Tradable Assets?

12 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I was going to comment along these same lines.

Only from the Jaguars point of view.

They know they are going nowhere this year even though they are

in better shape than the Bengals.

But rather than stay pat and watch their players drop like flies going to IR

they made a deal that will amp up their draft board next Spring.

That is what I think the Bengals should do and their most tradable asset is

Geno Atkins who plays in a position where we are deep, the defensive line,

and deep with young players

Yeah, Charlie don't surf and the Bengals don't trade but MikeandKatie

are going to have to do something to get people in the seats and even more so

from M&K's perspective, do something preemptive to stop at least some of the

bleeding for 2020 season ticket sales.

They once shocked the locals to trade up from the 5th pick to the 1st to take

Ki-Jana Carter.  Without the injury who knows how that would have affected

the future of the team but of topic and neither here nor there.

The point being Mike wanted to do something to jolt the fan base.

So what I am saying is the precedent is there so I would love to see them

pull the trigger.

Dumpster diving for Bed Head Fred and a guy like B.M. Webb simply isn't going to do it.

The team is going nowhere with Geno and I don't think he will do much for us next now

that he is aging.  Trading Geno for a 1st round pick, which I think he is worth, that we turn

into a new O lineman or real Linebacker next year makes sense to me.

Off the soap box.  Getting dizzy up here and have a nose bleed.

Sounds great but even Mikey knows it takes 2 to trade but if the Bengals get a first round pick offer for Geno they would be insane to pass.

I just don't see any team willing to do it. Same thoughts on AJ.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/17/nfl-trade-deadline-bengals-sellers-aj-green-tyler-eifert/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

Interesting article from Bengals Wire with a few new names.

Players mentioned:

Tyler Eifert

Carlos Dunlap

Dre Kirkpatrick

Billy Price

A.J. Green

Andy Dalton

No Geno

Carlos and Billy are surprises to me.

I can see Billy gong elsewhere and to the Pro Bowl.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/17/nfl-trade-deadline-bengals-sellers-aj-green-tyler-eifert/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

Interesting article from Bengals Wire with a few new names.

Players mentioned:

Tyler Eifert

Carlos Dunlap

Dre Kirkpatrick

Billy Price

A.J. Green

Andy Dalton

No Geno

Carlos and Billy are surprises to me.

I can see Billy gong elsewhere and to the Pro Bowl.

surprises me a little, but really, almost nobody should be off limits..

and that shit wouldn't surprise me at all.

22 hours ago, fluhartz said:

Unfortunately, I agree. As awesome as Geno is (and I still think he is), I don't see them getting a 1st.

If they can though....take it

And again it is not that Geno isn't a great player, just that his position in today's NFL is not of high value.  There are 15 DTs in the Hall of Fame, only 4 of them are modern players (1980 plus).  DTs were very important when teams ran the ball way more.   Other than Geno if he has a few more good seasons, there isn't a large waiting list of future HOF players for the DT position

Defensive End is an entirely different story. There are 21 DEs in the HOF, 10 of them are modern era players.  Most of them get there for their sack numbers, pressures, QB hits and Tackles for loss.   If you look at guys who have recently retired and are still playing there are a bunch of future HOF at DE.  Add in the hybrid guys like Suggs and Mack who line up at the DE spot all the time on passing downs.  Teams want to pressure the QB, the best way to do it consistently is with a good edge rusher (DE) or linebacker lining up on the edge.

You only need to compare Atkins to Dunlap. Both have played the same number of years, Dunlap has more sacks, tackles and QB hits.  Dunlap is a good DE, Atkins has been the best DT over the last 10 years.   Its like having a great left back in soccer, it just isn't as valuable as having a very good striker like Harry Kane or Rahim Sterling. 

51 minutes ago, SF2 said:

And again it is not that Geno isn't a great player, just that his position in today's NFL is not of high value.  There are 15 DTs in the Hall of Fame, only 4 of them are modern players (1980 plus).  DTs were very important when teams ran the ball way more.   Other than Geno if he has a few more good seasons, there isn't a large waiting list of future HOF players for the DT position

Defensive End is an entirely different story. There are 21 DEs in the HOF, 10 of them are modern era players.  Most of them get there for their sack numbers, pressures, QB hits and Tackles for loss.   If you look at guys who have recently retired and are still playing there are a bunch of future HOF at DE.  Add in the hybrid guys like Suggs and Mack who line up at the DE spot all the time on passing downs.  Teams want to pressure the QB, the best way to do it consistently is with a good edge rusher (DE) or linebacker lining up on the edge.

You only need to compare Atkins to Dunlap. Both have played the same number of years, Dunlap has more sacks, tackles and QB hits.  Dunlap is a good DE, Atkins has been the best DT over the last 10 years.   Its like having a great left back in soccer, it just isn't as valuable as having a very good DIVER like Harry Kane or Rahim Sterling. 

fixt

Profootballtalk reports the Bengals and LT Cordy Glenn have disputed the severity of his concussion.

