The curious case of Cordy Glenn

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

There are plenty of hockey players that have been out for multiple months on concussion protocol and play again.  Why do you never see that in football?

Contracts are guaranteed in hockey.  They get their money even if they can't play again.  Chris Pronger is a good example.  No one screams that they are milking money.  Only football and football fans. 

Chris Pronger still has symptoms of concussions 8 years after quitting the game because of them. The NHL never cared about player safety back then.  

Most NFL contracts come with large guaranteed bonuses for the better players. Glenn has $36 mil guaranteed 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

Chris Pronger still has symptoms of concussions 8 years after quitting the game because of them. The NHL never cared about player safety back then.  

Most NFL contracts come with large guaranteed bonuses for the better players. Glenn has $36 mil guaranteed 

Frankly, most people didn't know any better.  In the past decade we know better, but football people scream about a guy that still has symptoms after two months?  Jordan Staal was out for two months last season with concussion symptoms.  No one screamed he was faking.  Colorado Avalanche prospect Connor Timmons missed a whole year with symptoms.  No one screamed he was faking.  Somehow every NFL player seems to recover from a concussion in a week or two.  If they don't the team and fans start screaming. 

Your fake concern is easy to see through.  Glenn may just need more time, let him have it.

The thought of faking has crossed my mind as well, but in the end it's a waste of time to even contemplate.  Faking or not, he's going to sit out, and if that's what makes him feel better then fine, go ahead.  His sitting out alone  isn't the problem with the Bengals, he wasn't even meant to be the LT anymore.  Williams injury + Glenn injury + Clint Boling retirement = decimated OL.  The Bengals could not plan for that.  Yes, signing Bobby Hart is a head scratcher and demonstrates a weird overvaluing of a player, but they could have mitigated that with a line that was otherwise sound.  Look on the bright side, at least we know we have a decent center, which is something that not every team can say (and we have been one of those teams for many years).

33 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Frankly, most people didn't know any better.  In the past decade we know better, but football people scream about a guy that still has symptoms after two months?  Jordan Staal was out for two months last season with concussion symptoms.  No one screamed he was faking.  Colorado Avalanche prospect Connor Timmons missed a whole year with symptoms.  No one screamed he was faking.  Somehow every NFL player seems to recover from a concussion in a week or two.  If they don't the team and fans start screaming. 

Your fake concern is easy to see through.  Glenn may just need more time, let him have it.

I am not concerned for him at all.  He has missed 23 games in the last 4 years.  He was a bad signing.  The Bills resigned him to a 5 year $65 mil contract, $36mil guaranteed.  THE NEXT YEAR they trade him to the Bengals for draft picks.  Let me break this down for you, the Bills traded a Left Tackle they had just resigned to a big contract for draft picks.   Could there be a bigger red flag than that?  What team gives away a quality Left Tackle under contract for draft picks?  Nobody does and the Bills didn't.

15 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I am not concerned for him at all.  He has missed 23 games in the last 4 years.  He was a bad signing.  The Bills resigned him to a 5 year $65 mil contract, $36mil guaranteed.  THE NEXT YEAR they trade him to the Bengals for draft picks.  Let me break this down for you, the Bills traded a Left Tackle they had just resigned to a big contract for draft picks.   Could there be a bigger red flag than that?  What team gives away a quality Left Tackle under contract for draft picks?  Nobody does and the Bills didn't.

I agree with all of that.  I disagree with doubting a guy's concussion symptoms. 

15 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I agree with all of that.  I disagree with doubting a guy's concussion symptoms. 

You see, the Bills got rid of him for a reason. That reason was NOT because he is a bad left tackle.  In fact, when healthy he is pretty good.  I find it interesting that after one season hurt they would give up on him.    Something else was going on in my opinion. 

20 minutes ago, SF2 said:

You see, the Bills got rid of him for a reason. That reason was NOT because he is a bad left tackle.  In fact, when healthy he is pretty good.  I find it interesting that after one season hurt they would give up on him.    Something else was going on in my opinion. 

Exactly.  With a lot of guys who are (supposedly) good players and are available, I always wonder

what the hidden agenda of their team being willing to move them along, anyway.

Unless its money.

They're available for a reason.

I seriously doubt if this pant load ever sees the field again at least in Cincinnati.

Same for Ross the Loss.

48 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Exactly.  With a lot of guys who are (supposedly) good players and are available, I always wonder

what the hidden agenda of their team being willing to move them along, anyway.

Unless its money.

They're available for a reason.

I seriously doubt if this pant load ever sees the field again at least in Cincinnati.

Same for Ross the Loss.

Ross will probably be here next year.  $2.7 mil is what they owe him, it is guaranteed and he counts $5.44mil against the cap as well in 2020.  Unless they can trade him he will be here. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Maybe so.  Doesn't change anything.  Unless proven, accusing a guy of faking concussion symptoms is out of line.

