The curious case of Cordy Glenn

The Bengals are going to come out smelling like the bad guys on this one but, I'm starting to believe this is all about Cordy Glenn. His replacement gets drafted and suddenly he self reports a concussion. Then he's out 8 weeks. The Bengals didn't just clear him, he was cleared by an Independent Neurological Consultant and he's still complaining they rushed him back. As dumb as the Bengals can be, I have to think they had pretty strong evidence he was ready to get to the point of fining him $200,000. I think this asshole just didn't want to come back for a throw away season and wanted to collect a paycheck. This isn't the first time Cordy Glenn has been put under the microscope for slow playing a return from injury. Same thing happened on the Bills with a foot injury a few years back.  At this point, trade his tubby ass down the line for the best draft pick you can get and move on. 

40 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

The Bengals are going to come out smelling like the bad guys on this one but, I'm starting to believe this is all about Cordy Glenn. His replacement gets drafted and suddenly he self reports a concussion. Then he's out 8 weeks. The Bengals didn't just clear him, he was cleared by an Independent Neurological Consultant and he's still complaining they rushed him back. As dumb as the Bengals can be, I have to think they had pretty strong evidence he was ready to get to the point of fining him $200,000. I think this asshole just didn't want to come back for a throw away season and wanted to collect a paycheck. This isn't the first time Cordy Glenn has been put under the microscope for slow playing a return from injury. Same thing happened on the Bills with a foot injury a few years back.  At this point, trade his tubby ass down the line for the best draft pick you can get and move on. 

Now we know why the Bills dumped his ass for whatever they could get.

40 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

But who would want his fat ass being out of football shape and a problem at this point? This really sucks.

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

I have my doubts that Turner had much to do with Bobby Hart being signed given he never saw Hart practice once and I can't find anything that would indicate they had any type of relationship.  1 guy retired due to blood clots and never spent time with Turner.   That said I didn't like Turner being brought here but I don't think any of this is his doing. 

And as I have said before and took heat for it, Buffalo had just signed Glenn to a new contract the year before and then basically gave him to the Bengals.  No team does that with a good player playing a position very hard to replace that is already under contract unless there is something else going on.   They had plenty of cap space to keep him and did not have a better replacement.

They had drafted Dion Dawkins the year before their trade with us. He played well for them and showed he could play the left side for 9 mil less than Glenn. They were also trying to trade up for a QB so they were happy to jump 9 spots for a guy they might have cut. 

12 minutes ago, Jupiter Fan said:

But who would want his fat ass being out of football shape and a problem at this point? This really sucks.

Meh. Nothing has fundamentally changed here. He's not playing football the same as last week.  It's just a bunch more drama that hopefully forces the team to move on and invest in someone that can play.  Like I said, maybe this is their sign to stop putzing around with injury-prone discounts.

Or they just draft a new QB and ride that wave instead.

17 hours ago, SF2 said:

And as I have said before and took heat for it, Buffalo had just signed Glenn to a new contract the year before and then basically gave him to the Bengals.  No team does that with a good player playing a position very hard to replace that is already under contract unless there is something else going on.   They had plenty of cap space to keep him and did not have a better replacement.

I believe this to be spot on. The only way the Bengals could be at fault here is not realizing that it was too good to be true.

Looking back on it now, why in the world would anyone give up a gifted left tackle for next to nothing. At the time, we all believed it was from a recent slate of injuries. Looks now like it goes deeper than that and the Bills already knew what we are just finding out. Glenn wants to ride the rehab train and collect paychecks.

I don't think we'll ever see him take another snap for us.

I can't see that anyone would be dumb enough to trade anything for this guy now.

Terrific............:45:

14 hours ago, sparky151 said:

They had drafted Dion Dawkins the year before their trade with us. He played well for them and showed he could play the left side for 9 mil less than Glenn. They were also trying to trade up for a QB so they were happy to jump 9 spots for a guy they might have cut. 

Dawkins isnt nearly as good as a healthy Glenn and was drafted to play guard.  Glenn was handed to the Bengals because he couldn’t stay healthy.  The Bengals took over his contract because they are the Bengals. 

So let me see if I have this correct.....back in 2015 they didnt think Andrew Whitworth was worth a multiyear contract so the Bengals plan was to use their 1st and 2nd round picks on 2 tackles who sucked and are long gone and then make a deal with the Bills to drop 10 spots in the 1st round of the 2018 draft and take on Cordy Glenn and his nagging injuries plus his remaining $30 million salary and then use another 1st round pick for a tackle in 2019.

My bad, I forgot the Bengals did get that 5th round comp pick for letting Whit walk in free agency.

That Bengals FO is sure a smart bunch.......

11 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

So let me see if I have this correct.....back in 2015 they didnt think Andrew Whitworth was worth a multiyear contract so the Bengals plan was to use their 1st and 2nd round picks on 2 tackles who sucked and are long gone and then make a deal with the Bills to drop 10 spots in the 1st round of the 2018 draft and take on Cordy Glenn and his nagging injuries plus his remaining $30 million salary and then use another 1st round pick for a tackle in 2019.

