Fire Duke Tobin

31 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I can only assume Tobin has compromising pictures of Katie, Troy or Mike. Maybe all three. 

I just think the Brown family is extremely lazy and stupid when it comes to running the Bengals. I don't get the sense they are working around the clock, trying as hard as they can to get this franchise to the Super Bowl. 

They say they want to win but I don't think they are willing to put in the work to ensure that it occurs. 

19 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I just think the Brown family is extremely lazy and stupid when it comes to running the Bengals. I don't get the sense they are working around the clock, trying as hard as they can to get this franchise to the Super Bowl. 

They say they want to win but I don't think they are willing to put in the work to ensure that it occurs. 

That is basically my take as well.   It really shows during FA.  The Bengals are almost never active the first few days.  They let the dust settle and then see if anything is left. Go after guys that wont take much work to get here.   Resigning marginal players to new deals like Hart is another example, it was just easy and lazy.  

Getting Taylor here was another.  Just easier to sign a young guy who would do anything to be the head coach than go after a veteran head coach that already made all those mistakes and will have certain demands based on real experience the Browns don't want to negotiate over.   

I really don't think they are stupid, but you hit the nail right on the head:  They just don't want to work that hard.  Taking the vacation to Switzerland before the trade deadline is simply a classic example.  Just no real effort to improve the teams' chances going forward.   They show up at the draft, grab a few meh FAs and that is pretty much it.  The occasional trade with Bills is another. 

33 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

20 minutes ago, SF2 said:

That is basically my take as well.   It really shows during FA.  The Bengals are almost never active the first few days.  They let the dust settle and then see if anything is left. Go after guys that wont take much work to get here.   Resigning marginal players to new deals like Hart is another example, it was just easy and lazy.  

Getting Taylor here was another.  Just easier to sign a young guy who would do anything to be the head coach than go after a veteran head coach that already made all those mistakes and will have certain demands based on real experience the Browns don't want to negotiate over.   

I really don't think they are stupid, I you hit the nail right on the head though:  They just don't want to work that hard.  Taking the vacation to Switzerland before the trade deadline is simply a classic example.  Just no real effort to improve the teams' chances going forward.   They show up at the draft, grab a few meh FAs and that is pretty much it.  The occasional trade with Bills is another. 

The Brown's might not be lazy but they are definitely overwhelmed.  They are still running the business like a Mom and Pop hardware store they started 50 years ago with the same handful of family members and friends as the staff doing everything. 

16 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I am all for this, but who can we replace him with?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836745-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-top-nfl-gm-candidates-2020-big-board-and-more

There's plenty of qualified candidates and the Bengals have the resources to upgrade the front office and the roster. The big question is do they have the desire and competency to get the job done. 

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836745-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-top-nfl-gm-candidates-2020-big-board-and-more

There's plenty of qualified candidates and the Bengals have the resources to upgrade the front office and the roster. The big question is do they have the desire and competency to get the job done. 

The other question is who would take the job knowing it would be a GM role without the GM title? (Also knowing the limited resources with regard to scouting)

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

The Brown's might not be lazy but they are definitely overwhelmed.  They are still running the business like a Mom and Pop hardware store they started 50 years ago with the same handful of family members and friends as the staff doing everything. 

They're lazy and incompetent, you don't set records for futility and ineptitude unless you are both of things. 

Not winning a playoff game in almost 30 years despite profit sharing, free agency, etc..screams of laziness and stupidity. If they are overwhelmed they could out source certain task or add staff, the Brown family is too lazy and cheap do that and not fuck it up.

correct me if I'm wrong but during the run of 5 playoffs with AD and AJ, didn't the media rave about the Marvin and Tobin drafts? The only front office player guy that seems to consistently find good players in all the rounds is Ozzie. But even That Rats have some awful picks. I think the best model is New England, they just pick more players every year and their coaching staff is elite at getting the max out of them. But even they have whiffs.

Statistically, it's unfathomable that the Bengals haven't won a playoff in 30 years.

48 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

But even they have whiffs.

Every team will, the major difference with NE etc being that they just cut the guy and move on when it happens.  They don't stubbornly double down & keep him around for 10 years of lackluster performance and constant injuries hoping to be proven right.  Their accolades are earned through winning games, not collecting Good Boy Points or the fact their dad was a Big Deal.

What can we do as fans? 

I feel like I've done all I can. Haven't bought a ticket since around 2012.  In that same time I have only purchased two little pieces of merchandise. 2 cheap bengal camo hats at mejier in Louisville. 

The Bengals have been actively advertising in Louisville for years now. Too bad they let the potential of Lamar Jackson go right by um. No one around here is buying bengal tickets. It's a embarrassment that they spend money on advertising here. 

I get sticking behind your team until the bitter end. However people got to realize that by buying tix and merch they are feeding the drug addict.  

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Every team will, the major difference with NE etc being that they just cut the guy and move on when it happens.  They don't stubbornly double down & keep him around for 10 years of lackluster performance and constant injuries hoping to be proven right.  Their accolades are earned through winning games, not collecting Good Boy Points or the fact their dad was a Big Deal.

But do they get their tendies tho??  it's all about the tendies.

1 hour ago, Catfish Bob said:

What can we do as fans? 

