Dalton needs to go

7 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

100%. The look on his face every time he drags himself up off the turf is depressing. Dalton is who he is but no QB could perform behind this line.

I'll be a bit suprised if this isn't his last year.  Then the fans can convince themselves it was Dalton instead of Marvin's fault.  Somewhere in the vaults of PBS, The Redeemer sets aside his tapioca pudding cup and laughs...

59 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'll be a bit suprised if this isn't his last year.  Then the fans can convince themselves it was Dalton instead of Marvin's fault.  Somewhere in the vaults of PBS, The Redeemer sets aside his tapioca pudding cup and laughs...

Empty the stadium.  The Redeemer doesn't laugh at that. 

I really don't understand why anyone buys tickets from Brown.  Even if you bought them it's a sunk cost.  Stay home.

24 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I really don't understand why anyone buys tickets from Brown.  Even if you bought them it's a sunk cost.  Stay home.

I don't know what the paid attendance (not announced) was Sunday, but that stadium crowd was pathetic.

Do they ever come close to a sell out if Browns or pitt fans don't buy up the seats?

59 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

The stadium only needs to cover the overhead of putting on the games, his income is NFL payouts from TV deals & their other matching funds.  Jerry jones takes credit for changing the NFL to run more like a business franchise & that includes keeping that one poor earner shoestring outlet in Timbuktu open just so you can threaten to send people there.  Sure Timbuktu might hire a new GM and turn things around but who gives a shit, Timbuktu is funny.  They'll keep you in mind in case they get into trouble.  Check's in the mail & close the door on your way out.

(Slightly NSFW Link ahead y'all I don't think the Lich King is wearing pants:)

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--A4qWwJx9--/c_fit,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/nwuk2p2thw97sk7mpd7p.jpg

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

The stadium only needs to cover the overhead of putting on the games, his income is NFL payouts from TV deals & their other matching funds.  Jerry jones takes credit for changing the NFL to run more like a business franchise & that includes keeping that one poor earner shoestring outlet in Timbuktu open just so you can threaten to send people there.  Sure Timbuktu might hire a new GM and turn things around but who gives a shit, Timbuktu is funny.  They'll keep you in mind in case they get into trouble.  Check's in the mail & close the door on your way out.

(Slightly NSFW Link ahead y'all I don't think the Lich King is wearing pants:)

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--A4qWwJx9--/c_fit,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/nwuk2p2thw97sk7mpd7p.jpg

Be that as it may, Mike Brown has always responded to poor attendance in some way.  Even though he will make money no matter what, those are profits going down the drain when the stadium is empty.

16 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Be that as it may, Mike Brown has always responded to poor attendance in some way.  Even though he will make money no matter what, those are profits going down the drain when the stadium is empty.

Realistically though what's "empty" going to mean?  They've got die-hard season ticket holders made up of brokers, local businesses, and yeah fans too but a lot of those have had tickets through the 90's or see it as an investment.  Then there are walk-up sales, visiting fans & random block tickets for  Brotherhood of Gnomes Local 425 or whoever.   

Point being they're going to sell a large number of tickets regardless & I don't think the difference between 20k or 30k matters that much to their bottom line.  

55 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Realistically though what's "empty" going to mean?  They've got die-hard season ticket holders made up of brokers, local businesses, and yeah fans too but a lot of those have had tickets through the 90's or see it as an investment.  Then there are walk-up sales, visiting fans & random block tickets for  Brotherhood of Gnomes Local 425 or whoever.   

Point being they're going to sell a large number of tickets regardless & I don't think the difference between 20k or 30k matters that much to their bottom line.  

They sold 48k average for the first 2 games.   I really have no idea how many season tickets are out there but that is only 73% of capacity which is dead last in the league by a huge margin.  TBay is second worst at 84%.  The league mid point is 97% sold.  The majority of teams have most of their tickets already sold, the Bengals are not even close.   Yeah, sold does not equal attended but sold equals money in Browns pocket.

Small market 0-5 team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 3 years.  

