The Beautiful, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Seahawks Edition

One of the things I'd put in the beautiful section is going for points at the end of a half.  We all know ole Marv would have had Andy play it safe and take a knee with the ball with 16 seconds left in the first half on our own 45.  That was so good to see for once.

I am still kinda giddy. From my perspective:

Beautiful:

1. Confirms this doesn't have to be a lost season and that this isn't a rebuild.
2. On the defense, they held the Seahawks to 72 yards running - a team that averaged 160 per game last year. So...I guess that going with only a few linebackers was NOT a problem.
3. On that note, both P. Brown and Vigil made plays at LB that were few and far between last year. The play with Brown forcing the fumble was extreme quality. If Dre doesn't trip, they score there on the defense.
4. The d-line is gonna cause problems for a LOT of teams. It looks like Hubbard is making a leap, and the combos they can run at teams are gonna be a problem. Dunlap was huge, Billings was really good, and the consistent pressure from the d-line all game was noteworthy.
5. Seattle had like, what, 6 three and outs? Felt like we didn't force that many all of last year.

EXTRA BEAUTIFUL:  Taylor going for it with 52 seconds and one timeout before the half. Chances Marvin does that on the road? ZERO.

Good:

6. For all the worrying about the o-line, no false starts in perhaps the nastiest and loudest road atmosphere in the league. Andy got hit some, but also had enough time to do things. Get Glenn back and build from here.
7. Sounds like Seattle was doing schematically things to make it hard to run. At least we didn't force it. I assume that they will have a bit more room in future games.
8. John Ross was a revelation. This team's trajectory is a LOT different if this staff has finally unlocked him and he can stay healthy.
9. TE screens!!! Uzomah is a load too. Yes please.
10. They had some plays that were there that got blown up by good Seattle plays. Clowney knocked down what looked like would have been an enormous screen to Mixon in the first.

Bad:  Bullock frustrates me. He has to make that field goal in the 3rd quarter. The one thing that Taylor is really gonna miss is Zuerlein.  Zuerlein hit from 56 and 49 yesterday. Need to cash points and that includes field goals.

Ugly:

What the fuck ever on that "fumble". I know they were not gonna win, but, c'mon.

They need to go ahead and get the W next week. Somehow the 49ers are favored by 2. Whatever. We're gonna win that one. I remain bullish on this team. Get AJ back at some point and man do I want to see where this can go. This team is better than Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Right. Now.

As far as the loss, you really cant place it on any one person or group. The O missed opportunities late that could have changed it, but also Jessie Bates blown coverage on their long TD that put them ahead was an issue. Bullock's missed FG as well.

Some things to tighten up, but I really thought this game was not going to be as competitive as it was.

Moral Victories dont get you wins though so they need to get things fixed.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

I really don't want to see Randy get the blame for the loss.

He is what he is and we all know it.

I would lay the loss more on Kirkpatrick.

I honestly think the Seagulps saw that he is

an egotistical hot head and can be provoked into

doing something moronically stupid very easily.

And they did.

Um, you're forgetting Erickson's genius move to cutback for more yards after a penalty and cough it up.

12 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

In the good or maybe even beautiful, I'd put the coaching staff.  They obviously had a great game plan on both sides of the  ball, they had the players really ready to play, no dumbazz decisions, no blank stares, no disconnects.

Absolutely...I was totally impressed by what all the coaches did yesterday, from OL coach Jim Turner to D-coordinator Lou Anarumo, the players looked COACHED! I fully expected Seattle to blow Cincinnati off the field yesterday, but was extremely pleased to see the effort and execution of our NEW Cincinnati Bengals. I know it was a loss, and it was just 1 game, but I haven't felt this optimistic about the Bengals future in many years. I think Zac Taylor's got what it takes.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

As far as the loss, you really cant place it on any one person or group. The O missed opportunities late that could have changed it, but also Jessie Bates blown coverage on their long TD that put them ahead was an issue. Bullock's missed FG as well.

Some things to tighten up, but I really thought this game was not going to be as competitive as it was.

Moral Victories dont get you wins though so they need to get things fixed.

I doubt or like to think that players and coaches don't care about moral victories, but it's great for the fanbase which can  only hope for better days which I think has been stoked. As long as they start transforming to real wins.  The fan base won't accept many more moral victories.

3 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I doubt or like to think that players and coaches don't care about moral victories, but it's great for the fanbase which can  only hope for better days which I think has been stoked. As long as they start transforming to real wins.  The fan base won't accept many more moral victories.

It's nice to see we arent looking at a complete rebuild. The D being as bad as it was last year and then going out and playing that game was encouraging.

