Andrew Luck retiring.....

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

You think NBA and MLB players mutilate their bodies?  LOL.  And yes, they are paid huge amounts of money to entertain me the paying fan.  They know the risks and the MASSIVE rewards when they sign their contracts.  You male worshipping fan boys need to get a room, break out the baby oil and have at it. 

Not so much, but NFL and NHL guys are putting their future on the line.  If any of them decide it isn't worth it, they are right. 

Maybe you fake hardass guys should get together and pretend to be tough.  Sounds like an NFL tailgate.

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

I never said he owned anyone shit. He made his money and quit.  He played 6 seasons and will be forgotten soon. Why you guys think he is great is beyond me.  Ken Anderson was great, Luck is just some dude who made his money and got out.   Why you guys have hard on for Andrew Luck is beyond me.  

Never said he was great.  I say he is smart for leaving while he can.  I'm not praising him, but think those, like you, who criticize him are way off base.

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

Hopefully AJ Green is smart enough to quit.  He has been thru enough on this team. 

He wouldn't be stupid to do so.  No need to live the rest of your life with more medical issues than needed.

Unfortunately, too many pro athletes don't know anything else.  The best/worst example I can think of is Ryan Shazier.  My god....for him to even think of playing again.  He has children to raise.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

LOL, get off my lawn Andrew Luck you quitter.   And I simply don’t understand the hero worship for a QB who played 6 whole season. 

You have to factor in the media hype that he has received since college, he was billed as the second coming of Peyton Manning and was the face of the league this year in many national marketing campaigns. 

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

You have to factor in the media hype that he has received since college, he was billed as the second coming of Peyton Manning and was the face of the league this year in many national marketing campaigns. 

Yeah, there is some truth to this but he has never had the stage presence like a Brady or Brees  It is amazing how quickly it can change, last year Jimmy Garrapolo was the next greatest thing, now it rightfully is Mahomes and unrightfully the asshole in Cleveland. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

He wouldn't be stupid to do so.  No need to live the rest of your life with more medical issues than needed.

Unfortunately, too many pro athletes don't know anything else.  The best/worst example I can think of is Ryan Shazier.  My god....for him to even think of playing again.  He has children to raise.

I was stunned that Manning came back after neck/vertebrae surgery.  

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, there is some truth to this but he has never had the stage presence like a Brady or Brees  It is amazing how quickly it can change, last year Jimmy Garrapolo was the next greatest thing, now it rightfully is Mahomes and unrightfully the asshole in Cleveland. 

Was thinking that the new run-around types, will fade like ice in July. Then again, since no one can hit them, maybe they don't. Fran Tarkenton remarkably could do it--even when he was liable to be squashed like a bug when he left the pocket. 

I really think that as the salary cap continues to increase and players make more money, especially the higher dollar skill positions, we will see more Luck type scenarios.  Rookies make around $500k minimum and for 7 year vets it's $1 million and of course the skill positions can be be $5--$10--$15 million and more for the QB's.

With more research on CTE, plus all the other injuries to football players almost anyone can walk away from NFL football after a few years with a small nest egg at minimum and many will have much, much more.  The one's like Luck who spend more time rehabbing than playing I can see walking away earlier than usual.

I don't know about others and I don't care how much I liked my job, if I was 30 with $20+ million in the bank it would be real hard for me to get up and go to work anywhere.

11 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Was thinking that the new run-around types, will fade like ice in July. Then again, since no one can hit them, maybe they don't. 

I've though the same thing, but the rules aren't consistent enough for teams to gameplan like that.  40 year old fans want to see Brady play into his 50's & live out their Uncle Rico dreams vicariously.  At the same time, fans want to see QB's they don't know getting crippled.  

Luckily for us, Goodell is an expert at talking out of both sides of his mouth, so the NFL has no problem doing both.  I don't think any team would expect their rookie scrambling QB to get the same protection as Saint Thomas of Boston.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I've though the same thing, but the rules aren't consistent enough for teams to gameplan like that.  40 year old fans want to see Brady play into his 50's & live out their Uncle Rico dreams vicariously.  At the same time, fans want to see QB's they don't know getting crippled.  

Luckily for us, Goodell is an expert at talking out of both sides of his mouth, so the NFL has no problem doing both.  I don't think any team would expect their rookie scrambling QB to get the same protection as Saint Thomas of Boston.

Well, once you scramble out of the tackle box you have no protection other than the slide.  Brady doesn’t scramble so...,

16 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Not really. 

What other, better NFL are you watching where egregious bad calls are not considered a regular part of the game?  The networks have resorted to full time shill "consultants" whose only job is trying to make sense of the random-assed officiating.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

What other, better NFL are you watching where egregious bad calls are not considered a regular part of the game?  The networks have resorted to full time shill "consultants" whose only job is trying to make sense of the random-assed officiating.

We were discussing QBs. I really haven’t seen many egregious misses when it comes to QBs getting hit.   Plenty of PI calls are missed but given the speed of the game it shouldn’t be a surprise. 

Archived