Tradable Assets?

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

This team, healthy, is a 7 to 9  win team at the absolute best.

I doubt that, but regardless I'm not willing to throw them that life preserver injury excuse when they consistently draft and then bring back injured players year after year.  Glenn for example was never an answer at LT & now he's making more money than Whitworth while we line up our 5th string guard at his position.  

So we should trade away what little talent this team has left & replace it with.. what exactly?

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I doubt that, but regardless I'm not willing to throw them that life preserver injury excuse when they consistently draft and then bring back injured players year after year.  Glenn for example was never an answer at LT & now he's making more money than Whitworth while we line up our 5th string guard at his position.  

So we should trade away what little talent this team has left & replace it with.. what exactly?

yeah..... but he's so much younger.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Draft picks, off course.

Who cares if there might not be adequate talent coming out in the draft to replace the guys we've traded away.

Just trade them because they are good and close to or slightly over 30 years old, the magical age where football players stop being able to compete at a high level.

Seriously though, this notion that the Bengals should trade AJ or Geno is just dumb, imo. The way the Bengals have drafted in the past few decades, I don't trust them to get replacements in the draft.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Understand I am in agreement with you. Green is really the only one I can see getting rid of but that won’t happen. My point is simply the team lacks even average NFL starter talent at way too many positions.  WR and RB seem like the easiest to fix.  Oline and LBs far more difficult.  

25 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Understand I am in agreement with you. Green is really the only one I can see getting rid of but that won’t happen. My point is simply the team lacks even average NFL starter talent at way too many positions.  WR and RB seem like the easiest to fix.  Oline and LBs far more difficult.  

No question they've dug themselves into one hell of a hole.  The bigger problem is a stubborn refusal to admit it,

On 10/11/2019 at 8:23 AM, PatternMaster said:

Draft picks, off course.

Who cares if there might not be adequate talent coming out in the draft to replace the guys we've traded away.

Just trade them because they are good and close to or slightly over 30 years old, the magical age where football players stop being able to compete at a high level.

Seriously though, this notion that the Bengals should trade AJ or Geno is just dumb, imo. The way the Bengals have drafted in the past few decades, I don't trust them to get replacements in the draft.

I think the question is, "Will the Bengals win a Superbowl with AJ and/or Geno"?  The answer is no.  It's not their fault, but why not trade them to TRY to make the team better?  Saying the same does us no good...at least trading them for draft capital there's a chance we hit the jackpot and compete for a championship.  My question to you is, what's the point of keeping AJ and Geno if someone were going to offer us premium picks?  If people are happy keeping our declining stars and going 4-12 every year, you're rooting for the right team.  #whodey #samedey 

8 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I think the question is, "Will the Bengals win a Superbowl with AJ and/or Geno"?  The answer is no.  It's not their fault, but why not trade them to TRY to make the team better?  Saying the same does us no good...at least trading them for draft capital there's a chance we hit the jackpot and compete for a championship.  My question to you is, what's the point of keeping AJ and Geno if someone were going to offer us premium picks?  If people are happy keeping our declining stars and going 4-12 every year, you're rooting for the right team.  #whodey #samedey 

They could win with AJ and Geno, if they got a better QB that can make plays when the game is on the line.

33 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

They could win with AJ and Geno, if they got a better QB that can make plays when the game is on the line.

Not behind this offensive line.  We've got one of the best RBs in the world and we can't get him going.  This is at least a two year rebuild.  AJ's been hurt 4 of the last 5 years and while Geno is still good, he's not making the plays he's used to making.  Let's say we get one of these QBs in this draft (Tua, Burrow or Herbert...I'm not even sure those guys are "it") as a rookie, we're not going to compete...WC birth at best.  THen in year two, AJ and Geno are two years older and probably not among the elite anymore, yet will most likely be paid like it.  Now we're wasting our salary cap while we have a good rookie QB contract.  Instead of being able to pay players to help the team with a rookie QB contact, we're trying paying Geno, Carlos and AJ...all of whom are well above 30.  Yes, they could all be good to great in their mid 30s, but history show there will be a falloff.  Maybe AJ or Geno stay great, but the odds of both of them playing at that level are slim.  At this point we don't know how/if AJ will play this year.  

1 minute ago, High School Harry said:

49ers appear to be for real or, at the very least, off to a great start amazing even themselves.

