Should the Bengals trade AJ Green?

Two different issues here. He said they weren't going to trade AJ. That doesn't mean he's going to sign an extension.

You can't just trade or fire Tobin, can you? Don't you have to use a wooden stake or something?

TheMasterKurtBarlow1979.jpg

47 minutes ago, Cat said:

Two different issues here. He said they weren't going to trade AJ. That doesn't mean he's going to sign an extension.

You can't just trade or fire Tobin, can you? Don't you have to use a wooden stake or something?

Based on past history with Bengals staff I think he basically has to fuck up so thoroughly that he resigns.  Generate enough bad press/publicity to force the issue so Redeemer doesn't feel like he got his hands dirty.

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

He was durable early in his career.  

He's not some Chris Perry/John Ross type of injury magnet either...he'll be fine.

So let's play this out, let's say we trade AJ. Who would you trade him for/to and who would you get to replace him?

It's the same thing with firing Marvin, everyone including myself wanted him gone, but his replacement isn't better by any stretch and now the Bengals have regressed. 

37 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

He's not some Chris Perry/John Ross type of injury magnet either...he'll be fine.

So let's play this out, let's say we trade AJ. Who would you trade him for/to and who would you get to replace him?

It's the same thing with firing Marvin, everyone including myself wanted him gone, but his replacement isn't better by any stretch and now the Bengals have regressed. 

You only trade for higher picks.  Seahawks, Patriots or 49ers make sense but the higher the pick the better.  If they can’t get a high pick then don’t do it. 

The “Bengals suck at the draft” outcry some (not saying you) will retort with is defeatist.  If that is the feeling then the Bengals should just shut down operations.   

In in any case, I don’t see it happening  so more just thinking out loud then anything.   If they don’t extend him before he hits FA it will get interesting. FWIW, Tag number for a WR will be about $17.4 mil next year.  If Green finds out the Bengals are shopping him that would probably not go over well either. Bengals FO not into drama. 

10 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The “Bengals suck at the draft” outcry some (not saying you) will retort with is defeatist.  If that is the feeling then the Bengals should just shut down operations.   

IDC if it's #teamslikethePatriots, they're still only draft picks.  AJ is a known quantity & there's nowhere near a guarantee of landing another like him just because we use a high draft pick. We're just as likely to get another John Ross, or more likely an average between the two.

That being said, this team is so far from competing in any meaningful sense that I'm not sure it matters.  What's a few more holes in this swiss cheese of a roster?

43 minutes ago, SF2 said:

You only trade for higher picks.  Seahawks, Patriots or 49ers make sense but the higher the pick the better.  If they can’t get a high pick then don’t do it. 

In in any case, I don’t see it happening  so more just thinking out loud then anything.   If they don’t extend him before he hits FA it will get interesting. FWIW, Tag number for a WR will be about $17.4 mil next year.  If Green finds out the Bengals are shopping him that would probably not go over well either. Bengals FO not into drama. 

Considering the teams you mentioned have 1 loss combined, I think they will probably all make the playoffs and the Pats could be back in the Superbowl.

If that's the case then you're looking at a mid 20's pick at best, no way I would trade AJ for some borderline first round talent like Billy Price or Dre K.

I honestly don't care about Green's tag number and it sounds like a long term deal will be signed sooner than later. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/j-green-not-money-ve-191229681.html

He doesn't seem like he wants to reset the market for his position and he wants to stay in Cincinnati, two key factors to signing a long term deal. 

Mike Brown is loyal above all things, he has resigned lesser talents that didn't want big money. Peko, Pacman, Geathers, Johnson, etc...I Green wants to stay and doesn't want to break the bank in the process, he'll be a Bengal for life...no doubt about it. 

52 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

IDC if it's #teamslikethePatriots, they're still only draft picks.  AJ is a known quantity & there's nowhere near a guarantee of landing another like him just because we use a high draft pick. We're just as likely to get another John Ross, or more likely an average between the two.

That being said, this team is so far from competing in any meaningful sense that I'm not sure it matters.  What's a few more holes in this swiss cheese of a roster?

I think with a few well placed players the Bengals could be much more competitive. 

First thing I would do is bench Dalton, he's a huge liability and the numbers don't lie.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/10/10/20908329/bengals-news-andy-dalton-pro-football-focus-pff-nfl-stats

A mobile QB that can avoid the rush and make a play or two would be awesome. Look at Gardner Minshew, he's mobile and can make throws when pocket breaks down.The Oline isn't going to fix itself over night, might has well get a QB that can avoid the rush and still make a few plays.   

Dalton looks shell shocked and doesn't do anything until the game is basically over and teams stop pressuring him. Dalton tucks his head prepared to be taken like prison bitch in the showers...it's quite disgusting.

3 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I think with a few well placed players the Bengals could be much more competitive. 

First thing I would do is bench Dalton, he's a huge liability and the numbers don't lie.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/10/10/20908329/bengals-news-andy-dalton-pro-football-focus-pff-nfl-stats

A mobile QB that can avoid the rush and make a play or two would be awesome. Look at Gardner Minshew, he's mobile and can make throws when pocket breaks down.The Oline isn't going to fix itself over night, might has well get a QB that can avoid the rush and still make a few plays.   

Dalton looks shell shocked and doesn't do anything until the game is basically over and teams stop pressuring him. Dalton tucks his head prepared to be taken like prison bitch in the showers...it's quite disgusting.

We don't have an OL or a defense.   You could put 3 Tom Bradys under center & it wouldn't matter.   Dalton looks spent to me too but he's really the least of our worries.  If all our roster was his kind of average we would've won a game by now.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

We don't have an OL or a defense.   You could put 3 Tom Bradys under center & it wouldn't matter.   Dalton looks spent to me too but he's really the least of our worries.  If all our roster was his kind of average we would've won a game by now.

Dalton is holding this team back, they should have won a game by now if he could play better. 

We both know Dalton will never win a Super Bowl so why not move on now. 

1 minute ago, PatternMaster said:

Dalton is holding this team back

:lmao:  Yeah dude they'd be 5-0 if it weren't for that darn Andy Dalton!

Thanks for the laugh.   He may not be very good but he's a HoF'er compared to most of the people around him.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Thanks for the laugh.   He may not be very good but he's a HoF'er compared to most of the people around him.

It is almost comical at this point. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

It is almost comical at this point. 

I'm hoping they don't draft a new QB into this trainwreck of an offense but I fear that's exactly what's going to happen since apparently the other 10 guys on the field are invisible anyway to most fans.  From a business standpoint it's a lot cheaper to keep drafting QB's than to invest in a competent OL & try to build for sustained success.  Kind of like how it's easier to fire a HC than to make the widespread systemic changes necessary for them to win.  This franchise seems to love nothing more than a cheap fix.  They should replace the orange stripes with duct tape.

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

3-2.  :no ninja:

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

We must be watching different games.  The only 2 that even looked that close were the opener where he had one of his better career games & then last week when he led a comeback that was promptly squandered.  Granted he's looked shell-shocked and scared most of the rest of the time but he's also taking a beating behind a shit OL due to absolute incompetence from a joke FO.  And hasn't demanded a trade.   He's pretty much a punching bag while Zac etc figure out WTF they're going to do next.  

This idea that a rookie QB would turn it all around is pure fantasy.

12 hours ago, Jason said:

I really don’t know what to say to someone who thinks Ryan Finley would have this team at 3-2 if he were the starting QB.  You have ZERO evidence to back up such a claim. Guy has never played a NFL down. 

Archived