31 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Maybe so.  Doesn't change anything.  Unless proven, accusing a guy of faking concussion symptoms is out of line.

LOL, guys pull this crap in the NFL all the time.  Chad Johnson sat out the last 2 games of 2010 so he wouldn't risk getting hurt before he could escape to New England.  Is Glenn faking it?  Don't know but it seems odd he would self report the concussion after a pre season game he had limited snaps in. 

I think Jay Morrison said it best on an Oct 3rd tweet: "I went back and watched every play from the Chiefs and Redskins games (pre season) and saw nothing. The team will only say he reported it after the Redskins game, and we're prohibited from talking to Cordy while he's in protocol. The when, like so much else about this, remains a mystery. " 

19 minutes ago, bengalmonsta said:

Wow y'all some heartless bastards up in here.

Nah, just me and a few others.  I simply asked a straight forward question:  When and how did Glenn get his concussion?   I don't think that is a crazy question for fan to ask. 

21 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Nah, just me and a few others.  I simply asked a straight forward question:  When and how did Glenn get his concussion?   I don't think that is a crazy question for fan to ask. 

LOL. I don't THINK they have to release that to the public. He has no history of quitting and actually they said he had a great attitude about the whole position switch thing. But personally after 2 months in protocol, I think he's done.

1 hour ago, bengalmonsta said:

LOL. I don't THINK they have to release that to the public. He has no history of quitting and actually they said he had a great attitude about the whole position switch thing. But personally after 2 months in protocol, I think he's done.

I agree they don't have to release it but almost every concussion in the league typically is due to a violent hit on the field or practice,  Mason Rudolph yesterday being a prime example.  How he got his concussion being shrouded in secret is simply odd.  Its NFL football, whether he got it in practice or a game isn't going to shock anyone, but keeping it a secret will eventually start to draw attention. 

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I agree they don't have to release it but almost every concussion in the league typically is due to a violent hit on the field or practice,  Mason Rudolph yesterday being a prime example.  How he got his concussion being shrouded in secret is simply odd.  Its NFL football, whether he got it in practice or a game isn't going to shock anyone, but keeping it a secret will eventually start to draw attention. 

It often doesn't take a huge hit to cause a concussion.  Sometimes just a funny hit will do it.  Especially if you have had concussions in the past.  I love some jackass that thinks he can look at video and find where a guy gets a concussion.  Glenn may have gotten a smack in the head in practice, played through it and then a little hit in another practice or game set the symptoms off.  One of the things the doctors do agree on is that multiple hits to the same injured brain does great damage.

Frankly, a bunch of nobodies trying to play doctor is the issue.  Jay Morrison is a clown for trying to diagnose a concussion from film.  Other sports take concussions more seriously than football, and apparently the football media and fans.  Blood sport, indeed.

51 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

It often doesn't take a huge hit to cause a concussion.  Sometimes just a funny hit will do it.  Especially if you have had concussions in the past.  I love some jackass that thinks he can look at video and find where a guy gets a concussion.  Glenn may have gotten a smack in the head in practice, played through it and then a little hit in another practice or game set the symptoms off.  One of the things the doctors do agree on is that multiple hits to the same injured brain does great damage.

Frankly, a bunch of nobodies trying to play doctor is the issue.  Jay Morrison is a clown for trying to diagnose a concussion from film.  Other sports take concussions more seriously than football, and apparently the football media and fans.  Blood sport, indeed.

Nobody is trying to play doctor, the fans and media are just trying to figure out what happened to the Bengal’s starting left tackle that is being paid $9.25 mil.    

If Dalton showed up in a walking boot and the organization said, “He broke his ankle.” The average fan would want to know when and how. Not even addressing the question would certainly be odd.  

Glenn is just lucky he plays for the Bengals and the national media doesn’t care about them. Imagine trying this in New England, New York or Dallas. 

7 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Williams injury + Glenn injury + Clint Boling retirement = decimated OL.  The Bengals could not plan for that.  

Sure they could, it's why teams have a depth chart.  Williams is nothing more than a prospect, he could be 100% and just suck.  Counting on a rookie to start 16 games at LT was bordering on fantasy, but counting on Andre Smith as their plan B was the same as giving up.  Cordy Glenn wasn't healthy when we traded for him and hasn't been since, expecting him to last 16 games was delusional (assuming they actually give a shit.)  Boling retired in mid-July, that's plenty of time to find a halfway-capable replacement guard. 

Anyone paying attention outside the Bengals FO could see this coming.  It's bad decisions, not bad luck.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Nobody is trying to play doctor, the fans and media are just trying to figure out what happened to the Bengal’s starting left tackle that is being paid $9.25 mil.    

