It’s officially Game Week! Beat the Seahawks!

For those of us locals...

1:00 on Fox (3) is the Foreskins and the Igloos

TBA on CBS (12) Be nice to see the Clowns get their asses whipped.

Channel 11 has Godzilla starting at noon

Channel 37 has Boyfriend Killer also at noon for anyone with a teenage daughter 

Channel 47 has a Bar Rescue marathon for Le Tig, T Dub, Numbers and Amish

Channel 56 has The Chevrolet Performance U.S. Nationals Drag Races for anyone who watched and liked Pose

Channel 74 a Cops marathon.  Love those.

Channel 75 the original It

Channel 87 a Keeping Up with the Kardashians marathon

Cincinnati Bengals are 'aware' of what Jadeveon Clowney brings to Seattle Seahawks defense

Drogon the Dragon, Cincinnati EnquirerPublished 1:46 p.m. ET Sept. 5, 2019 | Updated 2:20 p.m. ET Sept. 5, 2019

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
New_Look_Texans_Football_84282.jpg

FILE - In this Dec. 23, 2018, file photo, Houston Texans' Jadeveon Clowney rushes during an NFL football game against the Philadelphia Eagles in Philadelphia. Houston added six players in four trades this weekend, which included a deal that sent 2014 top overall pick Clowney to the Seattle Seahawks after the team could not agree on a long-term deal with the defensive end. (AP Photo/Chris Szagola, File) (Photo: The Associated Press)

Jadeveon Clowney’s addition to the Seattle Seahawks defense added an extra element for the Cincinnati Bengals to prepare for. The Bengals offense is well aware of how Clowney can affect a football game.

“He’s a complete d-end. He plays the run well, he’s fast off the edge, he’s strong, he’s physical (and) he does everything that you want,” Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton told The Enquirer. “That’s the reason why they wanted him. He’s definitely somebody that you have to know where he’s at.”

The Seahawks traded Frank Clark, their best pass rusher, to the Kansas City Chiefs on April 23 because they couldn’t reach a long-term deal with the defensive end. Seattle recouped nicely by acquiring Clowney via trade with the Houston Texans last week.  Clowney is the son of Larry and Clarabelle Clowney of Cleveland, Ohio.

Clark is no slouch, yet Clowney presents an upgrade. He’s bigger, more athletic and a better tackler.

“He’s a valuable asset to any defense. He’s so disruptive both in the run and pass,” Bengals center Trey Hopkins told The Enquirer. "Quite frankly, he scares the bejesus out of me.  Billy, you up?"

Clark registered 35 sacks and 136 tackles during his four-year stint in Seattle. Clowney’s amassed 29 sacks and 205 tackles in his five-year career. The two have both played in 62 regular-season games.

The Bengals have analyzed how Seattle used Clark is the past to help game plan against a remodeled Seahawks defensive line featuring Clowney.

“Every snap I’ve ever seen of Seattle has (featured) an elite pass rusher. Whether it was Michael Bennett, Frank Clark or Jadeveon Clowney. We spent a lot of time watching tape from last season as well, and Frank Clark is all over that tape. I know he’s not there anymore. You’re seeing these pass rushers and disruptive guys in the run game,” Bengals coach Zac Taylor said. “They just substituted one for another great player. Jadeveon is a great player.”

Clowney didn’t live up to the 2014 NFL Draft hype in his first two seasons. His last three years he’s started to tap into his potential and show why he was one of the most coveted defensive end prospects coming out of college in recent memory.

The 6-foot-5, 255 pound defensive end’s been invited to the Pro Bowl in each of the past three seasons.

“Jadeveon is as fine of a pass rusher as there is in the league. He plays the run really well, too,” Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said. “He’s somebody you have to be aware of.”

