The curious case of Cordy Glenn

11 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Fuck you.  You don't know shit.  Just some asshole who thinks he does.

You are right, I don't know shit.  Nobody is talking which, like Watergate always leads to rampant speculation.  You are they guy that believes a player who sustained a Chronic concussion and now has postconcussive syndrome or PCS should just wait it out and get  back on the field when any competent doctor would tell him its a bad idea.   The reason why CTE is being found in so many former dead players is due to foolish decisions like this.   

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

You are right, I don't know shit.  Nobody is talking which, like Watergate always leads to rampant speculation.  You are they guy that believes a player who sustained a Chronic concussion and now has postconcussive syndrome or PCS should just wait it out and get  back on the field when any competent doctor would tell him its a bad idea.   The reason why CTE is being found in so many former dead players is due to foolish decisions like this.   

I've said nothing of the sort.  I've said it's up the the player and his doctors as to what kind of concussion he has or what his future prognosis should be.  Not the team, not the fans.  It's not unusual for players to need longer recovery times for concussions, except in the NFL.  If someone goes beyond a couple weeks in the NFL it's like they should be back in the game.  That pressure to return to play is what contributes to CTE. 

My apologies for the outburst.  It's an emotional subject for me.  I've been through this with a loved one who is an athlete.  I've been through a season with players wearing sensors in their helmets to measure impact.  None of it is logical.  Players you would think took the biggest hits weren't necessarily the ones who had the biggest measured impacts.  I have a friend who is an "independent neurologist" who has actually been sent players by the NFL.  He's the one I was paraphrasing about how doctors really don't know what is going on. 

I hate saying "i've seen this or I've done that" on a message board.  It sounds like BS.  Just the same, it applies here.

18 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

You know because you go through concussion testing?  That's a laugh.  It is not uncommon for an athlete to need more than a few weeks (NFL standard) to clear concussion protocol.  Unfortunately, professional athletes are known to bomb their baseline tests so they can get back on the field, so it makes it even harder to figure it out.  Your line of logic about concussions fails.  Every tackle football player has had some kind of concussion(s).  By your standards no one should play football because they will get multiple concussions.  Who knows how much is too much?  Why do some guys get CTE and others don't?  You don't know and neither do the doctors.  This is Cordy Glenn's call.  Not yours, the Bengals, or anyone else's. 

My only point is that it's ignorant to call out Glenn because you aren't him.  No one else knows how he is feeling and trying to use how much money he has made has nothing to do with it. 

SF2 is a truly compassionate individual.  

😂😂😂

16 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

To address the various points:

-

Look at it this way.  I think it's reasonable to say that this was the planned/hoped-for starting OL lineup, post-draft:

Williams - Glenn - Price - Boling - Hart

Now it's probable that Boling warned the team early and this quickly became the alternative, or even was the original plan knowing Boling would be unavailable for "some time", at best:

Williams - Glenn - Price - Miller - Hart

Granted this was an over-valuing of a player in Miller, at least in my opinion.  It's not a total disaster though because you still have Hopkins, Redmond (4 games in), Westerman, and Jordan as backups.  Well ok so now Williams is hurt:

Glenn - Hopkins - Price - Miller - Hart

That encapsulates it quite well.

I'm still pissed Whitworth should still be here to minimize the shitshow that is our O-Line.

HC Zac Taylor on Cordy Glenn:

Are there any updates on the statuses of WR A.J. Green or OT Cordy Glenn?

“No update on Cordy or A.J. We’ll get A.J. through this week. He will not practice this week. He’ll be on the rehab field. He’s making good progress. And Cordy, it’s the same report that I usually give.”

http://local12.com/sports/bengals/10-7-zac-taylor-press-conference-transcript-green-glenn-update-still-positive-at-0-5-cincinnati-nfl-pro-football-aj-cordy-andy-dalton-baltimore-ravens-arizona-cardinals

Based on that response it doesn't seem like there is much progress. This is such a strange situation, the starter for one of the most important positions on the Bengals has been out for months and the HC doesn't know or won't comment on it. 

When you hear what a proven media insider, Dave Lapham, says about Glenn and how the HC basically has nothing to say about Glenn it doesn't seem like the Bengals are on the same page as Glenn.

6 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

HC Zac Taylor on Cordy Glenn:

Are there any updates on the statuses of WR A.J. Green or OT Cordy Glenn?

