Gio Extended

Interesting move, and I don’t love it. Assuming we extend Mixon, we’ll have way too much money tied up in positions that teams who win Super Bowls don’t normally spend that type of money on: wide receiver and running back. I like Gio, but don’t know that I understand this move yet.

3 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Interesting move, and I don’t love it. Assuming we extend Mixon, we’ll have way too much money tied up in positions that teams who win Super Bowls don’t normally spend that type of money on: wide receiver and running back. I like Gio, but don’t know that I understand this move yet.

Agreed. Have two good RB's but few OL of value makes little sense. 

I like it.. He is a really good player and very valuable to this team.

They have been trying to draft his replacement for the last few years and they keep getting hurt, getting into trouble or just aren't good enough.

The cap keeps going up and up, this is not a significant amount of money.

1 minute ago, fluhartz said:

I like it.. He is a really good player and very valuable to this team.

They have been trying to draft his replacement for the last few years and they keep getting hurt, getting into trouble or just aren't good enough.

The cap keeps going up and up, this is not a significant amount of money.

Good point

42 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

If Mixon is making Elliott like money than Bernard/Anderson/Williams/Perrine make it easier to move forward without him. 

Gio hasnt been used right since he's been in the league..can't hold that against Gio.

And it's not some huge contract he's getting. Nothing like what Mixon will eventually get that's for sure.

AJ Green is the one that should NOT be re-signed. Get that contract off the books and suddenly it doesn't all look so bad from a salary cap standpoint. 

28 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Gio hasnt been used right since he's been in the league..can't hold that against Gio.

And it's not some huge contract he's getting. Nothing like what Mixon will eventually get that's for sure.

AJ Green is the one that should NOT be re-signed. Get that contract off the books and suddenly it doesn't all look so bad from a salary cap standpoint. 

From a backup running back stance it is a GIGANTIC contract.  In fact, it makes he the 10th highest paid running back on an annual basis.  $5.5 mil a year isn't a small contract.  I don't know what is guaranteed but this seems odd.  I hope it is an indication The Zac plans to give him more than 91 total touches for 429 yards like last year. Everyone of his metrics has dropped the last few years to include yards per carry, yards per reception and per touch. 

Keep in mind that even with the weak o line last year, Mixon did very well, Bernard struggled.  

He's not a "backup RB" though, they're going to use the shit out of him. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Gio ends up leading the team in receptions when it's all said and done actually. 

Back up makes it sound like he's in a limited role and that's clearly not the direction they're headed. 

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

He's not a "backup RB" though, they're going to use the shit out of him. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Gio ends up leading the team in receptions when it's all said and done actually. 

Back up makes it sound like he's in a limited role and that's clearly not the direction they're headed. 

Well, until I actually see it happen it is only speculation.   Furthermore, the Rams didn’t utilize their #2 RB much at all because it telegraphed a pass play to the defense.  That is exactly what putting Gio in did last year.

Between Brown and Anderson they caught 9 passes combined, Gurley caught 59. 

Sorry but I see no reason to give Bernard way more attempts. Mixon was 9th in the league with 237 attempts but led the AFC in rushing. He is simply a better player at this point. He can break tackles and make something out of nothing.  

I like Gio but he isn’t as good.  He certainly is a good #2 RB and if the Bengals want to give him $5 m a year, so be it but Mixon is the bell cow. 

Archived