Jay Gruden fired

Gruden went to perhaps the only franchise run worse than the Bengals.  He managed a playoff season with Cousins as his QB.  Alex Smith was 6-4 last year until his leg was snapped in two.  Now he is asked to win games with Case Keenum, Colt McCoy and rookie Haskins as his QB.  

Gruden mailed it in after Smith went down, Guice went down 2X, he watched 1 month of Haskins trying to run plays and his Left Tackle saying, "fuck this circus act".   His leading rusher is Adrian Peterson who has 108 yards on 40 carries. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Gruden went to perhaps the only franchise worse run than the Bengals.  He managed a playoff season with Cousins as his QB.  Alex Smith was 6-4 last year until his leg was snapped in two.  Now he is asked to win games with Case Keenum, Colt McCoy and rookie Haskins as his QB.  

Gruden mailed it in after Smith went down, Guice went down 2X, he watched 1 month of Haskins trying to run plays and his Left Tackle saying, "fuck this circus act".   His leading rusher is Adrian Peterson who has 108 yards on 40 carries. 

Yup, article in The Athletic today noted that Washington will find a another HC but nothing will change for the team until the owner changes. Sounds familiar.....

18 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Yup, article in The Athletic today noted that Washington will find a another HC but nothing will change for the team until the owner changes. Sounds familiar.....

in Washington jay was handcuffed,and not allowed to do his job.if he did come back to Cincinnati, wouldn't he be walking into the same situation.

16 minutes ago, bigboi said:

in Washington jay was handcuffed,and not allowed to do his job.if he did come back to Cincinnati, wouldn't he be walking into the same situation.

I don't know how a HC can coexist with an owner if they completely oppose each other on the first round pick.  That is a big deal when you think about it.   Gruden wanted Daniel Jones but Snyder took Haskins. 

25 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Was it ML, MB, or both, who were on the Jay train when the idea of making him OC here took place? I don't recall. 

I always wondered who?  And I do not remember if it was ever said for sure but I probably missed it.  My thought was Tobin and Mikey rushed home to tell Marvin they just signed J. Gruden as OC thinking they had signed Jon.

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

I always wondered who?  And I do not remember if it was ever said for sure but I probably missed it.  My thought was Tobin and Mikey rushed home to tell Marvin they just signed J. Gruden as OC thinking they had signed Jon.

Well, the good thing was they didn't figure it out for 4 months until they saw Jon on TV announcing a game. 

22 hours ago, Shebengal said:

FWIW-they flashed a graphic last night during the Browns game showing the tenures of all the coaches since Snyder took over. Gruden lasted the longest of any of them with 5 years. 

And his list of longest tenured QBs during his ownership is the stuff of Canton Ohio. 

Kirk Cousins 4yrs,

Patrick Ramsey 3yrs,

Jason Campbell 3yrs,

Brad Johnson 2yrs,

Marc Brunell  2yrs,

Robert Griffen 2yrs. 

Throw in a few  single seasons by McNabb, Banks, Rex Grossman and 1/2 season for Smith and well, its not a secret what the problem is.

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

And his list of longest tenured QBs during his ownership is the stuff of Canton Ohio.  Kirk Cousins 4yrs, Patrick Ramsey 3yrs, Jason Campbell 3yrs, Brad Johnson 2yrs, Marc Brunell  2yrs, and Robert Griffen 2yrs.  Throw in a few  single seasons by McNabb, Banks, Rex Grossman and 1/2 season for Smith and well, its not a secret what the problem is.

More like the stuff of Cleveland Ohio, ugh. 

Washington has fired another coach in Jay Gruden, but one former player says the problem with the team is that you can’t fire the owner.

LaVar Arrington, a linebacker who was selected by Washington with the second overall pick in 2000, played there six years and later covered the team as a broadcaster, said on FS1 that Dan Snyder is to blame.

“The root of the issue is ownership,” Arrington said.

Arrington said the culture in Washington breeds players who resent Snyder.

“You’re told not to look the owner in the eyes,” Arrington said. “You had to address him as Mr. Snyder, even as an adult, and if you were not of a certain level or stature you were told not to look at the owner.”

Those details are a little hard to believe, but Arrington is far from alone in thinking that Snyder himself is the real reason that Washington has won only one playoff game since he bought the team.

Just like the Bengals, the issues in Washington reside right in the corner office. 

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Washington has fired another coach in Jay Gruden, but one former player says the problem with the team is that you can’t fire the owner.

LaVar Arrington, a linebacker who was selected by Washington with the second overall pick in 2000, played there six years and later covered the team as a broadcaster, said on FS1 that Dan Snyder is to blame.

“The root of the issue is ownership,” Arrington said.

Arrington said the culture in Washington breeds players who resent Snyder.

“You’re told not to look the owner in the eyes,” Arrington said. “You had to address him as Mr. Snyder, even as an adult, and if you were not of a certain level or stature you were told not to look at the owner.”

Those details are a little hard to believe, but Arrington is far from alone in thinking that Snyder himself is the real reason that Washington has won only one playoff game since he bought the team.

Just like the Bengals, the issues in Washington reside right in the corner office. 

I gotta believe Tomlin is smarter than that.  There will be a few far better openings if he actually gets walking papers.  

Archived