Practice Squad

11 hours ago, oldschooler said:

The Bengals bolster their offensive line depth with an addition to the practice squad. 

By NathanBeighle  Sep 1, 2019, 2:35pm EDT

The Cincinnati Bengals are signing New York Jets offensive lineman Wyatt Miller. This report was first surfaced by Connor Hughes, a Jets’ columnist for the Athletic. 

#Jets OL Wyatt Miller, whom the team waived yesterday, is signing with the #Bengals practice squad, per source

This doesn’t come as a shock. With a few players having retired and their first-round draft pick out indefinitely, the Bengals needed help on the line. That said, Miller is help, but he won’t be much help.

Unlike many teams filling their holes via trade, the Bengals seem content with just rolling with what they have and maintaining relatively quiet. 

As for Miller, he’s a 6-foot-4, 23-year old undrafted rookie out of Central Florida. He was initially a three-star recruit and spent four seasons at UCF, helping the university shock the world.

Miller played in 95 snaps throughout four preseason games. Let’s just say he was not impressive in his first NFL look. Per Pro Football Focus (premium content), Miller, in the two games which he saw over 20 snaps, was rated under a 60 overall in both outings.

That said, let’s hope he can show something better as he’s getting another chance to keep his career going with the Bengals.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Color me unimpressed.

Stuff like this and O'Shay Duga on the 53 (for the moment) are not doing much for my confidence in the 2019 Bengals.

They had better pick up the OT from Cleveland even if they have to pay a few bucks

or trade a D lineman for an OT or quality Linebacker.

Long time until Sunday but I do not like going to war with the troops we have.

7 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I again ask: does the new HC and Bully Boy have no input into who gets looked at? 

I don't think anyone here really knows that answer for sure. Because we're not insiders.

But if I had to make an educated guess I would say YES

Why do you ask, again?

Because, I have asked multiple times in the past...and the only responses have been:

They do, but get overridden by Tobin (highly unlikely) 

Trust the process (whatever that might be)

They aren't Marvin Lewis (plus other non sequiturs) 

Your answer is the most likely. Understandably with not a ton of inside info. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Because, I have asked multiple times in the past...and the only responses have been:

They do, but get overridden by Tobin (highly unlikely) 

Trust the process (whatever that might be)

They aren't Marvin Lewis (plus other non sequiturs) 

Your answer is the most likely. Understandably with not a ton of inside info. 

As far as waived guys I would think yes but as far as going after expensive FAs, probably not much.   

The other thing we don’t know is what is the actual goal for this season?   Is this simply a one season tryout for many of the players and new coaches?  Get most of the pieces in place and trained up for a run next year?

Cincinnati worked out seven free agents on Tuesday, per NFL insider Aaron Wilson. All seven of them are either offensive linemen or linebackers.

Bengals worked out Malik Carney, Ryan Groy, LaRoy Reynolds, Sutton SMith, Connor Strachan, Josh Wells, Bryan Witzmann

There’s really just a few notable players listed here. For starters, Josh Wells is a sixth-year offensive tackle who was recently released by the Jacksonville Jaguars. He’s been a career backup with starting experience, very much like how the Bengals relied on Anthony Collins for a while. We listed Wells as a potential waiver claim a few days ago.

Wells has been in the league for years, but linebacker Sutton Smith is just a rookie. Smith was drafted by the Stealers in the sixth round of this year’s NFL Draft, and he only played the final two games of the preseason. In the Stealers’ defensive scheme, Smith was used as an edge defender, but he’d be a linebacker with the Bengals at his size (6-0, 232 pounds).

At linebacker, Smith was joined by seventh-year journeyman LaRoy Reynolds and two undrafted free agent rookies in Malik Carney and Connor Strachan. Reynolds comes must recently from the 49ers, while Carney and Strachan were waived by the Lions and Jaguars, respectively. 

Ryan Groy and Bryan Witzmann were both undrafted free agents who came into the league in 2014. Groy had been a backup and spot starter for the Bills for four years before joining the Saints this offseason. Whitzmann started for the Chiefs in 2017 and the Browns in 2018.

Archived