Zach Taylor??

I don't start too many topics, but does anyone else think the problem could be Taylor's system and the rest of the coaches? This team was 4-1 before the injury bug bit us last year with essentially the same personnel (minus AJ). Somehow, Mixon lead the AFC in rushing behind this line. I think we would have been a playoff team last year had it not been for the injuries. Taylor doesn't seem to be putting us in the right position. Put the QB in shotgun on 4th and inches? Who the fuck does that? Who made the decision to draft the TE out of Washington in the 2nd round? (Yeah, I can't even think of his name)  These guys look completely lost and unprepared out there. Their body language speaks volumes.  It reminds me of when Zampese couldn't do anything with the offense, and all of the sudden everything changed when Lazor took over. Last year's defense improved when Austin was fired.  This team has a legitimate shot at going 0-16. That has to be inexcusable. If that happens, I think you have to cut your losses with Taylor and not wait several years. I even think 3-13 should be inexcusable. I'm not sure this guy is ready to be an NFL HC. Even Marvin took a 2-14 team to 8-8 with Kitna and an atrocious defense.. Hubbard has essentially vanished, Lawson has essentially vanished, Bates has regressed, Jackson has regressed. WTF? It can't all be because there's no AJ.

I'm not defending Taylor, but the 4-1 start last year was not behind THIS line. Boling was here last year at LG and Glenn was at LT. Now they are down to the corpse of Andre Smith out of position out at LT and a 4th round rookie at LG. Not ideal. I do think Hart is on Taylor, because he and Turner REALLY wanted him back, but, this isn't really apples to apples this year to last. Not to mention Green being here last year at the start vs. now.

All that said, Taylor hasn't exactly been the boy wonder at covering flaws that I would have hoped. 

8 minutes ago, membengal said:

I'm not defending Taylor, but the 4-1 start last year was not behind THIS line. Boling was here last year at LG and Glenn was at LT. Now they are down to the corpse of Andre Smith out of position out at LT and a 4th round rookie at LG. Not ideal. I do think Hart is on Taylor, because he and Turner REALLY wanted him back, but, this isn't really apples to apples this year to last. Not to mention Green being here last year at the start vs. now.

All that said, Taylor hasn't exactly been the boy wonder at covering flaws that I would have hoped. 

Fair enough, but Glenn hasn't impressed me that much at all during his tenure. IIRC, wasn't he hurt last year also? I don't know how else you can explain the regression in some of these players. I think even MB may not be able to stomach 0-16.

The NFL is all about schemes and match ups.

Zac's offense doesn't fit our personnel.

And he doesn't make adjustments on the fly.

Mixon was killing them early, Vance made an adjustment, and Zac didn't.

If you know the line sucks, call more quick slants and bubble screens.

No more shotgun with one RB.

Especially on 4th and less than 1.

Lou's defense requires team speed, especially at the LB spot which we do not have.

They should NEVER EVER have WJII playing zone.

Bates is trying to do too much by covering up for the LBs mistakes.

Preston Brown is simply horrible and slow.

23 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The problem is we have Andre Smith who until this year had never played LT in the NFL starting at LT

I'm not completely sold on Taylor, but I'm not putting any blame on him until we have a complete roster either.

To be honest, Cordy Glenn looks like Anthony Munoz compared to Andre Smith at LT when he is healthy.  Smith should not be on an NFL roster.  In fact, when Terry replaced Smith yesterday at some point (Terry right?) the o line was quite a bit better. 

21 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The problem is we have Andre Smith who until this year had never played LT in the NFL starting at LT

I'm not completely sold on Taylor, but I'm not putting any blame on him until we have a complete roster either.

It can't be just Andre Smith, although brining him in reeks of a cheap signing. I wasn't putting blame on ZT either until I watched Sunday's game. This is big boy football and if a coach goes anywhere from 0-16-3-13, that should be it. No way this is only a 3-win team with boy wonder as HC. 

Just now, OneHeartBeat said:

It can't be just Andre Smith, although brining him in reeks of a cheap signing. I wasn't putting blame on ZT either until I watched Sunday's game. This is big boy football and if a coach goes anywhere from 0-16-3-13, that should be it. No way this is only a 3-win team with boy wonder as HC. 

