Why can't a coach challenge a call under 2 minutes?

What is the logic? With David Johnson's critical reception that obviously wasn't, why can't a coach challenge in the most important time frame of the game? So under 2 minutes, a coach has to pray that the booth reviews a potentially bad call. Giving the booth a chance to pick and choose. 

I just want to know the logic, not have yet another debate over whether the league is out to get us. I didn't watch it live. I don't know if Taylor had any challenges any way. Just interested in your take on this asinine rule.

It was at the far end away from my view, so didn't see it. The PBS screens are notoriously slow to show replays, and didn't show it until AZ was close to lining up. I agree, he did drop it.

There would have been challenges left--I think Taylor used one in the first half. Unfortunately, only booth reviews in that time frame. As you say, convenient.

Is there a set number of replay officials in the booth at every game?  Are they local guys or do they travel to different stadiums?  Also, do nationally televised games have better video setups than a regional game?  I don't really know anything about how that all works and how quickly they have access to the various replays in that booth.  I would think some setups and stadiums are better than others but have no idea. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

It was at the far end away from my view, so didn't see it. The PBS screens are notoriously slow to show replays, and didn't show it until AZ was close to lining up. I agree, he did drop it.

There would have been challenges left--I think Taylor used one in the first half. Unfortunately, only booth reviews in that time frame. As you say, convenient.

But my main point is in general. Why can't a coach challenge under 2 minutes? Why is there that stipulation when that is the time they would possibly need it the most? 

Snagged this off of Wiki so take it for what it's worth:

"Within the two-minute warning period (of either half/overtime), instant replay reviews can only take place if the replay assistant, who sits in the press box and monitors the network broadcast of the game, determines that a play needs review. Coaches may not use a coach's challenge"

As to question 2: who the fuck knows? 

i think it was to avoid a coach just challenging because he had one left and to fish for a play that was iffy and wouldnt of considered normally. for him at worse he lost a time out which time was still stopped . so it turned a 25sec timeout into a 2-5 min.  sorta like the last 2 min of a basketball game take 15-20 minutes , plus every hail mary would be challenged for pass interference by  which ever side had things not go their way. 

13 hours ago, stryker57 said:

i think it was to avoid a coach just challenging because he had one left and to fish for a play that was iffy and wouldnt of considered normally. for him at worse he lost a time out which time was still stopped . so it turned a 25sec timeout into a 2-5 min.  sorta like the last 2 min of a basketball game take 15-20 minutes , plus every hail mary would be challenged for pass interference by  which ever side had things not go their way. 

I see what you're saying (I think) and I agree.

Inside two minutes time outs are 25 seconds.

Challenging even an obvious call would take more than 25 seconds to confirm and the team

would have substantially more time to accurately figure out  what is going on with the situation on

the field and their best option and getting the right players on the field.

A 25 second thinkfast gives more time to assess the situation and the luxury of getting in the right personnel.

A time out and a bad challenge has the same consequence, anyway, but the challenges gives the team more than 25 seconds.

Close to the goal, need points to go ahead or tie, inside two minutes... sounds like a situation where Sam Wyche would have

challenged rather than TO'd every time.

Archived