The curious case of Cordy Glenn

17 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Replacing Pollack with Turner was a huge mistake. Taylor effectively linked the success of his career to Turner.

Well, at least the success of his first year of head coaching. He could change things up in the offseason, cut dead weight, get guys healthy and well coached by someone else and his whole career could take on a new light.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Replacing Pollack with Turner was a huge mistake. Taylor effectively linked the success of his career to Turner.

At the time I got the impression it was Pollack's decision but not sure where I picked that up.   It's been discussed before but there were a number of coaches that turned down jobs with ZT.  I see no reason to keep Turner or either of the OC/DC beyond redeeming more Good Boy Points.

3fc6dde7226ee73bf8a2529a2df228280fd4b27b

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

At the time I got the impression it was Pollack's decision but not sure where I picked that up.   It's been discussed before but there were a number of coaches that turned down jobs with ZT.

Jack Del Rio in particular didn't want to work with Zac.

The "It wasn't a good fit" quote from JDR, spoke volumes.

A red flag should have went up when no bonafide coaches didn't want to work with Zac

40 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

A red flag should have went up when no bonafide coaches wanted to work with Zac

I wonder how much of that was Zac and how much was Ol' Musty & the organization as a whole?   Fox, JDR, Pollock & whoever else had options, Fox in particular is friends with Marvin IIRC so he knows just how deep the shit runs.  The only way Turner was getting back in the pros was through some Redeeming.  Anarumo wasn't exactly the top of anyone's list, IDK about Callahan but at least that's a name I'd heard before.  Not sure what rep he had but his offense here surely isn't helping it any.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I wonder how much of that was Zac and how much was Ol' Musty & the organization as a whole?   Fox, JDR, Pollock & whoever else had options, Fox in particular is friends with Marvin IIRC so he knows just how deep the shit runs.  The only way Turner was getting back in the pros was through some Redeeming.  Anarumo wasn't exactly the top of anyone's list, IDK about Callahan but at least that's a name I'd heard before.  Not sure what rep he had but his offense here surely isn't helping it any.

His family has an auto parts business out of Sandusky, his cousin Tommy had an epic road trip to save the company. They made a documentary of his efforts called Tommy Boy, it won the 2003 Lincoln Heights Film Festival best doc award.

17 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

His family has an auto parts business out of Sandusky, his cousin Tommy had an epic road trip to save the company. They made a documentary of his efforts called Tommy Boy, it won the 2003 Lincoln Heights Film Festival best doc award.

I don't believe you but I choose to accept that anyway.

b3e2e0_4d7d1d46779d423ebf5828dd7587b9b9f

3 hours ago, SmoothD said:

A red flag should have went up when no bonafide coaches didn't want to work with Zac

I thought I remembered it to be the reverse.

Del Rio wanted the job and likely would have accepted if offered, according to sources, but Taylor’s call was that Del Rio, the former head coach of the Jaguars and Raiders, would not be the right fit for the position.

HMMM.

3 hours ago, kennethmw said:

I thought I remembered it to be the reverse.

Del Rio wanted the job and likely would have accepted if offered, according to sources, but Taylor’s call was that Del Rio, the former head coach of the Jaguars and Raiders, would not be the right fit for the position.

HMMM.

Yeah, this makes more sense. A new young coach with little experience would be intimidated by a guy who played in 160 games and was the head coach in over 190. Del Rio is only 56 so it’s not like having 72 year old Wade Phillips as you D Coordinator. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, this makes more sense. A new young coach with little experience would be intimidated by a guy who played in 160 games and was the head coach in over 190. Del Rio is only 56 so it’s not like having 72 year old Wade Phillips as you D Coordinator. 

Del Rio didn't want to scout. That's why he didn't come. 

5 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

Speaking of Cordy Glenn...Hobs article and the local news both reporting that he's starting at LT on Sunday?  I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

I can’t believe I’m tweeting this, but according to Zac Taylor, Cordy Glenn is going to get work at tackle and there is a lot of hope he will start at LT on Sunday.

***Probably a plus and encouraged by Jimmy John's play last week.

Wouldn't doubt if that's what forced it. HSH

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I wonder if he was told to start Glenn, because he seemed determined to not start this guy.

Looking at it from the Front Office point of view, we might be able to get something for the guy next year if he plays a few games this year and does decent.  If he sits the entire year I doubt teams are going to want to give up much and the explanation as to why they didn't play him the ENTIRE year would be what?  He was mean to one of our coaches?

10 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Del Rio didn't want to scout. That's why he didn't come. 

Do you have proof of this?  Only thing I ever read was they both (Del Rio and Taylor) decided it wasn't a good fit, whatever the hell that means.   If what you say is true then the Bengals are the ultimate circus clown of an organization.  Spend $800k on a competent d coordinator but demand he is a scout?  Asinine.  How about you spend another $200k on 2 decent scouts?  Nah, then every time they call out for lunch it would cost an extra $20. 

50 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Looking at it from the Front Office point of view, we might be able to get something for the guy next year if he plays a few games this year and does decent.  If he sits the entire year I doubt teams are going to want to give up much and the explanation as to why they didn't play him the ENTIRE year would be what?  He was mean to one of our coaches?

Especially since that coach is a documented jack ass, Taylor blames Glenn for his failures and wants to make him suffer by watching the Bengals get destroyed on a weekly basis. 

I feel like benching Glenn even though he's practicing is hurting Taylor way more than it's affecting Glenn.

11 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Especially since that coach is a documented jack ass, Taylor blames Glenn for his failures and wants to make him suffer by watching the Bengals get destroyed on a weekly basis. 

I feel like benching Glenn even though he's practicing is hurting Taylor way more than it's affecting Glenn.

I can only hope they scrape both of these barnacles off the hull come spring.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Do you have proof of this?  Only thing I ever read was they both (Del Rio and Taylor) decided it wasn't a good fit, whatever the hell that means.   If what you say is true then the Bengals are the ultimate circus clown of an organization.  Spend $800k on a competent d coordinator but demand he is a scout?  Asinine.  How about you spend another $200k on 2 decent scouts?  Nah, then every time they call out for lunch it would cost an extra $20. 

Came from a person who is paid to cover the team

36 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

If starting Glenn is a path to trading him that'd be great but it's hard to find a bigger mark than Ol' Musty.  

Looks like Cordy is owed close to 10 million bucks next year.  Hard to imagine someone taking on that debt.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cordy-glenn-9851/

10 million for an average LT isn't a bad deal, that would make him one of the 15-20 highest paid players in the NFL.

He would have no cap hit if cut so a team could trade for him and cut him with no dead money if it doesn't work out.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

10 million for an average LT isn't a bad deal, that would make him one of the 15-20 highest paid players in the NFL.

He would have no cap hit if cut so a team could trade for him and cut him with no dead money if it doesn't work out.

Good point..  If that's the case I see why they want to know if he can get back out there.   Better to keep him around until Williams shows something.  Is the roster bonus due at final cuts or before?

Archived