Dalton needs to go

20 hours ago, stryker57 said:

probably because once it finally happens  he  is so shocked  it throws his timing off. or it means they dropped 9 or 10 in coverage because i 

dont believe this ol can give a clean pocket if more then 2 rush. and thats double teaming them.

seriously just when does he have this so called "clean pocket " you speak off. 

I generally agree.

But, Dalton is making mental errors that aren’t forced, too. At least two of three interceptions in five minutes against the Jags happened with an acceptable pocket around him, if memory serves.

That said, do we know Dalton isn’t permitted to audible? Or, is he choosing not to out if complacency?

21 hours ago, stryker57 said:

probably because once it finally happens  he  is so shocked  it throws his timing off. or it means they dropped 9 or 10 in coverage because i 

dont believe this ol can give a clean pocket if more then 2 rush. and thats double teaming them.

seriously just when does he have this so called "clean pocket " you speak off. 

It's because he doesn't trust the line anymore, and the scheme sucks.

46 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Or it's because he's a mediocre talent at best. Dalton has had plenty of talent around him in the past and still wasn't able to get it done. 

You should watch some of the games earlier in his career. He had great poise in the pocket. Now he panics because he doesn't want to get killed. Can't blame him. He helped take us to 5 straight playoff games. Yeah we lost, but it's not all on him. I remember the defense shitting the bed in a couple of them.

15 hours ago, OneHeartBeat said:

You should watch some of the games earlier in his career. He had great poise in the pocket. Now he panics because he doesn't want to get killed. Can't blame him. He helped take us to 5 straight playoff games. Yeah we lost, but it's not all on him. I remember the defense shitting the bed in a couple of them.

I watched them all and he's been pretty much the same guy. If the conditions are perfect he will look good, but you can say that for the majority of the QB's in the NFL. 

I've rarely seen Dalton elevate the play of his teammates, he often plays down to the level of competition.  If you get the unbiased opinions of non Bengals fans, NFL analysts, and experts most will tell you Dalton is very replaceable. 

I could care less what Dalton did in 2015, that isn't helping the Bengals win games now or in the future. The closest the Bengals have come to winning a playoff game came when Dalton was on the bench.

Dalton puts a cap on what the team can achieve. Some days that cap is pretty low. He's not the biggest problem on the team, but he should be replaced. Dalton is under contract for next year but should only return if we use our top pick on a QB. Otherwise we should trade him in for a veteran like Bridgewater or Keenum. They may not be any better but the team has no credibility if we keep Dalton as our starter. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Dalton puts a cap on what the team can achieve. Some days that cap is pretty low. He's not the biggest problem on the team, but he should be replaced. Dalton is under contract for next year but should only return if we use our top pick on a QB. Otherwise we should trade him in for a veteran like Bridgewater or Keenum. They may not be any better but the team has no credibility if we keep Dalton as our starter. 

Nah man, I want a shiny new toy, not some used thing you picked up at Salvation Army.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

So, a year from now, they can "move on" from the next whatever QB they have. 

And the year after that, and the year after that...

This.

Any new QB is going to look shite playing behind this line, with bad protection and no run game. O-line and QB are priorities 1a and 1b for me. I'm afraid whomever we draft will end up with the Tim Couch or David Carr effect, their development stunted permanently by the trauma of it all. Don't want to end up in an endless loop like one of those teams that drafts their new franchise QB every few years but never seem to find a good one, partly because they keep spending picks on QBs instead of a quality line.

I personally wouldn't mind if we draft QB this year, let him learn for a year while Dalton takes the abuse, and we have another year and another draft to un-fuck the OL. I know Dalton will just kill our otherwise great chances of getting that super bowl ring next year, but I think it's worth it.

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The point is that we should move on from Dalton whether it's via the draft or free agency.

Taylor and Callahan will push hard for Mariota, IMO. They'll think they can fix his flaws with a system that's better suited for him....quack quack.

48 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Taylor and Callahan will push hard for Mariota, IMO. They'll think they can fix his flaws with a system that's better suited for him....quack quack.

Dude lost his job to Ryan Tannahill..., and that guy sucks!

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

Dude lost his job to Ryan Tannahill..., and that guy sucks!

I definitely don’t disagree.

Callahan just knows Mariota very well coming from that Chip Kelly system. I really believe that they’ll think they can fix him with a change of scenery and a familiar offense. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I definitely don’t disagree.

Callahan just knows Mariota very well coming from that Chip Kelly system. I really believe that they’ll think they can fix him with a change of scenery and a familiar offense. 

