It's obvious that Zac Taylor is in over his head

His looks totally lost on the sidelines.

Confused, bad challenges, no challenges, limited TE involvement in his offense.

How about putting Tate and Eifert on the same side of the field, just once, please.

He continues to run Gio up the middle for unknown reasons.

Not having a spy on Lamar Jackson.

I could go on and on.

Having never been a head coach of anything at any time in his life, I suppose his performance as an NFL head coach is about what we should have expected...on the plus side, he's a bright young man who should be able to grow into the job as time goes on. But if he doesn't learn and develop we've got another Dave Shula to suffer through, and that's really gonna suck.

1 minute ago, bigboi said:

indeed, but should the bengals keep him after this season or let him go? this guy has no experience, and they knew that from the start and hired him anyway.

Taylor could go 0-16 and keep his job...Dave Shula got 4 1/2 years before Brown pulled the plug on him. Speaking of Dave Shula and the comparisons being made, the huge difference between him and Zac Taylor is Dave Shula had the respect of no one on the Bengals and was openly mocked, without consequence. I think today's Bengals like playing for Taylor.

It's a major jump from career position coach to the big chair--even if everything falls in place. More drafts and/or player additions plus better assistants would still take him another 2-3 seasons to get even comfortable. MB might have the patience for this, but doubtful the media/JohnQAverageFan will. 

Jay might be tempting, but I really doubt Taylor gets tossed after one year. 

Just now, Duluoz said:

Taylor could go 0-16 and keep his job...Dave Shula got 4 1/2 years before Brown pulled the plug on him. Speaking of Dave Shula and the comparisons being made, the huge difference between him and Zac Taylor is Dave Shula had the respect of no one on the Bengals and was openly mocked, without consequence. I think today's Bengals like playing for Taylor.

Somewhat revisionist history: the "mocking" such as it was, centered mostly at one moment in later '92 when Gary Reasons playfully tugged at Shula's hat at the end of a blowout loss. Reasons rarely played thereafter, and was out of football the following year. 

Still 10 games to go this season--there will be griping and shenanigans guaranteed. We'll see if he gets the cover to play tough guy once it starts. 

2 hours ago, SmoothD said:

His looks totally lost on the sidelines.

Confused, bad challenges, no challenges, limited TE involvement in his offense.

How about putting Tate and Eifert on the same side of the field, just once, please.

He continues to run Gio up the middle for unknown reasons.

Not having a spy on Lamar Jackson.

I could go on and on.

honestly. you should be used to these things 

1 hour ago, Duluoz said:

Having never been a head coach of anything at any time in his life, I suppose his performance as an NFL head coach is about what we should have expected...on the plus side, he's a bright young man who should be able to grow into the job as time goes on. But if he doesn't learn and develop we've got another Dave Shula to suffer through, and that's really gonna suck.

How sure are we that Taylor is some offensive genius because his offense is struggling to score more than 20 points per game.  The offensive is horrible in the red zone, he makes bad decisions on challenges and play calls, and is roster moves so far leave a lot to be desired.

I know Brown is on this search for the next Bill Waslh, aka the one that got away, but I don't think Taylor is that guy.

17 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

How sure are we that Taylor is some offensive genius because his offense is struggling to score more than 20 points per game.  The offensive is horrible in the red zone, he makes bad decisions on challenges and play calls, and is roster moves so far leave a lot to be desired.

I know Brown is on this search for the next Bill Waslh, aka the one that got away, but I don't think Taylor is that guy.

And the league has figured out Boy Wonder’s offense in LA after 2 years. BTW, watching Devin Bush kicking ass in Pittspuke really sucks.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Somewhat revisionist history: the "mocking" such as it was, centered mostly at one moment in later '92 when Gary Reasons playfully tugged at Shula's hat at the end of a blowout loss.

Reasons did his cap-tug thing to Shula before a Monday Night Football national TV audience and was the crowning moment of everything Bungals. By not reacting to Reasons' egregious disrespect Dave Shula completely lost the respect of fans and players everywhere and indelibly branded the franchise as incompetent. I remember the moment the way I remember where I was when JFK was assassinated.

He never stood a chance, only way an unproven position coach could come into a head coaching job with a chance is if there was a solid organization to support him,  I doubt a proven winner could come in here and fix these problems much less a QB coach 

3 minutes ago, Storm said:

He never stood a chance, only way an unproven position coach could come into a head coaching job with a chance is if there was a solid organization to support him,  I doubt a proven winner could come in here and fix these problems much less a QB coach 

Yep. Don’t forget all the other coaches brought in who were new at their positions as well.

