Should the Bengals trade AJ Green?

16 hours ago, Jason said:

Comes down to this.  What does he want to do?  Is he willing to stay if Dalton is no longer the QB?

If he wants to stay, he stays.  If not, trade him to a contender in the NFC for the best we can get.

He stays if the Bengals WANT HIM  and overpay him.  I say overpay because if he gets to FA, someone will offer him too much money so the Bengals will need to come close to matching.

With an entirely new regime, that may not be the case.   He has missed 18 games and counting the last 4 years.  His last full season was 2017 but he was 12th in receiving yards.  Also, the Bengals, horrible o line and all, are 9th in passing without AJ.  Is it really worth $15 mil a year to keep a guy who seems to be slowing down and has trouble staying on the field given the horrific issues at other positions? 

Truth be told, Boyd is currently 8th in receiving WITHOUT AJ to protect him and had 123 yards last game with no John Ross either.   We have some young guys at WR who are starting to break out as well.  Furthermore, if the season continues to progress the way it has, gotta think the team moves on at QB.   New guy and 24 year old Tyler Boyd would seem to be the better marriage for a number of reasons.  

55 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

Being the Bengals' Larry Fitzgerald would be like being the LA Clippers Larry Bird.  Nobody cares unless you do something memorable in the post season.   Fitzgerald's 2008 post season is the stuff of legend.  7TDs, 136.5 yards per game over 4 games, every game over 100 yards, every game with one or more TDs to include 3 TDs in the NFC Championship game and 2 in the Super Bowl.

Being the Bengals' all time receiving leader just isn't a thing that anyone outside of Cincy gives a damn about unless you start winning in the post season.  If anything he will become the Bengals Andre Johnson, the Texans' all time receiver.  At least Johnson won 2 playoff games against...., anyone?

28 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I am not sure if Zac Taylor even knows what the Bengals will or will not do.

Yep, it doesn’t really fucking matter what he thinks.  The team will be shit until at least 2021.  He isn’t Jesus of Nazareth or a Jedi. 

18 hours ago, SF2 said:

Being the Bengals' all time receiving leader just isn't a thing that anyone outside of Cincy gives a damn about unless you start winning in the post season.  If anything he will become the Bengals Andre Johnson, the Texans' all time receiver.  At least Johnson won 2 playoff games against...., anyone?

Us? With a couple of no name quarterbacks?

It's probably just my hopeful thinking but the Zac Taylor thing about not trading AJ sounded a little off to me.  In the past didn't those statements come from Duke or more recently from Troy?  It was almost like an incomplete sentence...."We are not trading that guy"....for anything less than a 1st round pick.

Again I know its not a Bengals thing to trade like that but I am still holding out hope till the trade deadline.

13 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

It's probably just my hopeful thinking but the Zac Taylor thing about not trading AJ sounded a little off to me.  In the past didn't those statements come from Duke or more recently from Troy?  It was almost like an incomplete sentence...."We are not trading that guy"....for anything less than a 1st round pick.

Again I know its not a Bengals thing to trade like that but I am still holding out hope till the trade deadline.

It's adorabe the way he said it like he thinks it's his decision..  

toddler-independence-Aug-27-thumb-300x20

47 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

With the Bengals track record of drafting in the first round why would anyone want them to trade our best player for an unknown quantity?  

The Bengals front office isn't savvy to trade off assets and rebuild through the draft. I know there is no WR in the draft that is anywhere close to being as good as AJ Green, if there is please enlighten me. 

If they were to trade AJ for a first round pick who would they draft? The same guy, Duke Tobin, who drafted hurt guys in the past few drafts is still calling the shots in the Bengals draft room.

Since 2009 Tobin has drafted 3 Pro Bowlers 8n the first round, however Green is the only guy who went more than once and is still playing in the NFL. In the last 5 years none of his first round picks have played more than 11 games, with Price playing 10 games last year before getting put on the IR. Also Price is currently a backup that lost his starting center and left guard spot to undrafted player and a 4th round pick.

