29 minutes ago, SF2 said:

2017, on the road, week 17 vs Ravens, they are playing for a playoff spot Bengals are playing for nothing.  Dalton takes the team 90 yards in the final 2 minutes of game and crushed their dreams.  Green caught a whole 2 catches for 17 yards in that game and was pretty much a non factor.  The starting tackles were Boling and Winston.  Westermann, Bodine and Hopkins rounded out the offensive line.  Dalton only got sacked 1 time.   The Bengals scored 31 points and Dalton threw 3 TDs no ints. 

And don't forget, in the Seattle game all those yards equated to 3 second half points.  Good game by Dalton but it was still a loss.

That game in BAL wasn't "far better " at best it was comparable.  Also, not sure how Dalton gets blamed for a missed FG or a RB getting stopped on 4th and 1 or a holding penalty followed by a sack when they had first and goal.  Just stop with trying to downplay his performance on Sunday.  It was unquestionably one of his best given the circumstances.

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That game in BAL wasn't "far better " at best it was comparable.  Also, not sure how Dalton gets blamed for a missed FG or a RB getting stopped on 4th and 1 or a holding penalty followed by a sack when they had first and goal.  Just stop with trying to downplay his performance on Sunday.  It was unquestionably one of his best given the circumstances.

I'd even add how he is blamed for causing the loss due to his TWO fumbles...that second one was clearly not a fumble to begin with, and even if it was, he was hit from the blindside on a last minute desperation attempt.  It's not like he made some personal mistake or tripped over his own feet and dropped the ball.  To me that's blindly taking "stats" as gospel without considering the context and inaccuracy of what really happened.

That being said, that Ravens game was pretty sweet.

15 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I am not trying to downplay it.  I thought he played well but if that was a career day for Dalton, fumbling twice in the second half and only managing 3 points then he hasn't had many good games.  Getting excited about 1 game Dalton and Ross played well in is kind of hilarious if you ask me.  The offense didn't convert.  It did a lot of good things except run the ball and score points.  Not all Dalton's fault but some of it was.

This discussion is an excellent indication of where we are as fans, praising a QB for throwing 51 times for a lot of yards in a loss.  To put it in perspective, Dree Brees has attempted 50 or more passes 17 times in his career.  The Saints record in those games is 4-13.  Sure, it looked better than last year no doubt but I just ain't the participation trophy type.  This team should be 4-4 by the bye worst case, so lets see how it goes. 

And I am sorry but I have seen this play before.  Dalton has a good game then shits his pants against a team like Cleveland at home 24-3 (2014).  Add in his inability to play well against the Stealers (3-12 lifetime) or at night or the playoffs.  He will need to give me way more than one game before I get on the wagon. 

On 9/11/2019 at 5:59 AM, SF2 said:

A career day that produced only 20 points, 2 fumbles and a loss. He has had far better days than this. 

I'm not an English major but this appears to be the definition of down playing a performance.  Just give credit where it's due that's it.  It doesn't mean anything more for Dalton than a positive start for a new season.  

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I'm not an English major but this appears to be the definition of down playing a performance.  Just give credit where it's due that's it.  It doesn't mean anything more for Dalton than a positive start for a new season.  

If someone would have simply typed, "Dalton has a great game but the Bengals couldn't capitalize" that would have worked for me.  "Career Day"?  Nah, not in loss it isn't.  51 pass attempts is WAY too many but I realize that is not his fault, it was the only thing working. 

It is still the little things that bother me, something that was rampant in the Marvin Lewis era.   The team plays very well overall but one or two little things cost them the game. Andre Smith holding on 2nd and goal from the 4, missing makeable field goals, blown coverage costs the team an easy TD, 3rd and 2 on the Seattle 16 and they take a delay of game penalty.   At least the coaches figured out what was working and made adjustments instead of looking lost in the 2nd half. 

Archived