I feel like I've done all I can. Haven't bought a ticket since around 2012.  In that same time I have only purchased two little pieces of merchandise. 2 cheap bengal camo hats at mejier in Louisville. 

The Bengals have been actively advertising in Louisville for years now. Too bad they let the potential of Lamar Jackson go right by um. No one around here is buying bengal tickets. It's a embarrassment that they spend money on advertising here. 

I get sticking behind your team until the bitter end. However people got to realize that by buying tix and merch they are feeding the drug addict.  

I remember back in the day that Louisville TV would show most if not all the Bengal's game.  Now it's rare.

43 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I remember back in the day that Louisville TV would show most if not all the Bengal's game.  Now it's rare.

Depends on what you consider back in the day. After Manning left Indy we got lots of bengal games until here recently. 

This year we got every single Baltimore game. 

13 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

correct me if I'm wrong but during the run of 5 playoffs with AD and AJ, didn't the media rave about the Marvin and Tobin drafts? The only front office player guy that seems to consistently find good players in all the rounds is Ozzie. But even That Rats have some awful picks. I think the best model is New England, they just pick more players every year and their coaching staff is elite at getting the max out of them. But even they have whiffs.

Statistically, it's unfathomable that the Bengals haven't won a playoff in 30 years.

The formula you seek is

1 - (1 - P)^N

P= probability of success
N = number of trials
^ = to the power of

12 of 32 teams make playoffs or 37.5%. Divided by 2 equals P or 18.75% win a playoff game every year.  

N= 29 years. EDIT actually 30 seasons but close enough. 

So 1-(1-.1875)^29=odds of winning 1 playoff game in 29 years.  99.757% or so.    Add in the Mike Brown correlation adjustment and the answers is 0%. 

22 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

So it's this guy:

ab4f5ad5f7f782e1.jpeg

Then it's this guy:

EGx0YYAWsAIv_FP.thumb.jpeg.e123c316432efa2c41038197d4d2db2c.jpeg

You would think a group that looked this depressed at an NFL football game would find something better to do with their time or lives. 

23 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Especially if they could get a billion dollars to do it.

$2 Billion actually

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/09/04/the-nfls-most-valuable-teams-2019-cowboys-lead-league-at-55-billion/#198235792f1b

The Stealers make twice the money the Bengals do and their team is worth $800 Million more - so we wouldn't want to copy how they operate, no, makes no sense to do that! The Browns are clueless business people

5 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

$2 Billion actually

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/09/04/the-nfls-most-valuable-teams-2019-cowboys-lead-league-at-55-billion/#198235792f1b

The Stealers make twice the money the Bengals do and their team is worth $800 Million more - so we wouldn't want to copy how they operate, no, makes no sense to do that! The Browns are clueless business people

This is exactly what I was thinking after seeing that Dupree is a free agent. 

Let's just start picking up as many of their guys as we can. Same with Baltimore. That Peterson is a free agent too. 

Copy and paste. They drop anyone we at least bring um in and kick the tires. Ruthlessly pursue their free agents. Make them over pay for everyone they want to return. 

Interesting article in the Athletic on players from the Browns 1-31 double season. Speaks to difficult it can be for players and their families to come to a losing team:

https://theathletic.com/1490161/2019/12/27/sons-of-1-31-browns-who-survived-worst-back-to-back-seasons-in-nfl-history-discuss-heartbreak-of-past-share-hopes-for-the-future/

“I cried when I found out we were moving to Cleveland,” said Megan, recalling her emotions on the day the Browns selected Joe in the fourth round.

“I wanted to move somewhere more exciting — and Cleveland really proved me wrong on this point — but also I wanted him to go to a more successful team. Going to the Browns was hard to accept at first. We had people texting us saying, ‘Congrats, but I’m sorry for your loss.’ That kind of thing.”

The low point arrived Dec. 31, 2017, as the Browns completed just the second 0-16 season in league history against a Stealers’ side resting key contributors for the playoffs. Brown had been fired several weeks earlier, but in a last bit of irony his first draft pick, Corey Coleman, dropped a touchdown pass that would have won the game.

The despair inside the visitors’ locker room was palpable. Coleman fought back tears. His teammates were shattered.

“The Stealers didn’t even play Ben (Roethlisberger) in that last game, and we couldn’t beat them,” Bitonio said this summer during training camp. “We had a chance to go down the field and win on that last drive, and we just didn’t quite do enough. Just sitting back and thinking, ‘This isn’t what it’s supposed to be like. You’re supposed to win games. You get high draft picks every year, there is free agency. NFL teams are not supposed to be this bad.’

“I honestly had forgotten what it felt like to win games.”

3 minutes ago, Catfish Bob said:

This is exactly what I was thinking after seeing that Dupree is a free agent. 

Let's just start picking up as many of their guys as we can. Same with Baltimore. That Peterson is a free agent too. 

Copy and paste. They drop anyone we at least bring um in and kick the tires. Ruthlessly pursue their free agents. Make them over pay for everyone they want to return. 

Excepyt unlike the Bengals the good teams know exactly what value they will pay for each player. Teams like the Ravens or the Pats would barely consider a slug like Hart let alone pay him $5-$6M per year. 

Archived