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yep. Don’t forget all the other coaches brought in who were new at their positions as well.

Kind of what I meant when I said "solid organization"  from the front office down to the players

Taylor inherited a shitty, losing team that cost Marvin his job. These are not players he drafted or courted and this team would have a losing record regardless of the coach. 

Taylor or any coach needs at least 2 to 3 seasons to build their team. If it’s true he’s  so bad that it can be determined 6 games in, I blame the FO for shitty hiring. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

20 points??? Lol what games have you been watching?  3 points seems to be about our  ceiling.

Seriously we probably couldn't beat LSU bama Penn State Wisconsin Oklahoma or Florida.    ASU and Marvin Lewis probably give us a run for the money.  They got a great QB. 

1 hour ago, Duluoz said:

Reasons did his cap-tug thing to Shula before a Monday Night Football national TV audience and was the crowning moment of everything Bungals. By not reacting to Reasons' egregious disrespect Dave Shula completely lost the respect of fans and players everywhere and indelibly branded the franchise as incompetent. I remember the moment the way I remember where I was when JFK was assassinated.

This was October of 1992--his first season. It was a blowout loss in Pittsburgh. No one noticed the cap tug--other than Al Michaels. Reasons apologized after the game to Shula--who later said he didn't even notice it. Esiason said he "highly respected" him, and most of the players that season believed he had the stuff to get it done. He was a known disciplinarian in practices--and was known to not take crap off of anyone. As I said, Reasons saw his playing time go down after that, and was out of the league the next year.

He became less and less effective as the subsequent seasons went forward. But he was roundly praised for his work on getting the deal made to move up for Ki-Jana. Now we call it a disaster, but if your memory is as good as you say it is, then you will remember that was as gutsy a move as could be made for the consensus #1 player from a franchise which never gambled like that. 

He actually got some respected assistants, but sort of like Taylor, he was dealing with an aging and declining talent base. He had the remnants of Wyche's team, but saddled with having to play a new QB behind a crap line, with no running game and no defense. Haven't we heard that somewhere? 

He wasnt God's gift to coaching as it turned out, but he wasn't really any different than the guy here now all things being equal. 

7 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

He wasnt God's gift to coaching as it turned out, but he wasn't really any different than the guy here now all things being equal. 

And the 2 that follow him didn’t exactly set the place on fire. People seem to forget how bad Coslet and LeBeau were and only focus on Shula. 

1 hour ago, Storm said:

Kind of what I meant when I said "solid organization"  from the front office down to the players

I thought Taylor chose his own coaches?  Maybe not the best decision. As far as the front office is concerned, I got nothing

2 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Didn't Bengals interview Eric bienemy?  

Did they pick Taylor over bienemy or did bienemy turn down the job? 

The impression I got from Twitter was that the Bengals just chose Taylor over him, and he was available.  Thing is, the Jets, Bucs, and Dolphins all chose someone else, as well.  Not that those are model franchises, by any means, but it makes you wonder what's making teams hesitant to pull the trigger.  The Taylor experiment probably won't work, but he deserves at least two seasons to show something.  If they don't win a playoff game while he's here, then...well...it will be just like the past 30 years and the four guys who came before him.  It's not like we've grown accustomed to having nice things.

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

I thought Taylor chose his own coaches?  Maybe not the best decision. As far as the front office is concerned, I got nothing

Sure, but did he have the ability to pay them reasonable salaries?  It's not like a proven coach or player is coming to work for Mike Brown unless he is paid.  They know what the Bengals are, and Taylor has done zero to change that.  Taylor most likely got who he could, which was people who wanted an opportunity or title upgrade. 

8 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Sure, but did he have the ability to pay them reasonable salaries?  It's not like a proven coach or player is coming to work for Mike Brown unless he is paid.  They know what the Bengals are, and Taylor has done zero to change that.  Taylor most likely got who he could, which was people who wanted an opportunity or title upgrade. 

Taylor got who he wanted.  Almost everyone he brought in was a friend or former co worker.  The Bengals cleared the decks for him before he arrived. He could have brought in plenty of experienced O or D coordinators if he wanted to, there are only 32 of those jobs in the world.    Plenty of those guys have used Cincy to move on to head coaching gigs. 

Archived