:  We're not talking about grades from self professed experts on this board but verifiable stats from recognized experts.

For those that believe that the NFL is always based upon merit have not been paying attention.  Blackballing exists whether a fan is too blind to admit it or not.

Giving up a little over 700 thousand should make a person go hmmm... 

As LeTigre would state, "Anything you say..." to which I respond, "Things a consultant might say..."   1.  I am not at liberty to say.  2.  This is above your paygrade.

• Upvote 1