Tradable Assets?

With this season effectively being over, I think a lot of people believe it's time to rebuild from the ground up (no, this doesn't include the front office unfortunately).  With that being said, what assets do we have that could net us the most value?

Here are my thoughts:

1. AJ Green.  There are reports out there that we COULD get a 1st rounder for him, but a 2nd is a little more realistic, IMO.  While I hate the thought of trading him, we're not winning a Super Bowl while he's on the roster so why not use his value to help rebuild?

2.  Andy Dalton.  I think we could trade him for a 2nd or 3rd IF a playoff contender has a major injury at the position before the trade deadline.  Outside of that, I'm not sure Andy has much value on the trade market at this point.  The only team(s) that I think would have interest TODAY would be Tennessee and Chicago.  I think all of the other teams have better QB situations than us at the moment as crazy as that may sound.  Miami is in line to draft a QB, but currently have Fitz and Rosen, Pittsburgh is in trouble, but Ben may be back next year.  Jax looks to have a serviceable situation and they're winning games with "The Stash".  Minnesota Kirk Cousins = Andy Dalton. 

3.  Geno.  He just got a new contract, but most teams would take Geno is a heartbeat.  He's not as dominate as he used to be, but he's still really good.  I think we could get a 3rd or 4th for him considering his age and contract.   

4.  Gio.  I love Gio, but I hate his new contract.  The 10th highest paid RB and we don't even use him.  I think the contract hurts his value, but he doesn't have the typical wear and tear of a RB his age since we haven't and don't use him as a major part of our offense.  I'd love to trade him for cap management reasons, but I don't see us getting any more than a 5th for him. 

Is there anyone else on the team that has any value?

Dunlap.

WJIII.

Dre.

Eifert.

All of those have varying bits of value. This team SHOULD trade everyone it can for as much draft capital as it can get, but they won't.  At least if they did that, that would be a plan. Now? They just drift along. Fanbase knows. This franchise is dead in Cincinnati if the front office doesn't do a massive re-set to give people a reason to take any kind of interest. And we all know the front office won't do that. Just a death march to franchise relocation from here. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I’m not trading Green or Atkins unless someone really knocks my socks off. Anyone else is available. They are potential Hall of Fame players and I want them to be career Bengals. 

Green needs a least 4 good years before he sniffs HOF.  Atkins might get the Kenny Anderson treatment at this rate. 

Seeing reports that the Patriots are interested in either AJ or Emanual Sanders.

Really like AJ and would love to see him retire a Bengal but would trade him to the Patriots

for their first round choice (virtually a second rounder they will pick so low) to get AJ a ring.

Still really high on trading Geno and would take no lower than a second.

He could be a real force on a Super Bowl contending team.

I would trade Andy to the Stealers because they are so hurting for a quarterback.

Would be interesting to see what they came up with and a mid season trade to a rival

would be unheard of.  Wonder what they would offer for Kirkpatrick?  Or wonder what

anyone would offer for Kirkpatrick?

58 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Seeing reports that the Patriots are interested in either AJ or Emanual Sanders.

Really like AJ and would love to see him retire a Bengal but would trade him to the Patriots

for their first round choice (virtually a second rounder they will pick so low) to get AJ a ring.

I would trade Andy to the Stealers because they are so hurting for a quarterback.

Would be interesting to see what they came up with and a mid season trade to a rival

would be unheard of.  Wonder what they would offer for Kirkpatrick?  Or wonder what

Id give a 4th for kirk if i was drafting in middle of the round...

Green to NE for first is a good one..

Geno....

Hiw bout the Rams first pick??

Geno and Aaron togetger!

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Id give a 4th for kirk if i was drafting in middle of the round...

Green to NE for first is a good one..

Geno....

Hiw bout the Rams first pick??

Geno and Aaron togetger!

The Rams have ZERO cap space.  3rd to last to be exact.  They would have to dump $12 mil in salary to take over Geno's contract right now. 

9 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

The idea would be to make cap space for Geno.no?

Id do it to have Aaron and Geno together!

If we are talking NEXT season sure but the Rams have already swung for the fences and will find themselves in cap hell next year.   I am sure they are banking on Whit retiring though.   If we are talking this trade deadline it won't happen although I never expected it to.   Green is the only person in play before the trade deadline based solely on his current contract.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I’m not trading Green or Atkins unless someone really knocks my socks off. Anyone else is available. They are potential Hall of Fame players and I want them to be career Bengals. 

What qualifies as "knocks your socks off" for each?  Would you turn down just a good deal to have them retire here and potentially sacrifice the team's success/potential?

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Right on.  I would trade Green for a 1st.  Maybe a high 2nd and another pick.  Geno and Dunlap are definitely worth a decent haul.  I did think it might be hard to trade Andy until the off season but with QB injuries maybe someone will make a bigger offer now.  If no one makes a good offer for Andy now I would shelve him to see what Findley and Dongleboy have.   Eifert's seems to be holding up and his contract is cheap plus he is FA after the season so a contender might want to rent him till season end.  The Bengals have other talent like Gio they could shed.

My biggest decision would be how much the Bengals would offer a team to take Dre and his contract off the their hands.   

12 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Right on.  I would trade Green for a 1st.  Maybe a high 2nd and another pick.  Geno and Dunlap are definitely worth a decent haul.  I did think it might be hard to trade Andy until the off season but with QB injuries maybe someone will make a bigger offer now.  If no one makes a good offer for Andy now I would shelve him to see what Findley and Dongleboy have.   Eifert's seems to be holding up and his contract is cheap plus he is FA after the season so a contender might want to rent him till season end.  The Bengals have other talent like Gio they could shed.