The Bengals need to keep as many quality players on the roster as possible and add other quality players to them, this whole notion that the front office can blow the roster up and suddenly come back better isn't supported by any logic or evidence. 

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

The Bengals need to keep as many quality players on the roster as possible and add other quality players to them, this whole notion that the front office can blow the roster up and suddenly come back better isn't supported by any logic or evidence. 

I understand your logic but I keep being drawn back to the fact that a lot of our best players are 30ish and on the back side of their career.  What will their status be in another year or two waiting to add more talent to the roster? 

39 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I understand your logic but I keep being drawn back to the fact that a lot of our best players are 30ish and on the back side of their career.  What will their status be in another year or two waiting to add more talent to the roster? 

Look at Whitworth, he's very productive even though he's 37 years old. I would love to have his old ass playing LT and so would the entire team. The FO thought Whit was too old to re-sign so they let him walk via FA and now the Bengals are starting a guy who was sitting on the couch last year watching Whit in the Superbowl. 

The idea that the modern day player falls off a cliff physically after the age of 30 is out dated and it's that mindset that has the Bengals in it's current situation. The way technology and science has advanced it's possible for guys to be very productive into their late 30's or early 40's if they are good enough. 

AJ Green at 85% is better than 85% of the other NFL WR's, he can play into his mid to late 30's and be a legitimate player in the NFL. 

Look at Whitworth, he's very productive even though he's 37 years old. I would love to have his old ass playing LT and so would the entire team. The FO thought Whit was too old to re-sign so they let him walk via FA and now the Bengals are starting a guy who was sitting on the couch last year watching Whit in the Superbowl. 

The idea that the modern day player falls off a cliff physically after the age of 30 is out dated and it's that mindset that has the Bengals in it's current situation. The way technology and science has advanced it's possible for guys to be very productive into their late 30's or early 40's if they are good enough. 

AJ Green at 85% is better than 85% of the other NFL WR's, he can play into his mid to late 30's and be a legitimate player in the NFL. 

Whitworth has missed 3 games in 10 seasons. Green has missed 18 games in 3 1/2 seasons.  Green has caught 1 pass in 11 months and has sustained 2 significant injuries during that time frame. Apples and oranges.

I doubt any offensive lineman in the history of the NFL has been this durable particularly at this age.  

It is true about Whit.  I wish he never left.  Whit had studied OT's when he was around 30 and knew if he wanted to keep playing he needed a plan.  He became a workout warrior in the off season including a dietary plan to control his weight, yoga, MMA, 2 rounds of golf many days, weight lifting and more.  While many struggle with working out he made it fun with things like pushing his 900 lb golf cart up inclines with his 2 boys in the cart.

But you know as well as I do that Whit is an exception.  Certainly a mistake by the FO for letting him leave but an exception none the less.  There are 1700 players on rosters, how many do you think are 30 and over?  How many 35 and older?  And I bet a lot of those 35 and older are QB's, Kickers and Punters?

I certainly respect your opinion and I do not think you give Green, Dunlap, Geno, Gio and Dalton away for peanuts.  I wasn't expecting much this year but to fix the roster the Bengals need picks either to trade for or draft with.  Those picks have to come from somewhere.

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

Whitworth has missed 3 games in 10 seasons. Green has missed 18 games in 3 1/2 seasons.  Green has caught 1 pass in 11 months and has sustained 2 significant injuries during that time frame. Apples and oranges.

I doubt any offensive lineman in the history of the NFL has been this durable particularly at this age.  

Green has missed 23 games throughout his entire career, that averages out to about 2.5 missed games per season....not great but he has been durable throughout his career. 

Green has missed 23 games throughout his entire career, that averages out to about 2.5 games per season....not great but he has been durable throughout his career. 

He was durable early in his career.  

Archived