If Dalton showed up in a walking boot and the organization said, “He broke his ankle.” The average fan would want to know when and how. Not even addressing the question would certainly be odd.  

Glenn is just lucky he plays for the Bengals and the national media doesn’t care about them. Imagine trying this in New England, New York or Dallas. 

A broken ankle and a concussion are entirely different.  If you've been paying attention football players are suffering greatly at the end of life due to head trauma.  These injuries don't have defined treatments, or outcomes like an ankle injury.  You, media types, and the NFL trying to define head injuries of this type is pure ignorance or worse. 

Who gives a shit, eh?  He has been paid a lot of money, huh?  Either play or retire.  You need your entertainment! 

7 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

A broken ankle and a concussion are entirely different.  If you've been paying attention football players are suffering greatly at the end of life due to head trauma.  These injuries don't have defined treatments, or outcomes like an ankle injury.  You, media types, and the NFL trying to define head injuries of this type is pure ignorance or worse. 

Who gives a shit, eh?  He has been paid a lot of money, huh?  Either play or retire.  You need your entertainment! 

No, I have said nothing of the sort.  I am well educated on concussions.  I have to go thru concussion certification every year as a coach and referee.  But the cold hard fact remains that he is being paid a lot of money to play professional football.  If he can't get on the field because of a concussion symptoms that has lasted almost 50days, then he probably needs to call it a career.   Once you have a severe concussion of this type you are FAR more likely to suffer another one and it typically takes way less impact to get the same effect.  

I would rather he not step on the field again because I can almost guarantee it will happen again.   He is an NFL offensive lineman and he CAN'T avoid impacts to his head playing this position particularly when run blocking.  For the average Joe, its pretty easy to avoid another concussion or impact to the head, for an Offensive lineman it is almost impossible.    What is ignorant is to think another month or two and he will be good as new.  It takes FAR longer than that and you are NEVER good as new.    The Bengals need to move on.

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

No, I have said nothing of the sort.  I am well educated on concussions.  I have to go thru concussion certification every year as a coach and referee.  But the cold hard fact remains that he is being paid a lot of money to play professional football.  If he can't get on the field because of a concussion symptoms that has lasted almost 50days, then he probably needs to call it a career.   Once you have a severe concussion of this type you are FAR more likely to suffer another one and it typically takes way less impact to get the same effect.  

I would rather he not step on the field again because I can almost guarantee it will happen again.   He is an NFL offensive lineman and he CAN'T avoid impacts to his head playing this position particularly when run blocking.  For the average Joe, its pretty easy to avoid another concussion or impact to the head, for an Offensive lineman it is almost impossible.    What is ignorant is to think another month or two and he will be good as new.  It takes FAR longer than that and you are NEVER good as new.    The Bengals need to move on.

You know because you go through concussion testing?  That's a laugh.  It is not uncommon for an athlete to need more than a few weeks (NFL standard) to clear concussion protocol.  Unfortunately, professional athletes are known to bomb their baseline tests so they can get back on the field, so it makes it even harder to figure it out.  Your line of logic about concussions fails.  Every tackle football player has had some kind of concussion(s).  By your standards no one should play football because they will get multiple concussions.  Who knows how much is too much?  Why do some guys get CTE and others don't?  You don't know and neither do the doctors.  This is Cordy Glenn's call.  Not yours, the Bengals, or anyone else's. 

My only point is that it's ignorant to call out Glenn because you aren't him.  No one else knows how he is feeling and trying to use how much money he has made has nothing to do with it. 

46 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

You know because you go through concussion testing?  That's a laugh.  It is not uncommon for an athlete to need more than a few weeks (NFL standard) to clear concussion protocol.  Unfortunately, professional athletes are known to bomb their baseline tests so they can get back on the field, so it makes it even harder to figure it out.  Your line of logic about concussions fails.  Every tackle football player has had some kind of concussion(s).  By your standards no one should play football because they will get multiple concussions.  Who knows how much is too much?  Why do some guys get CTE and others don't?  You don't know and neither do the doctors.  This is Cordy Glenn's call.  Not yours, the Bengals, or anyone else's. 

My only point is that it's ignorant to call out Glenn because you aren't him.  No one else knows how he is feeling and trying to use how much money he has made has nothing to do with it. 

You are drama queen that has some kind of man crush on Glenn.  Fuck it I hope he comes back. His job is to entertain me the fan. Team is 0-5. If he can come back and help us win a game, good. His choices are not my problem or concern. If his brain turns to mush like Junior Seau, his problem. I will let people like you worship and praise him and make excuses for why he was allowed back on the field when ever non affiliated neurologist would tell him not to. Your the sadistic fuck, not me.

