Should the Bengals trade AJ Green?

Nothing less than a 1st (well maybe a 3rd with a very competent young OL good enough to step into a starting job next year, if not sooner).  Anything else and I keep him, possibly franchise him for a year &/or let him walk for a premium comp pick.  I get the feeling they Tag him rather than extend him.  

I highly doubt Green will be traded for two reasons.  His value is too low right now and he's a free agent after the season.  It's unlikely that another team will blow the Bengals away with an offer even if they're interested in dealing him.  A major injury to a star WR can change the equation somewhat, but barring that AJ stays put.  Whether he stays beyond this season is also not certain.  I'm guessing they won't use the franchise tag at this point but your guess is as good as mine.  He might have no interest in a full rebuild and try to chase a ring.

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

The value of AJ returning to form is far more valuable than a second or third round pick. 

If he were already under contract for 2 more years I would agree.  Right now he is hurt and on his final year. By the time he returns to form the season might be too far gone.   

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Amazing what music goofball hack "journalists" can get people to dance to--simply by inferring some illusionary trade poppycock. Trade away one of the few remaining marketable faces in the franchise? Simple business logic says "hail naw" ( that's a good one J). 

AJ Green will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.  His marketability is pretty low at this point since any team taking him will either have to: 1. sign him to a new big contract to keep him or 2. let him go at the end of the year.  He has only played 6 games in the last year the last being a 1 catch effort in game 12 last year until they shut him down for the season.

That said a team is not going to give up much unless they have no doubt he will return to form and they can sign him.  It is highly unlikely any team would give up much to rent him for a 8-10 games.  Until he gets back on the field and looks like the AJ Green of old, I doubt any team will give up much. 

Also, the idea that Green is a marketable face for this franchise is suspect.  He has been a great but quiet player here.  And the reality is until this franchise actually wins, marketing won't do much for it unless it includes free beer and strippers.  

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

AJ Green will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.  His marketability is pretty low at this point since any team taking him will either have to: 1. sign him to a new big contract to keep him or 2. let him go at the end of the year.  He has only played 6 games in the last year the last being a 1 catch effort in game 12 last year until they shut him down for the season.

That said a team is not going to give up much unless they have no doubt he will return to form and they can sign him.  It is highly unlikely any team would give up much to rent him for a 8-10 games.  Until he gets back on the field and looks like the AJ Green of old, I doubt any team will give up much. 

Also, the idea that Green is a marketable face for this franchise is suspect.  He has been a great but quiet player here.  And the reality is until this franchise actually wins, marketing won't do much for it unless it includes free beer and strippers.  

Spot on...except the last line could read “free beer OR strippers.”  Obviously “and” is better, but “or” would probably get the job done.

Archived