Bengals OG Christian Westerman is UN-RETIRING

1 hour ago, Numbers said:

A highly rated Guard (with high marks from PFF) is not going to simply be ignored by other teams.  He is still under contract from the Bengals, therefore teams are not beating down the door but are possibly in contact with management.  There are only a handful of reasons for not starting an individual that by all other observations and grades is a starting Guard.  Note:  We're not talking about grades from self professed experts on this board but verifiable stats from recognized experts.

For those that believe that the NFL is always based upon merit have not been paying attention.  Blackballing exists whether a fan is too blind to admit it or not.

Giving up a little over 700 thousand should make a person go hmmm... 

As LeTigre would state, "Anything you say..." to which I respond, "Things a consultant might say..."   1.  I am not at liberty to say.  2.  This is above your paygrade.

You do realize that PFF grades are very opinion based and not truly a result of advanced analytics. 

I know that some PFF guys are in fact Bengals fans, since PFF operates out of Cincinnati and is owned partly by Collinsworth, maybe some of that unintentional basis has crept into their judgment of Westerman. 

I would not use a week 14 PFF grade as justification for the Westerman hype that exists amongst some Bengals fans.  He's the backup QB of the oline, the most popular player who never plays.

I seriously doubt 3 NFL oline coaches have decided that he's a backup but PFF and certain fans know better. 

1 hour ago, SmoothD said:

Wonder if this had to do anything with the new OL coach.

Remember, dude is old school and a hard ass if I'm not mistaken

Eh, I guess that's one way to put it.  He was run out of the league for doing things like encouraging a player to leave voice mails threatening to rape another player's sister & murder his family. Repeatedly. So y'know, not exactly Mike Ditka material.  Then at Texas A&M he's asked to give a seminar on football to the local ladies & decides to spice it up with a bunch of crude sexual innuendo.  To a bunch of player's moms & older alumni.  

Short answer, guy's simply a dirtbag and makes a mockery of all the team's talk about changing the perception of the franchise and high-character guys and blah blah fucking blah.  Redeemer doesn't give a damn if you eat babies so long as he gets a discount.  Then he gets to pat himself on the back for being such a good person in giving said baby-eater a 2nd chance. It's total bullshit & a big part of why his team goes nowhere.

That aside, I seriously doubt Coach Restraining Order is going to turn chickenshit into chicken salad on our OL by screaming at them louder.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Eh, I guess that's one way to put it.  He was run out of the league for doing things like encouraging a player to leave voice mails threatening to rape another player's sister & murder his family. Repeatedly. So y'know, not exactly Mike Ditka material.  Then at Texas A&M he's asked to give a seminar on football to the local ladies & decides to spice it up with a bunch of crude sexual innuendo.  To a bunch of player's moms & older alumni.  

Short answer, guy's simply a dirtbag and makes a mockery of all the team's talk about changing the perception of the franchise and high-character guys and blah blah fucking blah.  Redeemer doesn't give a damn if you eat babies so long as he gets a discount.  Then he gets to pat himself on the back for being such a good person in giving said baby-eater a 2nd chance. It's total bullshit & a big part of why his team goes nowhere.

That aside, I seriously doubt Coach Restraining Order is going to turn chickenshit into chicken salad on our OL by screaming at them louder.  

#NewDey or whatever the fuck this dumbass tagline is....but Taylor vouched for him and he's a good guy despite his gruff exterior...he's just misunderstood that's all

3 hours ago, Numbers said:

A highly rated Guard (with high marks from PFF) is not going to simply be ignored by other teams.  He is still under contract from the Bengals, therefore teams are not beating down the door but are possibly in contact with management.  There are only a handful of reasons for not starting an individual that by all other observations and grades is a starting Guard.  Note:  We're not talking about grades from self professed experts on this board but verifiable stats from recognized experts.

For those that believe that the NFL is always based upon merit have not been paying attention.  Blackballing exists whether a fan is too blind to admit it or not.

Giving up a little over 700 thousand should make a person go hmmm... 

As LeTigre would state, "Anything you say..." to which I respond, "Things a consultant might say..."   1.  I am not at liberty to say.  2.  This is above your paygrade.

Same diatribe that proclaimed AJ McCarron should be a starting QB. Funny how that worked out.   Maybe he tried to take a knee like Kap.  Yes, it was a grand conspiracy by Marvin to keep a starting caliber O lineman on the bench and start trash instead with his job on the line. That is what happened. 

8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Same diatribe that proclaimed AJ McCarron should be a starting QB. Funny how that worked out.   Maybe he tried to take a knee like Kap.  Yes, it was a grand conspiracy by Marvin to keep a starting caliber O lineman on the bench and start trash instead with his job on the line. That is what happened. 

yeah... ole marv didn't like playing rooks... but I 100% agree with this. 

No way he wouldn't have played him if he was good... and then another regime overlooks him.. It's not like he was trying to break in to one of the best lines ever or something.. 

and AJ sucks...he's almost as bad as Driskel  

It's possible Westerman realized he was losing the LG job when making his decision to retire.  The new staff apparently reached the same conclusion the last one did.  Lapham has repeatedly said Westerman had issues with consistency and mental errors.  Physically he looks the part and he's put some good tape together in his limited chances to play.  I'm not sure if he wanted to keep playing as a backup or if he had some sort of ailment that pushed him that direction.  

10 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I know that some PFF guys are in fact Bengals fans, since PFF operates out of Cincinnati and is owned partly by Collinsworth, maybe some of that unintentional basis has crept into their judgment of Westerman.  

Collinsworth a Bengals fan? Give me a fucking break.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

To be fair - isn't that exactly what happened with Evan Mathis and 'Nasty Nate'?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Kind of like when Bill "Tiger" Johnson and Sam Wyche both resigned?

Someone should have kicked Johnson in the nuts.  We might never have heard the mention of Heinz Field if it wasn't for his spawn.

Don't forget to add Bill Walsh. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Numbers said:

It doesn't fit with their version, therefore it isn't true...  There are others.

Calling it a "Grand Conspiracy" makes it sound like JFK or something.  It's not a grand conspiracy at all, people are just petty like that sometimes.  And maybe Evan Mathis was smoking crack or kept falling asleep in meetings, we don't know.  If you don't trust the coaches making those decisions you get new ones.  That's where we are now, finally, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

5 hours ago, Numbers said:

It doesn't fit with their version, therefore it isn't true...  There are others.

I don’t remember Mathis quitting. Contract was up, signed with the Eagles and played well.  Again, Zac Taylor is the current coach, not Marvin. 

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41073845-4

Offensive lineman Christian Westerman has rejoined the Bengals, the team announced Wednesday. Westerman was placed on the team's left squad/exempt list last week and did not play in the team's presason game at Washington. Coach Zac Taylor said Westerman was dealing with a personal issue but did not disclose any other details. Cincinnati's fifth-round pick in the 2016 draft started training camp as one of the potential options to be the team's starting left guard.

• SF2 changed the title to Bengals OG Christian Westerman is UN-RETIRING
  • SF2 featured this topic