Giants at Bengals Preseason game

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

You can't bullshit a run game. Passing you can call the little 5-yard routes & screens, move the pocket or max protect and let 6-7 guys block 4. All kinds of ways to hide a shit OL in the passing game, at least until defenses figure it out and start jumping the short routes.  Instead of sacks you get interceptions, but nobody will blame the OL for those.

Run game, your OL actually has to man up and beat people 1v1.  We haven't had an OL that could reliably do that in years.  What we do have is a zone scheme that seems to call for standing around shuffling your feet & looking lost. I would think blocking the wrong guy is better than blocking nobody. If you trail in enough games defenses will let your RB run free & kill clock, and the stats will make it look like you have great run blocking.. When trailing by 2+ scores in the 2nd half.

The reality is our OL sucks hind tit at both.

The O-line sucks right now and there's no way it could be decent with all the shuffling but it is amazing that this O-line blocked for the most productive RB in the AFC last yr. They need to settle on a 5 man line and coach 'em up. I'll also add that there are run O-lines and passing O-lines. I think this will be a passing O-line. No question this is the weakest link on this mediocre team. If this coaching staff can coach them up to middle of the road it'd be a huge accomplishment. Those of you who want to see QBs other than Dalton this yr will get your wish. I can't see him staying healthy behind this line at his age.

As for Ryan Finley, sure he's doing quite well for a rookie but his physical skills are really limiting. He's a soft tosser. Teams need not worry about him going over their heads. Do we really want Andy Dalton II?

1 hour ago, Sea Ray said:

The O-line sucks right now and there's no way it could be decent with all the shuffling but it is amazing that this O-line blocked for the most productive RB in the AFC last yr. They need to settle on a 5 man line and coach 'em up. I'll also add that there are run O-lines and passing O-lines. I think this will be a passing O-line. No question this is the weakest link on this mediocre team. If this coaching staff can coach them up to middle of the road it'd be a huge accomplishment. Those of you who want to see QBs other than Dalton this yr will get your wish. I can't see him staying healthy behind this line at his age.

As for Ryan Finley, sure he's doing quite well for a rookie but his physical skills are really limiting. He's a soft tosser. Teams need not worry about him going over their heads. Do we really want Andy Dalton II?

As a backup that is ideal to be just like the starter. 

1 minute ago, SmoothD said:

Can someone please tell me what do they have against starting Trey Hopkins at center and putting Billy Price at LG?

Seems like such a logical move.

Clearly Hopkins plays center much better than he plays guard

I believe Hopkins will start game one at center..

Price's foot issue is preventing him from 

maximum push in run game...

Would you like to see Jordan and Price at guards with Hopkins at center sometime this season ?

2 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I believe Hopkins will start game one at center..

Price's foot issue is preventing him from 

maximum push in run game...

Would you like to see Jordan and Price at guards with Hopkins at center sometime this season ?

Absolutely 😁

7 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

I'll also add that there are run O-lines and passing O-lines.

I disagree, they can either block or they can't.   Like I was saying, it's a lot easier to hide a bad OL with scheme in the passing game.  It's not that they're better at pass blocking, it's that they're being asked to do less vs run blocking.  

I'd also point out that this OL hasn't exactly distinguished itself in either area.

New York Giants 25, Cincinnati Bengals 23

1. The youth movement in Cincinnati doesn't just extend to its fresh-faced coach. The Bengals' young skill position players were the focus of their first home preseason game. Wideouts Damion Willis andAuden Tate started instead of the injured A.J. Green and John Ross, and Rodney Anderson got an extended amount of run in lieu of Joe Mixon and Giovani Bernard. Willis was a favorite of all three of Cincy's QBs, catching three balls on six targets for 55 yards and a score. Anderson wasn't much on the ground but the shifty rookie caught four passes for 51 yards out of the backfield. Tate left with a knee injury. Perhaps the Bengals' offensive depth is better off than we thought.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001043652/article/what-we-learned-from-thursdays-preseason-games

30 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

New York Giants 25, Cincinnati Bengals 23

Perhaps the Bengals' offensive depth is better off than we thought.

Great depth at WR & RB, thin at TE with Sample nursing a hamstring injury and Eifert being made of rare chandeliers.  Decent backup QB.

They're all just spinning rims on a Pinto if the OL isn't upgraded.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:19 PM, T-Dub said:

I disagree, they can either block or they can't.   Like I was saying, it's a lot easier to hide a bad OL with scheme in the passing game.  It's not that they're better at pass blocking, it's that they're being asked to do less vs run blocking.  

I'd also point out that this OL hasn't exactly distinguished itself in either area.

We agree that this line sucks at everything at this point

Archived