14 hours ago, SF2 said:

They sold 48k average for the first 2 games.   I really have no idea how many season tickets are out there but that is only 73% of capacity which is dead last in the league by a huge margin. 

I think they're fine with that.   Another 20k fans would barely cover a good FA contract but there's no guarantee signging one would pay off in ticket sales anyway.   This team has struggled to sell out the stadium for playoff games.  On the other hand, not spending it equals guaranteed money in the bank.  That's an easy choice.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I think they're fine with that.   Another 20k fans would barely cover a good FA contract but there's no guarantee signging one would pay off in ticket sales anyway.   This team has struggled to sell out the stadium for playoff games.  On the other hand, not spending it equals guaranteed money in the bank.  That's an easy choice.

Another 17,000 fans equates to about  $10,000,000 in ticket sales alone. Not including any concessions, parking passes, swag and beer.   Also, local advertising is less valuable in an empty stadium and advertising for regionally broadcasted games suffers as well.    In the overall scheme its not a huge amount for an NFL team but for someone like the Brown family it would probably add 25% to their bottom line every year. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Another 17,000 fans equates to about  $10,000,000 in ticket sales alone. Not including any concessions, parking passes, swag and beer.   Also, local advertising is less valuable in an empty stadium and advertising for regionally broadcasted games suffers as well.    In the overall scheme its not a huge amount for an NFL team but for someone like the Brown family it would probably add 25% to their bottom line every year. 

This is what gets Brown's attention.  Pretty sure he wants that cash.  Stay home.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Sure, in theory, if investing more in the team was guaranteed to improve ticket sales. It's not.  If they can't sell out playoff games where's the incentive? They've got a nice guaranteed income from the NFL, why risk any of that?

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Sure, in theory, if investing more in the team was guaranteed to improve ticket sales. It's not.  If they can't sell out playoff games where's the incentive? They've got a nice guaranteed income from the NFL, why risk any of that?

Actually, playoff ticket sales are shared among all the teams if I am not mistaken. 

Brown is spending money on players and coaches.  Sagging attendance is what has historically gotten him to make changes.  The money matters to him.

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Thanks Mr. Brown.  What investing in the team does is increase the franchise value itself. If the investment is then offset by increased local/stadium revenue it is a win-win. You can make the same annual income but the franchise value goes much higher. 

Mikey sees everything in a short time window as a risk of decreasing his annual income, instead of seeing it as increasing the brand and team value. Just lazy. Players salaries are $188M now and yet he won't pay for more scouts to better analyze and get more value from the $188M spend? It is your biggest expense but you allocate no resources to maximize the value of the largest expense? This is the worst business decision a pro sports team can make. That is incompetent. So, lazy, incompetent and we all know stubborn. Just die already.

5 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

If the investment is then offset by increased local/stadium revenue it is a win-win.

Yeah, if..  But it's not.  Again, this franchise can't sell out playoff games.  I think the Browns are perfectly happy with their 8-8 baseline for success & their guaranteed income.  What evidence have you seen that they aren't?

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Every team pays about the same for players. In 2014 the team was at 97% capacity so it was probably another $15 mil to the bottom line easy. It doesn’t take nearly that much money to hire a competent GM and fire Tobin. 

As far as playoff tickets are concerned, it is an issue with other teams as well. Short notice, shitty weather, right after X-mas plays a part. Small market hurts too  

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah, if..  But it's not.  Again, this franchise can't sell out playoff games.  I think the Browns are perfectly happy with their 8-8 baseline for success & their guaranteed income.  What evidence have you seen that they aren't?

I have seen zero evidence because there is none, but i never said I had any. I agree 100% that Mikey is happy to just be average and make $20-$30M per year. It just proves that he actually does not care about winning and that he is content to milk of the work of the other owners that do invest in the league and the total revenues. He is a leach. if I was one of the other owners, I would be working some way to get rid of this clown. Write some new rules on revenue sharing that penalize teams that fail consistently. You only need 2/3 of the owners to change the rules. It literally gets his 'guaranteed money' from the risk and work done by others. In any other industry this would be criminal. 

Archived