Oh, and I think he is faking it. Sorry I just don’t believe him.  New coaching staff, cunt oline coach and moved to new position. He took a look around at this shit show and is bailing out. Just my opinion, I might be wrong. 

I took a hard helmet hit square in the chin back before chin pads and it fucked me up bad. 

After that at night I would be sitting up in bed thinking I was at football practice. Talking, going through motions, everything. 

Started having deja Vu a lot too. 

Haven't played in almost 20 years and luckily everything has went back too normal. 

But you never know how bad these things could be. Especially with the person's personality and how they'll react. If it freaks them out or not. Somehow I got through but was a odd time. 

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Sure they could, it's why teams have a depth chart.  Williams is nothing more than a prospect, he could be 100% and just suck.  Counting on a rookie to start 16 games at LT was bordering on fantasy, but counting on Andre Smith as their plan B was the same as giving up.  Cordy Glenn wasn't healthy when we traded for him and hasn't been since, expecting him to last 16 games was delusional (assuming they actually give a shit.)  Boling retired in mid-July, that's plenty of time to find a halfway-capable replacement guard. 

Anyone paying attention outside the Bengals FO could see this coming.  It's bad decisions, not bad luck.

To address the various points:

- Williams:  Eh, teams expect the first tackle taken to be able to play, period.  Planning for failure there means you might as well not draft, just trade your picks for "known quantities" or several lower picks all the time, and stack your depth chart with them.  The reality is you need to hit on some first rounders or you're toast.  If you swing and miss, you take your lumps and move on (or if you're the Bengals, you keep sending the lump on the field, just to reinforce the definition of insanity).

- Smith wasn't plan B, Glenn moving back to LT was.  If history is any guide, Boling moving there was plan C.  Smith is plan D.

- Glenn did ok last year, and didn't show signs of concussion symptoms as far as we know.  If the team knew about any such things beforehand, then I'd agree.

- Mid July is training camp.  The replacement guard was supposed to be Miller, but Price falling apart wasn't part of the plan either (I should have mentioned that in the first post).

Look at it this way.  I think it's reasonable to say that this was the planned/hoped-for starting OL lineup, post-draft:

Williams - Glenn - Price - Boling - Hart

Now it's probable that Boling warned the team early and this quickly became the alternative, or even was the original plan knowing Boling would be unavailable for "some time", at best:

Williams - Glenn - Price - Miller - Hart

Granted this was an over-valuing of a player in Miller, at least in my opinion.  It's not a total disaster though because you still have Hopkins, Redmond (4 games in), Westerman, and Jordan as backups.  Well ok so now Williams is hurt:

Glenn - Hopkins - Price - Miller - Hart

That's getting ugly quick.  So Boling retires and they sign Smith.  That doesn't materially change anything for the starters.  Next event is Price proves he blows, and now you have this:

Glenn - Jordan - Hopkins - Miller - Hart

Lower-round rookies starting?  Good thing they drafted one for depth, right?  Ok so Glenn gets hurt right quick:

Smith - Jordan - Hopkins - Miller - Hart

Now we're in garbage town.  But what kind of depth could the Bengals trade for or sign off the street that would mitigate this disaster?  They're on their third LT, third LG, second (arguably) RG, second C, and an RT admittedly doomed to fail.  I don't see how "planning" could have gotten them out of this situation, this is them fielding their "4th preseason game" OL, all through unforeseen circumstances.  I also think it's fair to say the Bengals knew they weren't actually Super Bowl contenders and didn't see any drastic need to back-fill this line with "that one missing piece" when they actually have *four* missing pieces.

I also don't see any line in the NFL that has the depth to see little to no let-down from the same situation.  All good lines have at least one "top shelf" player, usually drafted by them.  The Bengals got here by failing miserably in drafting Ogbuehi and Fisher, trying desperately to fix the problem by trading for Glenn, drafting Price high, and where has any of this proactive behaviour gotten them?  Nah, I'll never buy that the Bengals could have planned or schemed their way around this situation.  They tried, shit happened, and now they're at square one with at least two of their line positions, probably three.

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

You are drama queen that has some kind of man crush on Glenn.  Fuck it I hope he comes back. His job is to entertain me the fan. Team is 0-5. If he can come back and help us win a game, good. His choices are not my problem or concern. If his brain turns to mush like Junior Seau, his problem. I will let people like you worship and praise him and make excuses for why he was allowed back on the field when ever non affiliated neurologist would tell him not to. Your the sadistic fuck, not me.

Oh, and I think he is faking it. Sorry I just don’t believe him.  New coaching staff, cunt oline coach and moved to new position. He took a look around at this shit show and is bailing out. Just my opinion, I might be wrong. 

Fuck you.  You don't know shit.  Just some asshole who thinks he does.

Archived