Even so it's one game and not enough to have any sort of thoughts about where we are or are not as a franchise. Hope to see more of these kinds of games with a better outcome next time.

9 hours ago, B.A.B. said:

I’m not sure how Simmons is still a coach here. Get some fucking new blood in. Our special teams is fucking stupid

He doesn't have a whole lot to work with. No LB's to spare & the back end of our roster is pretty much whoever.  He's consistently had good units when there's any depth to pull from. 

Redeemer himself on 700 WLW with Lapham right now.

• Zac Taylor "on target"
  • want him to have "opportunity to do things his way" & players are responding
  • compared his efficient approach to his father's coaching
  • Gio Bernard consistently 100% effort & reliability
  • "you win in this league with big plays" (found this iffy, isn't any scoring play a "big play"?  
  • says people watching the games with him sometimes tell him to calm down (that'd be something to see)

20 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Redeemer himself on 700 WLW with Lapham right now.

• Zac Taylor "on target"
  • want him to have "opportunity to do things his way" & players are responding
  • compared his efficient approach to his father's coaching
  • Gio Bernard consistently 100% effort & reliability
  • "you win in this league with big plays" (found this iffy, isn't any scoring play a "big play"?  
  • says people watching the games with him sometimes tell him to calm down (that'd be something to see)

Was he sad he missed out on the opportunity to redeem Antonio Brown?

It's not such a new Dey when the Bengals lost another very winnable game.  We out gained the Seahawks 2 to 1, but turnovers and the missed FG cost us big time.  Considering the circumstances, I get why there's some excitement.  Dalton and Ross had career days and the patchwork OL was better than anyone predicted.  The defense also dominated for much of the day.  I thought the scheming/game planning was noticeably better on both sides.  And it was good to see them do it against a tough opponent on the road.  It shows that there is potential with this staff and roster, but let's not kid ourselves.  KC and NE seem to be a cut above the rest of the AFC.

Zac Taylor's comments to Lap:

•  Took responsibility for the early time-outs & delay penalty, says Andy couldn't hear him
  • "We left at least 15 points on the field"
  • re: 1 minute offense, "if you give us a chance to score we're going to take it"
  • Ross "going to be a big part of the offense" & "Everyone has room for improvement"
  • complimented Andy's "consistent demeanor" & some of his throws under pressure were as good as he's seen
  • Mixon day-to-day, could've been much worse.  Glenn also day-to-day but sounded more dismissive & talked about Andre.
  • Seattle was in a defensive alignment he had never seen them play in years of tape/experience, frustrated it made the play-calling so limited

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Zac Taylor's comments to Lap:

•  Took responsibility for the early time-outs & delay penalty, says Andy couldn't hear him
  • "We left at least 15 points on the field"
  • re: 1 minute offense, "if you give us a chance to score we're going to take it"
  • Ross "going to be a big part of the offense" & "Everyone has room for improvement"
  • complimented Andy's "consistent demeanor" & some of his throws under pressure were as good as he's seen
  • Mixon day-to-day, could've been much worse.  Glenn also day-to-day but sounded more dismissive & talked about Andre.
  • Seattle was in a defensive alignment he had never seen them play in years of tape/experience, frustrated it made the play-calling so limited

This Glenn situation is troubling, I wonder if he doesn't want to play. 

5 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Hard to say but that concussion stuff is no joke.  He could be having dizzy spells or who knows what...  Scary shit, wouldn't blame him at all for having second thoughts about playing.

Just seeing our head coach look like he’s emotionally invested in the game and thinking about what to do next is something I haven’t seen in quite some time. Still can’t believe we lost after watching even though I expected us to get blown out and not in a good way. 

12 hours ago, Hooky said:

I'm not into moral victories either, but that's not what this is.  This is not getting embarrassed, which seemed to happen regularly in the Lewis era.  This is not losing because your coach refuses to play the best players or didn't prepare the team, or screwed up challenges and clock management.  The players actually can do this....maybe.  At least the guy on the sideline wont be the reason they lose.

14 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Does make one wonder, doesn't it?

Ain't gonna happen but I would trade Ericson to New Oakland for a serviceable OT if they have one.

After the dumbass fumble Sunday I am having doubts if he could be expendable and the same or better on the roster already.

Just now, LostInDaJungle said:

Can't fake concussion protocol.

Nope, and the fact he has been in it this long is a bad sign.  Had a lax player who sustained a concussion wrestling.  It took almost 2 months until he was cleared to practice lax.   He took one minor hit in practice and was out for the season.  

Archived