Oh it's not JUST. When a team is this bad it's not just 1 thing. But the Oline is really really really bad. But yes, we have issues at LB and a young coach and a Dcoord that I am not sold on either.

9 minutes ago, BENGALS666 said:

Oh those wondrous 90's 0-whatever years ARE BACK! 

Now you young-n's gonna know what it's really like to be a Bengals fan!

And keep in mind yawl - "pickin' first" doesn't fix this shit...

Go Bengals!

Dave_Shula_sidelines_1496013087492_60329

Haha my god, that Starter apparel. What a throwback!

It's so hard to assess if this is Taylor/Coaching Staff or Talent. The offensive line is abysmal. It would have been interesting to see what it would have been like if Williams and Glenn were healthy and Boling didn't retire. This line is NOT of NFL caliber and seriously...what the fuck is wrong with Billy Price?!?

Equally as glaring is the weakest LB group in the NFL. Did they really think they could move forward with Preston Brown and Nick Vigil as starters? Good lord. There are so fucking terrible. Jordan Hicks would have been a perfect signing. As would Kwon Alexander. Heck, at least get CJ Mosley or Zach Brown. But...they got no one.

Throw in AJ Green not playing and now John Ross going down, these coaches haven't had the best start from a roster standpoint. 

Having said that, this team looks uninspired. Atkins and Dunlap are nearly unnoticeable. Carl Lawson? Where's he?!? Eifert and Uzomah? Underutilized. Gio Bernard? Is he still on the team? I gotta say, I am not hopeful about this team now or any time in the near future. Back to the 90's it may very well be.

2 hours ago, SmoothD said:

The NFL is all about schemes and match ups.

Zac's offense doesn't fit our personnel.

And he doesn't make adjustments on the fly.

Mixon was killing them early, Vance made an adjustment, and Zac didn't.

If you know the line sucks, call more quick slants and bubble screens.

No more shotgun with one RB.

Especially on 4th and less than 1.

Lou's defense requires team speed, especially at the LB spot which we do not have.

They should NEVER EVER have WJII playing zone.

Bates is trying to do too much by covering up for the LBs mistakes.

Preston Brown is simply horrible and slow.

Good analysis....

25 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

It's so hard to assess if this is Taylor/Coaching Staff or Talent. The offensive line is abysmal. It would have been interesting to see what it would have been like if Williams and Glenn were healthy and Boling didn't retire. This line is NOT of NFL caliber and seriously...what the fuck is wrong with Billy Price?!?

Equally as glaring is the weakest LB group in the NFL. Did they really think they could move forward with Preston Brown and Nick Vigil as starters? Good lord. There are so fucking terrible. Jordan Hicks would have been a perfect signing. As would Kwon Alexander. Heck, at least get CJ Mosley or Zach Brown. But...they got no one.

Throw in AJ Green not playing and now John Ross going down, these coaches haven't had the best start from a roster standpoint. 

Having said that, this team looks uninspired. Atkins and Dunlap are nearly unnoticeable. Carl Lawson? Where's he?!? Eifert and Uzomah? Underutilized. Gio Bernard? Is he still on the team? I gotta say, I am not hopeful about this team now or any time in the near future. Back to the 90's it may very well be.

The Billy Price situation is puzzling. This guy was a Rimington award winner and pretty dominant at his position at a big time program against pretty good competition. How could he possibly suck to the point he can't get any playing time on the worst line in the NFL?

27 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

The Billy Price situation is puzzling. This guy was a Rimington award winner and pretty dominant at his position at a big time program against pretty good competition. How could he possibly suck to the point he can't get any playing time on the worst line in the NFL?

I had a problem about Price and his arm length...less than 32 inches...

His foot hasnt healed completely imo.

Honestly dont know what to think if him now....

Not impressed in the least with anything Zac Taylor has done yet (but he does talk purdy, don't he? )....on the other hand, he's never been the head coach of anything at any level in his life, so to even be competitive with experienced NFL coaches is to his credit. And he's got Andy Dalton as a QB, who has played like a turd in the toilet, and you can't win with turds.

I believe I read somewhere Joe Gibbs started his NFL career off 0-5.......so there's that.

Archived