I dunno.  I wonder just how much Mariota will cost?  He is certainly getting a bad rap in Tenn but he is on his 4th offensive coordinator in 5 years and his WRs are really pretty bad.  Adam Humphries is your top receiver last year??  I don't think he even started half the time.  Mariota's stats are really not bad considering he has played for a shitty team but you gotta wonder what those 5 years have done to him.   Truth be told, Tannehill was in the same boat in Miami.   

Again, Mariota might cost more than you think to bring here but what the hell, my wife would be happy because he is cute. 

36 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Yeah, hard pass on Mariota. He's arguably worse than Dalton. I would rather take my chances with a rookie than Mariota, he's pretty much damaged goods at this point.

But if you can trade Dalton and get a draft pick in return, and sign a cut Mariota, it might give us a shot at another high pick next year ad we can take Chase Young this year.

22 hours ago, Go Tory Go! said:

This.

Any new QB is going to look shite playing behind this line, with bad protection and no run game. O-line and QB are priorities 1a and 1b for me. I'm afraid whomever we draft will end up with the Tim Couch or David Carr effect, their development stunted permanently by the trauma of it all. Don't want to end up in an endless loop like one of those teams that drafts their new franchise QB every few years but never seem to find a good one, partly because they keep spending picks on QBs instead of a quality line.

I personally wouldn't mind if we draft QB this year, let him learn for a year while Dalton takes the abuse, and we have another year and another draft to un-fuck the OL. I know Dalton will just kill our otherwise great chances of getting that super bowl ring next year, but I think it's worth it.

If we hire a good O-line coach, things will look considerably different next year. We should cut Hart and Glenn. Williams will take one of the OT jobs and we should sign a vet or trade for one or use our 2nd round pick on one. Upgrade the coach and get Jonah out there and things will look different. 

22 minutes ago, Go Tory Go! said:

Who are these people out there who will trade anything of value for Andy Dalton? People keep saying this and I don't get it. Hue Jackson no longer has a team.

Dalton doesn't have much value outside of PBS. He's the QB of an 0-7 team in his 9th year, which means he doesn't have much upside. 

I can't see any team offering anything for Dalton unless their starter is injured and they have nothing behind them.

Looking around the league where you put him, who would he start over. I can't think of a single team that would want Dalton over their current starter.

You know, I get the "moving on" stuff. It's happened to SB winners. Thing degenerate all over, and the first person to be evaluated is the guy under center. Load up, try again. Since this disaster of a franchise is not competing any time soon, it does seem logical that they try new people all around. 

But I totally lol@ this reducing the present starter to the less-than-rubbish level so popularly used. I'll let SF assemble all of the stats to say otherwise, but is a QB who is not only the #2 all-time leading passer in the franchise history AND the 25th all-time NFL career passing rating leader to be just another Jay Schroeder or Bobby Hebert? 

Again, not saying don't "move on"; but lose the pissing on hate. You'll get your tar-and-feather-ride-out-of-town-on-a-rail soon enough. 

20 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

You know, I get the "moving on" stuff. It's happened to SB winners. Thing degenerate all over, and the first person to be evaluated is the guy under center. Load up, try again. Since this disaster of a franchise is not competing any time soon, it does seem logical that they try new people all around. 

But I totally lol@ this reducing the present starter to the less-than-rubbish level so popularly used. I'll let SF assemble all of the stats to say otherwise, but is a QB who is not only the #2 all-time leading passer in the franchise history AND the 25th all-time NFL career passing rating leader to be just another Jay Schroeder or Bobby Hebert? 

Again, not saying don't "move on"; but lose the pissing on hate. You'll get your tar-and-feather-ride-out-of-town-on-a-rail soon enough. 

I don’t think Dalton sucks at all. I just think we will have a shot at a guy as good or better than him on a rookie deal. It makes more sense than paying big money on a guy with a limited ceiling. 

Also, I think Dalton has played poorly so many times in big games that it has become a psychological issue for him. 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

I don’t think Dalton sucks at all. I just think we will have a shot at a guy as good or better than him on a rookie deal. It makes more sense than paying big money on a guy with a limited ceiling. 

Also, I think Dalton has played poorly so many times in big games that it has become a psychological issue for him. 

I tend to agree, but to your first point...  What are we saving that money for, though?  Mike Brown's great-great-grandchildren? Who cares.  If they were serious about investing in this team we probably wouldn't need to replace Dalton in the first place.

Archived