Bengals vs Stealers Game, Good, Bad, and Ugly...

Good: The Bengals were winning by 3 points for a little while...

Bad:  A 3 point lead doesn't last long when the line collapses over and over again, interception, fumble, etc...

Ugly:  The media rebuilding the image of a 1-3 Stealer's team into a playoff hopeful... 

The Good:

~That dumpster fire in a train wreck was away.  Didn't have to pay to watch the execution (more specifically, the lack thereof) or drive home after the debacle at zero dark 30.

~ Love seeing Zac go after the refs after years of Marv standing with arms folded and nodding his head when questioning a miserable and blown call.  Marv was like Kevin Bacon pledging the fraternity in Animal House *smack* Thank you, sir, may I have another?"

The Bad and Ugly and all that goes with it:

We currently do not have the personnel to field a professional football team, one that can compete an NFL caliber team.  We have a team built on cast offs their former and often numerous teams dumped.  B.M. Webb, John Jerry, Hart, #52, etc.  Doesn't cut it.  Piss poor playing seems to be contagous.  For example, Billy Price goes in and immediately gives up the biggest whiff since Pop Warner days and he played well at ORG the previous week.  We simply don't have the horses.

Andy if finished and playing out the string. Looks terrified walking up to the line.  Justin Herbert, come on down.

0-16 is possible.  

35 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

We currently do not have the personnel to field a professional football team, one that can compete an NFL caliber team. 

And how does that happen? The Bengals draft grades, if they can be believed, have been at least average, and in most cases above average the last several years. Duke Tobin was supposed to be a huge difference maker from the old days in player evaluation and selection. Please....exclude Mike Brown from your answer.

Draft grades are only useful 3-4 years after the draft. But for this team, the draft grades of late being 'average' has been the result of good drafting in some areas (like DL) and horrendous drafting in other areas (like OL and LB). As a result, for the past 3 years the OL has been a huge gap on offense and the LB's a huge gap on defense. Compounding the issue is the will have a few good drafts in a row followed by some stinkers so you have age gaps in the roster as well.  Compounding further, we have tended to have weak coaches of late so the players either do not develop quickly or the systems are poor. And of course when we have large gaps in the roster we refuse to go out in the FA market and fill them. 

Is Tobin at fault? Partially at least. He contributes to the mess. Clearly they are not drafting well enough overall and very very clearly they have little clue how to properly scout for the OL and LB positions. Tobin runs this department not Mikey so if the buck stops with Tobin on this one. Does he have the same tools as other team's guy in the same position? Clearly not but that  just means he is either (a) complicit in the belief that this model of player development works or (b) has no balls and won't stand up for himself and leave the organization due to the way it is run. I said the same thing when Merv was here, he accepted the way the team was run, he accepted they had little or no chance to win. He took the money and basically shut up. Right now Tobin is doing the same. I think we have no real clue whether or not he is truly good at his job - what we do know - he is not good at his job given the conditions of the job. 

Here is a funny article from today:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/10/1/20893165/bengals-dre-kirkpatrick-Stealers-news-nfl

“We gotta just figure this s*** out. We gotta get wins. They don’t pay me to lose. That s*** is unacceptable to me.”

Four sentences. Four equally compelling statements that need but brief explanations.

“We gotta just figure this s*** out.”

The s*** that needs figuring out isn’t too complicated. Your brother-in-law, James, who sells latex for Vandelay Industries, can tell you what the problems are.

The Bengals are not very talented. It’s tough to win at all when the personnel isn’t up to snuff. And the coaches aren’t good enough at this point to boost that talent to a needed level of competence. Very simple.

26 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Draft grades are only useful 3-4 years after the draft. But for this team, the draft grades of late being 'average' has been the result of good drafting in some areas (like DL) and horrendous drafting in other areas (like OL and LB). As a result, for the past 3 years the OL has been a huge gap on offense and the LB's a huge gap on defense. Compounding the issue is the will have a few good drafts in a row followed by some stinkers so you have age gaps in the roster as well.  Compounding further, we have tended to have weak coaches of late so the players either do not develop quickly or the systems are poor. And of course when we have large gaps in the roster we refuse to go out in the FA market and fill them.

Other than that, we are looking good...  :badger:

43 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

A school board official=politician? Yeah, its an elected position, but not really political.  

If Todd Portune is still wishing for them to hang around....that is newsworthy.     

3 starter-quality players is an excellent draft.  We need an entire OL & LB corps, there's next to nothing on the depth chart.  Considering that a team is likely to lose at least a couple of starters every offseason the simple math tells you we're in too big a hole to build solely through the draft.  Borderline retirees from equally bad teams aren't going to fill in the gaps.  

The choice is either overpaying for some admittedly-average vets for some short term stability they can build on, or more of the same.  They've consistently refused to make those kind of moves in the past but I really don't see a 3rd option.   Even from a pure business standpoint the value of their brand is in free-fall.   I can't explain it other than a frothy combination of stubborness and pride, but pride in what?  They'd rather bring back Andre Smith than admit they made a mistake drafting him in the first place.   Their business model is about as flexible as the owner.  

tl;dr - Nothing changes with Redeemer at the helm.

Good- I left around 9 so I missed most of the beatdown

Bad- Finding out the Bengals got crushed on the way in to work

Ugly- Watching the hi-lights on NFL.com. I feel we shall be seeing Finley and/or Dolegala soon not so much because Andy is benched but because Andy is dead.

The good......

Jeez....wow...i gwt back with ya...

The bad.....jeez...wow...

That was the worst showing of an offensive line ive Ever seen!

Even when Dalton had time he was all over the place with his throws..

You cant replace four offensive line starters..The center is decent...

Pity Joe Mixon.old song called nowhere to run...yep

The Ugly..

Total embarrassment ....

jesus Anyone could run this team better.... its not that hard to figure out, They allow Whit to leave with  low balling offers, and have now spent 2-3 times as much on poor quality as he was asking and still are no where close to average at that position.It is obvious to even a 6 year old, you cant go man on man with this offensive line. especially a defense that only has 3 DL and 1,2,or 3 other undefined possible pass rushers at anytime.  

if the offense can even turn 2 of their 7-8ish  3 and outs to 4-6 plays and just punts. the defense becomes twice as good. (just by not being out there. ) they were 4 for 14 on 3rd down last night

4 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Pity Joe Mixon.old song called nowhere to run...

Averaged over 5 ypc on his first ten attempts.   It's weird, we don't stop throwing the ball at the first dropped pass but let a run get stuffed for no gain and they tear that section out of the playbook.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Averaged over 5 ypc on his first ten attempts.   It's weird, we don't stop throwing the ball at the first dropped pass but let a run get stuffed for no gain and they tear that section out of the playbook.

Yeah he got thru what mittle holes he had...

Hes a good runner with nowhere to go way too much...

Archived