My bad, I forgot the Bengals did get that 5th round comp pick for letting Whit walk in free agency.

It was a comp pick, which is basically the most valuable thing in the universe. But seriously though how could the Bengals have known that Whit would still be playing at a high level, it's not like he was coming off Pro Bowl and All Pro seasons....oh wait, he was...

At least the front office saved a few million dollars by not re-signing Whit, score one for the cheap guys!!!

53 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Dawkins isnt nearly as good as a healthy Glenn and was drafted to play guard.  Glenn was handed to the Bengals because he couldn’t stay healthy.  The Bengals took over his contract because they are the Bengals. 

Ah, you take your shots. The Bengals really didn't give them a lot. He was a proven commodity--"injuries" aside--and they needed to do something since both drafted tackles bombed. 

And boy howdy, how the compassion and sensitivity for a "concussed athlete" turns to utter venom once the media starts putting out "trouble in paradise" trial balloons.   

Just now, Le Tigre said:

Ah, you take your shots. The Bengals really didn't give them a lot. He was a proven commodity--"injuries" aside--and they needed to do something since both drafted tackles bombed. 

And boy howdy, how the compassion and sensitivity for a "concussed athlete" turns to utter venom once the media starts putting out "trouble in paradise" trial balloons.   

I am not taking shots, he had injury issues (fact) and the Bills didn’t want to pay his salary after missing so many games in 2 seasons.  The Bengals rolled the dice on him and crapped out.   Now the guy wants out because he is mad at the way his injury has been handled.  Nothing I just stated was my opinion. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bengals-suspend-cordy-glenn-one-150853675.html

Sports

Bengals suspend Cordy Glenn for one game

Three days ago, Bengals tackle Cordy Glenn was cleared to return to practice. Today, he won’t be practicing.

The Bengals have announced that Glenn has been suspended one game. He won’t play on Sunday against the Jaguars.

Here’s the full text of the press release: “The Bengals today suspended OT Cordy Glenn for one game for internal disciplinary reasons. Glenn, who has been placed on the Reserve/Suspended by Club list, will not count against the team’s 53-player roster while serving the suspension. The Bengals will have no further comment regarding the suspension.”

On Wednesday, Glenn’s first day at practice since suffering a preseason concussion, tempers flared between Glenn and a member of the coaching staff. Previously, the Bengals had fined Glenn $200,000 for conduct detrimental to the team.

The problems between Glenn and the Bengals relate to the handling of his concussion, with tension regarding whether he was truly ready to return. That tension has become something more troubling for the team, which would be wise at this point to consider fielding trade offers for Glenn.

25 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bengals-suspend-cordy-glenn-one-150853675.html

Sports

Bengals suspend Cordy Glenn for one game

Three days ago, Bengals tackle Cordy Glenn was cleared to return to practice. Today, he won’t be practicing.

The Bengals have announced that Glenn has been suspended one game. He won’t play on Sunday against the Jaguars.

Here’s the full text of the press release: “The Bengals today suspended OT Cordy Glenn for one game for internal disciplinary reasons. Glenn, who has been placed on the Reserve/Suspended by Club list, will not count against the team’s 53-player roster while serving the suspension. The Bengals will have no further comment regarding the suspension.”

On Wednesday, Glenn’s first day at practice since suffering a preseason concussion, tempers flared between Glenn and a member of the coaching staff. Previously, the Bengals had fined Glenn $200,000 for conduct detrimental to the team.

The problems between Glenn and the Bengals relate to the handling of his concussion, with tension regarding whether he was truly ready to return. That tension has become something more troubling for the team, which would be wise at this point to consider fielding trade offers for Glenn.

Does this mean he doesn't get paid?  

Otherwise :lmao:   What a total shitshow.   It's the classic "you can't fire me! I quit!" but in reverse.   This is the end result of years of hapless flailing by the Bengals FO.     It's entertaining even though I doubt they'll learn anything from it.  At worst Glenn is merely the agent parting the fool from his money.

4 hours ago, westside bengal said:

well....sure.....it sounds bad when you put it that way

:ninja:

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

I am not taking shots, he had injury issues (fact) and the Bills didn’t want to pay his salary after missing so many games in 2 seasons.  The Bengals rolled the dice on him and crapped out.   Now the guy wants out because he is mad at the way his injury has been handled.  Nothing I just stated was my opinion. 

Sorry, should have noted present company excepted. I have read here (and other places) where everyone (including me) were expressing concern and best wishes for his recovery--whether he played again or not. Now, I am seeing many (not you) calling him out as a fake/money-grabber/quitter/bad man. This was obviously not handled well inside the locker room--and seeing how Bully Boy is the probable main culprit--I would have told him to piss off also. Taylor, if he hasn't lost the battle of herding angry cats in that building by now, will soon be drowning in griping/quitting/general shenanigans.  

Rock bottom--just like 2002 and 1993 before that.     

Archived