Playoff spot a virtual lock. 

Trading Geno Atkins to them for a first and hopefully more draft pick would be an excellent move for both teams.

But

image.thumb.png.181a004bbcbbc483e0d6d305936da0a9.png

They don’t need Geno Atkins but the Chiefs do.  

With AJ's recent injury history and the fact he is halfway thru is walk year, I think they'd gave a hard time getting a 2nd (much less a 1st) and anything less ain't worth it.

Dalton?  Can't see him as having much, if any value left.  Unless somebody is REALLY hard-up for a QB (Hue doesn't have an HC gig) they'd probably have to give somebody a 3rd just to take him off their hands.

Pretty hard on the guy, but that is what happens when QB-Save-Us-Fever takes over. Begets this irrational hatred of the former hope-for, and reduces any qualities they had down to waste bin rubbish. Old enough to remember the same thing falling on Norman, and even now-sainted Kenny. 

20 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Pretty hard on the guy, but that is what happens when QB-Save-Us-Fever takes over. Begets this irrational hatred of the former hope-for, and reduces any qualities they had down to waste bin rubbish. Old enough to remember the same thing falling on Norman, and even now-sainted Kenny. 

Pretty much spot on. At the same time if the Bengals are in a position to get Tua or Fields they can’t pass it up. Possible franchise QB on a rookie deal.

In case nobody in noticing the Rams are going all in this year to win. They know the window closes soon when Goff must be signed, Whit replaced and Gurley’s knee crumbles. Just traded away picks for Jalen Ramsey. 

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Pretty much spot on. At the same time if the Bengals are in a position to get Tua or Fields they can’t pass it up. Possible franchise QB on a rookie deal. In case nobody in noticing the Rams are going all in this year to win. They know the window closes soon when Goff must be signed, Whit replaced and Gurley’s knee crumbles. 

I was going to comment along these same lines.

Only from the Jaguars point of view.

They know they are going nowhere this year even though they are

in better shape than the Bengals.

But rather than stay pat and watch their players drop like flies going to IR

they made a deal that will amp up their draft board next Spring.

That is what I think the Bengals should do and their most tradable asset is

Geno Atkins who plays in a position where we are deep, the defensive line,

and deep with young players

Yeah, Charlie don't surf and the Bengals don't trade but MikeandKatie

are going to have to do something to get people in the seats and even more so

from M&K's perspective, do something preemptive to stop at least some of the

bleeding for 2020 season ticket sales.

They once shocked the locals to trade up from the 5th pick to the 1st to take

Ki-Jana Carter.  Without the injury who knows how that would have affected

the future of the team but of topic and neither here nor there.

The point being Mike wanted to do something to jolt the fan base.

So what I am saying is the precedent is there so I would love to see them

pull the trigger.

Dumpster diving for Bed Head Fred and a guy like B.M. Webb simply isn't going to do it.

The team is going nowhere with Geno and I don't think he will do much for us next now

that he is aging.  Trading Geno for a 1st round pick, which I think he is worth, that we turn

into a new O lineman or real Linebacker next year makes sense to me.

Off the soap box.  Getting dizzy up here and have a nose bleed.

I don’t think Geno isworth a 1st at this point IMHO.   D tackle is not a high dollar position and other than Donald, very few really impact a game.  

It is a position that does not age well and has far less impact than a dominant defensive end, edge or linebacker when discussing the front 7. 

Geno’s numbers have dropped off considerably and he is on the wrong side of his career.  Certainly plenty of teams would like him but he isn’t a difference maker like Jalen Ramsey or a Bosa type so I can’t see giving up a #1

11 hours ago, snarkster said:

With AJ's recent injury history and the fact he is halfway thru is walk year, I think they'd gave a hard time getting a 2nd (much less a 1st) and anything less ain't worth it.

Dalton?  Can't see him as having much, if any value left.  Unless somebody is REALLY hard-up for a QB (Hue doesn't have an HC gig) they'd probably have to give somebody a 3rd just to take him off their hands.

They have already overpaid for Gio, Dunlap and Geno so i expect they will do the same for AJ. Dalton they will probably let walk. 

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Yes, which is why i think he will want a new model to play with. 

& why not?   Everyone gets excited and you don't have to spend the money replacing an entire OL.  Then in a few years when everyone decides that QB sucks too, you simply draft another one.    

Archived