“No update on Cordy or A.J. We’ll get A.J. through this week. He will not practice this week. He’ll be on the rehab field. He’s making good progress. And Cordy, it’s the same report that I usually give.”

http://local12.com/sports/bengals/10-7-zac-taylor-press-conference-transcript-green-glenn-update-still-positive-at-0-5-cincinnati-nfl-pro-football-aj-cordy-andy-dalton-baltimore-ravens-arizona-cardinals

Based on that response it doesn't seem like there is much progress. This is such a strange situation, the starter for one of the most important positions on the Bengals has been out for months and the HC doesn't know or won't comment on it. 

When you hear what a proven media insider, Dave Lapham, says about Glenn and how the HC basically has nothing to say about Glenn it doesn't seem like the Bengals are on the same page as Glenn.

What did Lapham say?

Doesn't he lose money if he doesn't suit up?  I'm a little confused as to how the contracts work in the NFL.  People talk about "game checks" but do they actually have to participate in a game to earn them or is that just a way of prorating a lump sum they receive as long as they're on the roster?

52 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Doesn't he lose money if he doesn't suit up?  I'm a little confused as to how the contracts work in the NFL.  People talk about "game checks" but do they actually have to participate in a game to earn them or is that just a way of prorating a lump sum they receive as long as they're on the roster?

Glenn is probably in some kind of Worker's Comp situation.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

The season begins with 53 active and any IR or PUP.  They all get game checks once a week once season begins per their contract.  Any active player who then gets hurt and is on injury list still gets a game check.  

That is the entire salary cap, practice squad players don’t count. Practice squad gets $8000 a week minimum and if team makes playoffs, they keep getting paid. 

You can not drop or release an injured player simply to stop paying him his game check.   

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The season begins with 53 active and any IR or PUP.  They all get game checks once a week once season begins per their contract.  Any active player who then gets hurt and is on injury list still gets a game check.  That is the entire salary cap, practice squad players don’t count. They get $8000 a week minimum and if team makes playoffs, they keep getting paid. 

You can not drop or release an injured player simply to stop paying him his game check.   

They couldn't release him before finalizing the roster?

Maybe this will be the incentive they need to stop carrying injury-prone players since losing games hasn't done it.

14 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

They couldn't release him before finalizing the roster?

Maybe this will be the incentive they need to stop carrying injury-prone players since losing games hasn't done it.

Good question.   I am fairly certain you can.  Once on the 53, rules change. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Good question.   I am fairly certain you can.  Once on the 53, rules change. 

I mean, no way they were going to do that if there was even the slightest chance of him playing, considering the alternatives..  But I'm sure he recognized that too.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:31 AM, HavePityPlease said:

To address the various points:

The only thing guaranteed with a first round draft pick is that you'll be paying a big signing bonus.   Smith was a very average RT at his best.  He is far removed from his best & they expected him to be able to play LT now?  Based on what?  His biggest asset for the team was familiarity, something we've seen before.  Glenn...  IDK why we keep acting like Glenn is an answer when he hasn't played a full season since 2015.  Just another built-in injury excuse I guess?  And Hart..  Who knows why they extended that guy but he struggled last year and I don't see any indication that he's making great strides this year.  Another case of taking the path of least resistance.

This wasn't a good line even on paper with everyone healthy.  Injuries are no excuse.

14 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Good for him...hope he is past this.

Absolutely, I'm just concerned about his future. If it takes him 2+ months to recover from a concussion what happens if/when he suffers another one. 

There was no obvious play in which he suffered a concussion. So what happens if he self reports another injury, could it force him to retire?

Very interested to see how this plays out.

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Absolutely, I'm just concerned about his future. If it takes him 2+ months to recover from a concussion what happens if/when he suffers another one. 

There was no obvious play in which he suffered a concussion. So what happens if he self reports another injury, could it force him to retire?

Very interested to see how this plays out.

Yeah, same here.  There's no dead money after this year from what I'm reading.  He's missed a lot of games though so they'll probably sign him to an extension.  No ninja.

14 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah, same here.  There's no dead money after this year from what I'm reading.  He's missed a lot of games though so they'll probably sign him to an extension.  No ninja.

I imagine if he sustains another concussion the Bengals would let him go after the year is over. He would cost $9.5 mil to bring back next year. 

When  he is healthy he is probably our best lineman until Jonah proves otherwise. 

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

I know.  More an indictment of our other lineman besides Hopkins. 

Yeah, he's actually looked fairly decent considering.  He's not dominating or anything but I haven't seen him rolling around on his back like an overturned tortoise all game, which is something.  IDK that he's a long-term answer yet but at least there's one spot on the OL that's not a total disaster. 

Archived