Per Mike Florio, the sides are at loggerheads "regarding the concussion, its symptoms, whether he’s able to return, the need for second opinions, and how the player feels." The Bengals have apparently fined Glenn $200,000 for conduct detrimental to the team, while things reportedly "got heated" Wednesday. Glenn apparently asked for his release. Much like Trent Williams in Washington, Glenn believes the Bengals have mishandled the situation. Although Glenn "resumed practicing" on Wednesday, it's pretty clear he won't be out there Sunday.

Listen, i think its just time to move on from AJ as well.  Im not saying i blame him at all for not wanting to suit up the remainder of this lost year for this lost franchise, but enough is enough.  AJ, who coming into this injury, was notoriously known as a "quick healer."  All of a sudden its weeks past the deadline and he still  has "a ways to go."  Just move him for whatever you can get at this point or he is going to walk for nothing.  Its a lost cause.  What a completely botched season from the injuries to the side shit shows that have come from them.  What a way to start your tenure if your Zac Taylor.    

51 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Profootballtalk reports the Bengals and LT Cordy Glenn have disputed the severity of his concussion.

Per Mike Florio, the sides are at loggerheads "regarding the concussion, its symptoms, whether he’s able to return, the need for second opinions, and how the player feels." The Bengals have apparently fined Glenn $200,000 for conduct detrimental to the team, while things reportedly "got heated" Wednesday. Glenn apparently asked for his release. Much like Trent Williams in Washington, Glenn believes the Bengals have mishandled the situation. Although Glenn "resumed practicing" on Wednesday, it's pretty clear he won't be out there Sunday.

Listen, i think its just time to move on from AJ as well.  Im not saying i blame him at all for not wanting to suit up the remainder of this lost year for this lost franchise, but enough is enough.  AJ, who coming into this injury, was notoriously known as a "quick healer."  All of a sudden its weeks past the deadline and he still  has "a ways to go."  Just move him for whatever you can get at this point or he is going to walk for nothing.  Its a lost cause.  What a completely botched season from the injuries to the side shit shows that have come from them.  What a way to start your tenure if your Zac Taylor.    

They have mishandled it?  Trent Williams isn't getting paid a dime since he is healthy and refusing to play.  Glenn has been paid $4,812,500 thus far this season due to his concussion.  

Since he is now practicing the SMART move would be to find someone to trade him to like NOW.  No way in hell you release him before the deadline if you can get something for him.  If they can't find a dance partner by the trade deadline,  release him.  This ship has sailed and there is NO way the Bengals should let him risk getting another concussion and having to pay him the additional $4,531,250 as per the CBA.

21 minutes ago, SF2 said:

They have mishandled it?  Trent Williams isn't getting paid a dime since he is healthy and refusing to play.  Glenn has been paid $4,812,500 thus far this season due to his concussion.  

Since he is now practicing the SMART move would be to find someone to trade him to like NOW.  No way in hell you release him before the deadline if you can get something for him.  If they can't find a dance partner by the trade deadline,  release him.  This ship has sailed and there is NO way the Bengals should let him risk getting another concussion and having to pay him the additional $4,531,250 as per the CBA.

My bad.  That was supposed to be a a copy and pasted blurb about AJ.  Here it is.  

A.J. Green admitted he still has "a little ways to go" in his rehab from offseason ankle surgery.

Translation: he won't be suiting against the Jags in Week 7. Green is making progress, though the Bengals continue to list him as a DNP on their practice report. It's a wonder the Bengals didn't simply stash him on injured reserve at the start of the year, though perhaps they didn't anticipate him being gone for this long. Tyler Boyd and Auden Tate will remain Andy Dalton's go-to targets Sunday against Jacksonville.

27 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

My bad.  That was supposed to be a a copy and pasted blurb about AJ.  Here it is.  

A.J. Green admitted he still has "a little ways to go" in his rehab from offseason ankle surgery.

Translation: he won't be suiting against the Jags in Week 7. Green is making progress, though the Bengals continue to list him as a DNP on their practice report. It's a wonder the Bengals didn't simply stash him on injured reserve at the start of the year, though perhaps they didn't anticipate him being gone for this long. Tyler Boyd and Auden Tate will remain Andy Dalton's go-to targets Sunday against Jacksonville.

Not saying AJ Green is a rat but nobody seems in much of a hurry to make it back on the field.

spacer.png

About Cordy Glenn... elsewhere in this thread someone said Lapham had suggested that

he was sandbagging.  Lapham is the designated leaker of information of the Brown family

on the Bengals.

Glenn should be forced to pay back every cent of his salary up to this point and cut.

Locker room poison and ripping of the fans who expected him to add something to

the team.

Archived