Dalton needs to go

46 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I tend to agree, but to your first point...  What are we saving that money for, though?  Mike Brown's great-great-grandchildren? Who cares.  If they were serious about investing in this team we probably wouldn't need to replace Dalton in the first place.

The team MUST spend up to 95% of the cap or they have to give money to the league to share among all the players. This fact makes the lack of talent all the more absurd. 

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

The team MUST spend up to 95% of the cap or they have to give money to the league to share among all the players. This fact makes the lack of talent all the more absurd. 

Bobby Hart, Dre Kirkpatrick, Cordy Glenn.. Those guys make more sense in this context.  There's no real plan, they're just spending money because they have to...

On 10/27/2019 at 8:07 AM, T-Dub said:

Bobby Hart, Dre Kirkpatrick, Cordy Glenn.. Those guys make more sense in this context.  There's no real plan, they're just spending money because they have to...

Correct.  It is why the likely scenario is they overpay to keep Green and re sign Dalton to a decent contract.  A rookie QB would force the Bengals to find other players in FA to sign to larger contracts and that is hard to do in Cincy.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Correct.  It is why the likely scenario is they overpay to keep Green and re sign Dalton to a decent contract.  A rookie QB would force the Bengals to find other players in FA to sign to larger contracts and that is hard to do in Cincy.

Wow, I never even considered the lazy option , use up the minimum cap space with Green and Dalton and make minimal other changes claiming they don’t have the cap space.  

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Wow, I never even considered the lazy option , use up the minimum cap space with Green and Dalton and make minimal other changes claiming they don’t have the cap space.  

You didn't really think Dre Kirkpatrick deserves to be paid like the 13th best corner in the league did you?   Or Bobby Hart paid like the 15th best right tackle?  This is simply spending up to the minimum so the Browns don't have to give money away and risk being sanctioned by the other owners.  

22 minutes ago, SF2 said:

You didn't really think Dre Kirkpatrick deserves to be paid like the 13th best corner in the league did you?   Or Bobby Hart paid like the 15th best right tackle?  This is simply spending up to the minimum so the Browns don't have to give money away and risk being sanctioned by the other owners.  

And to the point about roster control & building through the draft, they give their money to familiar bums because they have no real confidence in their ability to identify talent.  Businesses tend towards failure when they don't fundamentally trust at least most of their employees.  The less input your people have the less invested they feel.  At the same time, you have to give them enough room to eliminate themselves when they aren't worthy of that trust.  We keep guys around for decades and when they're finally cut loose, always with the caveat of how "respected" they are by their peers, they wash out of the NFL in weeks.  

While I'm not sold on our current coaches, at least we cleaned house of all the dead weight.  I hope they don't let the new bunch get too comfortable.  

To bring it back on topic, I think that applies to the roster as well but see no reason to waste another QB on this offense.  AD's already shellshocked, we may as well ride things out for as long as he can stay on the field.  

16 hours ago, T-Dub said:

And to the point about roster control & building through the draft, they give their money to familiar bums because they have no real confidence in their ability to identify talent.  Businesses tend towards failure when they don't fundamentally trust at least most of their employees.  The less input your people have the less invested they feel.  At the same time, you have to give them enough room to eliminate themselves when they aren't worthy of that trust.  We keep guys around for decades and when they're finally cut loose, always with the caveat of how "respected" they are by their peers, they wash out of the NFL in weeks.  

While I'm not sold on our current coaches, at least we cleaned house of all the dead weight.  I hope they don't let the new bunch get too comfortable.  

To bring it back on topic, I think that applies to the roster as well but see no reason to waste another QB on this offense.  AD's already shellshocked, we may as well ride things out for as long as he can stay on the field.  

They already are, Callahan was talking about building for 2-3 years in the future, so he clearly believes he will be here regardless of performance for at least a few more years.

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

They already are, Callahan was talking about building for 2-3 years in the future, so he clearly believes he will be here regardless of performance for at least a few more years.

The defensive coordinator should have been fired yesterday. 

36 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The defensive coordinator should have been fired yesterday. 

At this point firing him is pointless, it's the mid point of the season and they're awful. He was the best option they could get because no one else wanted the job this off season. 

Taylor doesn't have an extensive network of proven coaches that he can pull to work with him, Lou was his guy...just like Turner.

This year is basically a training session for the coaches at the expense of the players and fans. They can try different things, get tape on the teams, and come back next year with better strategies... hopefully.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

At this point firing him is pointless, it's the mid point of the season and they're awful. He was the best option they could get because no one else wanted the job this off season. 

Taylor doesn't have an extensive network of proven coaches that he can pull to work with him, Lou was his guy...just like Turner.

This year is basically a training session for the coaches at the expense of the players and fans. They can try different things, get tape on the teams, and come back next year with better strategies... hopefully.

It would make me feel better.   You know, like there is actually some kind of responsibility or expectations in the front office?  Doesn't have to be him but a lamb needs to be slaughtered. The Chargers fired Ken Whisenshut for sucking yesterday.

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Anarumo was the guy who finally accepted the job offer. Bengals were turned down by several better candidates including a college coach.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

It would make me feel better.   You know, like there is actually some kind of responsibility or expectations in the front office?  Doesn't have to be him but a lamb needs to be slaughtered. The Chargers fired Ken Whisenshut for sucking yesterday.

And...they won. 

On 10/29/2019 at 11:43 AM, Le Tigre said:

And...they won. 

Because the Bears missed a FG at the end of the game, their offense has been horrible. It was either Wisenhut now or Lynn later.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:08 AM, sparky151 said:

Anarumo was the guy who finally accepted the job offer. Bengals were turned down by several better candidates including a college coach.

Taylor has the cache of a homeless man sleeping under a bridge in a cardboard box.

No proven coaches are lining up to work for this guy, being Tommy Tuberville's OC and Sean McVay's bro doesn't carry much weight in NFL coaching circles appearently...who knew??

I don't know how the ciaching staffs will improve, but they need to.

Archived