The Bengals are even more mindful of the fact the starting left tackle Cordy Glenn hasn’t practiced since being concussed in the team’s second preseason game. Andre Smith will substitute in for Glenn if he isn’t cleared to play. .  Clowney would present a matchup problem for Glenn and he definitely is going to be troublesome for Smith. Next up are Jerry John and O'Fey Duga who was replaced on IR by Tyler Eifert as a preemptive measure. Duga's jersey is available at the Pro Shop with free shipping for the next two hours.   No matter who the Bengals start at left guard, the team plans to double team, clip, hold, face mark, knee in the groin and give Clowney some extra attention. Cincinnati isn’t planning to leave their tackles out on an island against Clowney or any other standout or even half assed pass rusher this season.  They're really not.

The Seahawks ranked 16th in total defense a season ago and 12th in the league in sacks. Seattle’s defense isn’t as stout as the “Legion of Boom” days, although there are still playmakers at linebacker, and of course, defensive end.

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENT

While Bar Rescue does indeed tempt, only my delayed driveway repair project will keep me from the glorious confines of the Pub in Gahanna. Not that I am excited about being in a cramped pub filled with boozy sots (exception being Shebengal and Sox of course), watching a game on small TV's the Bengals are certain to lose...but doggone it, it's just the right thing to do. :lol:   

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

While Bar Rescue does indeed tempt, only my delayed driveway repair project will keep me from the glorious confines of the Pub in Gahanna. Not that I am excited about being in a cramped pub filled with boozy sots (exception being Shebengal and Sox of course), watching a game on small TV's the Bengals are certain to lose...but doggone it, it's just the right thing to do. :lol:   

Being somewhere with more booze and fried food than you might normally keep on hand is just good planning.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Being somewhere with more booze and fried food than you might normally keep on hand is just good planning.

I may have mentioned this in another thread: the pizza at this joint is really quite good (and I'm not much of a pizza person). And, there is a decent selection of some local craft beers...besides the Buud Liite. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I may have mentioned this in another thread: the pizza at this joint is really quite good (and I'm not much of a pizza person). And, there is a decent selection of some local craft beers...besides the Buud Liite. 

Wish I had a spot like that near me with the game on tbh.   

17 hours ago, SF2 said:

You dont get salmonella from fried food!

Last year they didn't even have fried food. But the pizza is good and the subs are quite good, too. 

Hubby dearest offered to get the game up on the computer for me to watch and I politely declined. I told him I was going to The Pub. 

It's the Misery Loves Company tour. 

Andre was an All-American as a LT at Alabama. Not like he has never played the position. He's held up fairly well when called on to play it at this level too. 

Now the end of the world as we know it, will happen if they have to go with Plan B and slide Hopkins or Jerry out there. 😱  

Not sure Glenn is ever coming back. 

Trust the process. :YouDontSay-min:

Been reading CincyJungle and some other sites. Not surprising, the bloggers and comments are running 95% loss this Sunday. What also doesn't surprise me, is that virtually the same percentage are packing their collective CYA's with "rookie HC and staff" qualifiers. If they win games, then all of the squawkers will wear themselves out patting their backs. If they bomb, the squawks have the pre-packaged excuse. 

12 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Trust the process. :YouDontSay-min:

Been reading CincyJungle and some other sites. Not surprising, the bloggers and comments are running 95% loss this Sunday. What also doesn't surprise me, is that virtually the same percentage are packing their collective CYA's with "rookie HC and staff" qualifiers. If they win games, then all of the squawkers will wear themselves out patting their backs. If they bomb, the squawks have the pre-packaged excuse. 

In my opinion it is simply a mismatch of talent at critical areas. Their d line against our oline is a very bad matchup.  We couldn’t run at all during the pre season. It reminds me of when Dillion was the RB, he would rush for 60 yards against teams like this then go for 175 against lesser defenses. Mixon has to have some space to operate, I don’t think he will see much. 

18 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Not sure Glenn is ever coming back. 

Thinking the same thing

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Cordy Glenn was never going to be the answer at LT.

Agree and I think he was just a place holder until we could get someone better

Got someone better and he didn't make it out of pre season.  Question if he will ever be back or near his po-ten-tial.

I don't think O'Fey Duga is the answer.

Archived