Is it me, or is Jesse Bates III struggling with this defense?

Seems like he is struggling with this defense.

Remember he was a Teryl Austin guy.

I know it's early, but he hasn't shown much confidence back there.

Looks like he is trying to make up from miss coverages by the LBs, and playing completely out of position.

Same for Shawn Williams, whose name I haven't heard much in the first two games.

From my field view yesterday, he was indeed cheating one way or the other--depending on where the "missing LB" should have been. SF would give looks as to inside plays...Jessie would edge towards the line. They would spread out...he would shift back. Same with Williams. In both cases, Jimmy looked them down and went to where they were not (LB's that is). That left wide open spaces all across the middle of the field. Running or throwing, once they escaped the front, they ran forever.

Jessie played the best he could. It isn't him...its this dumb 2-LB package.

7 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

From my field view yesterday, he was indeed cheating one way or the other--depending on where the "missing LB" should have been. SF would give looks as to inside plays...Jessie would edge towards the line. They would spread out...he would shift back. Same with Williams. In both cases, Jimmy looked them down and went to where they were not (LB's that is). That left wide open spaces all across the middle of the field. Running or throwing, once they escaped the front, they ran forever.

Jessie played the best he could. It isn't him...its this dumb 2-LB package.

Thanks for that explanation.

That explains a lot

52 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

At least he can tackle...most of the time...which is alot more than I can say for the rest of the secondary.

That shoulder slap from Brown on the TD was inexcusable.  I'd put that replay somewhere they can watch it all week along with DreK fist-pumping after getting run over. They keep touting Brown as this savvy veteran locker room leader type & he's playing like it's a walkthrough? Taylor really has his work cut out for him convincing Redeemer to cut the loser stink out of this roster. You can't have guys thinking they can slack off because they're under contract & the team is desperate.  Don't talk all that shit about accountability and standards when we carry a kicker that's missing FG's every game & pretend DreK is an elite DB just because we pay him like one.  Every guy on the roster knows Mikey is a soft touch & soft football is what he gets.

Bates looked like he was playing hard but simply isn't very good. I can excuse that for now.

21 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That shoulder slap from Brown on the TD was inexcusable.  I'd put that replay somewhere they can watch it all week along with DreK fist-pumping after getting run over. They keep touting Brown as this savvy veteran locker room leader type & he's playing like it's a walkthrough? Taylor really has his work cut out for him convincing Redeemer to cut the loser stink out of this roster. You can't have guys thinking they can slack off because they're under contract & the team is desperate.  Don't talk all that shit about accountability and standards when we carry a kicker that's missing FG's every game & pretend DreK is an elite DB just because we pay him like one.  Every guy on the roster knows Mikey is a soft touch & soft football is what he gets.

Bates looked like he was playing hard but simply isn't very good. I can excuse that for now.

For a long time I thought Troy Blackburn's only job was to hold the video camera while Katie played negotiated player contracts.  But he seems to be more in the forefront the last couple of years.  I am beginning to wonder if any of these personnel decisions are his?

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

For a long time I thought Troy Blackburn's only job was to hold the video camera while Katie played negotiated player contracts.  But he seems to be more in the forefront the last couple of years.  I am beginning to wonder if any of these personnel decisions are his?

That's an excellent point, all I really know of him is he fucked the Whitworth deal trying to lowball him like he just binge-watched 3 seasons of Ballers so I'm inclined to think he doesn't actually  know his own ass from a teakettle.  Golly I sure do wonder where he inherited :Troll-min: that sense of entitlement?  He stepped into a culture of doing the bare minimum to get by, I see no reason to hope he or wife Pookie are going to become the great instruments of change we were hoping for. This is all just business as usual for them both because it's all they've ever known.  Even if they did want to make fundamental changes I don't think they know how, but why would they ever want to? Where's the motivation? So long as the team is profitable their only worry is bad press & they're plenty used to that, too.  Anyone involved in this organization down to us fans have learned to tune that out by now.

When you look across the street at how Castellini has approached owning a small-market sports franchise with a limited budget it's like night & day.   

Fuckin..  Go into the light, Katie Ann

image.png?w=473&c=1

Archived