My biggest decision would be how much the Bengals would offer a team to take Dre and his contract off the their hands.   

I think Andy would be harder to trade in the off season.  During the off season QBs are healthy and there aren't too many starters that Andy would be an upgrade over.  For the couple of starters that Andy would be an upgrade over, they're looking at drafting a QB.  I think our best bet to trade Andy is if a contending team loses their QB before the trading deadline.

I didn't think about Eifert.  I would think we'd only get a 4 for him, but who knows??

3 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

At this point, I'd be open to trading Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap or almost any other veteran player. Mixon, Boyd and Jackson are three of the only players I'd be hesitant to move. As for Kirkpatrick...one of the dumbest contracts they've ever signed.

That's for sure.  I think the Brown Family Trust is just plain lazy.  

To be honest, a few O-lineman and linebackers and the team is a borderline wildcard team again.  Borderline meaning we make it but have no real chance of doing much.   The question you need to ask is "Is that good enough for this franchise?"

And shit can the 4-2-5 base defense which is stupid.

I’m basically voting for a fire sale at this point. We need young players and draft picks. We have some good pieces, so they won’t all be sent packing, but we need enough picks to roll the damned dice again on oline. We probably need to spend at least a first and third there, barring a decent acquisition.

I'm open to them making trades, but I'd most hesitant in trading Green.  Not for nostalgic or even talent reasons, but for leadership.  The Bengals have been and could easily again be what the Browns are now - a bunch of young a-holes running the asylum with nobody calling them on their shit, and the entire team underachieving because of it.  IMO we were very lucky to have guys like Whitworth around when we rebuilt in 2010/2011.  Getting rid of all those types of guys is a big risk, and without a coach who has proven he himself can keep everyone in line, to me it's a risk not worth taking.  To put a label on it, I think you need "transitional leadership" in a rebuild situation, or you'll just be on a perpetual rebuild - again, just like the Browns.

42 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I'm open to them making trades, but I'd most hesitant in trading Green.  Not for nostalgic or even talent reasons, but for leadership.  The Bengals have been and could easily again be what the Browns are now - a bunch of young a-holes running the asylum with nobody calling them on their shit, and the entire team underachieving because of it.  IMO we were very lucky to have guys like Whitworth around when we rebuilt in 2010/2011.  Getting rid of all those types of guys is a big risk, and without a coach who has proven he himself can keep everyone in line, to me it's a risk not worth taking.  To put a label on it, I think you need "transitional leadership" in a rebuild situation, or you'll just be on a perpetual rebuild - again, just like the Browns.

I agree. I think completely overhauling the coaching staff with guys who had no experience in their new jobs wasn’t the best idea.  Gutting the team would have a similar effect. 

I'd trade Dre for a bag of dried spinach, (and I hate spinach). I'm not high on getting rid of Green, but if the value is there, then yes. The same constant would be whom is making the extra picks we would have. I don't have confidence that they would get it right, or let Taylor pick the guys he feels he needs to fit into whatever system he wants to run here.  Big Lou either needs to change up is stupid 2 LB system, or take that nightmare somewhere else. we should be running a 3-4 and 4-3 Defense. with the DL that we have, I feel that is a better fit. We just need LB that can cover and tackle.

so we trade all our good/ decent players for draft picks.. lets think about that with the best possible trade...

AJ for a 1st - with aj healthy (i know its a push) we're probably 2-2 even with this horrible Oline. 

Andy for a 2nd - good trade but who plays qb in the future a rookie? i'd rather keep him and let finley sit for a year )if possible behind this line)

Geno for a 3rd- no i dont care what he costs (not to meantion a 7-14mil dead cap hit if traded) you wont replace his disruption with a 3rd and they'll claim the cant sign anyone due to the cap situation . 

Gio for a 5th- his hit is probably around 3-3.5 mil after this year, maybe high average but honestly he does actually deserve it .  id probably keep him over a 5th.

biggest question to ask is even if we end up with a bunch of great draft picks. based on past drafts these players are the nuts our blind squirrel (soP) found. do you think they will actually find more? or most likely more average players that we normally draft?  

22 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

so we trade all our good/ decent players for draft picks.. lets think about that with the best possible trade...

AJ for a 1st - with aj healthy (i know its a push) we're probably 2-2 even with this horrible Oline. 

Andy for a 2nd - good trade but who plays qb in the future a rookie? i'd rather keep him and let finley sit for a year )if possible behind this line)

Geno for a 3rd- no i dont care what he costs (not to meantion a 7-14mil dead cap hit if traded) you wont replace his disruption with a 3rd and they'll claim the cant sign anyone due to the cap situation . 

Gio for a 5th- his hit is probably around 3-3.5 mil after this year, maybe high average but honestly he does actually deserve it .  id probably keep him over a 5th.

biggest question to ask is even if we end up with a bunch of great draft picks. based on past drafts these players are the nuts our blind squirrel (soP) found. do you think they will actually find more? or most likely more average players that we normally draft?  

Keep them all. Borderline playoff team at best. Same group that has missed 3, soon to be 4 straight playoffs,  but hey, your logic is flawless.  This team, healthy, is a 7 to 9  win team at the absolute best.  If that is good enough for you so be it.

i just want AJ Green to break all of the Bengals passing records.  That would just as good as winning an AFC Championship. 

Archived