It's obvious that Zac Taylor is in over his head

11 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

20 points??? Lol what games have you been watching?  3 points seems to be about our  ceiling.

Seriously we probably couldn't beat LSU bama Penn State Wisconsin Oklahoma or Florida.    ASU and Marvin Lewis probably give us a run for the money.  They got a great QB. 

/s

32 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Taylor got who he wanted.  Almost everyone he brought in was a friend or former co worker.  The Bengals cleared the decks for him before he arrived. He could have brought in plenty of experienced O or D coordinators if he wanted to, there are only 32 of those jobs in the world.    Plenty of those guys have used Cincy to move on to head coaching gigs. 

If Taylor only wanted guys who had zero experience in that position that is 100% on him.  Incredible arrogance to think you don't need the input of someone who has already been there.

I am sure nearly everyone there feels that if things don't work out they have just raised their status on the coaching ladder.  Works the same way in the business world. 

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I thought I read his offense at UC was a shitshow?  He looks like a rookie HC with a broken roster.  

It was going to be him or Hue Jackson so :shrug:  

how's the draft look for healthy OT's?  

I'm not sure OT will be the first pick, we just did that with Jonha Williams, and while it's not unheard of (Andre Smith) taking a RT that high when you can usually get a solid RT in the 2nd as high as we will be picking....

I wish I liked the QBs more coming out of this draft as it stands now Im not opposed to trading down a few spots and taking the top LB

12 hours ago, Harley said:

Taylor inherited a shitty, losing team that cost Marvin his job. These are not players he drafted or courted and this team would have a losing record regardless of the coach. 

Taylor or any coach needs at least 2 to 3 seasons to build their team. If it’s true he’s  so bad that it can be determined 6 games in, I blame the FO for shitty hiring. 

I agree with this. I'm not sold on or hate Taylor yet. How many LT's, the most important position on the team after QB, has he gone through this year? Not accounting for the top 2 that didnt or havent played a snap yet. 

It's not even that he doesnt have "his players" it's that this team has major holes at important positions. We are 2-3 years away from being competitive again imho

1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

I just meant our recent run of 1st rounders getting hurt every year.

I was just making the point everyone wanted a McVey disciple and now the shine is off that turd.

Meanwhile, in SFran, a defensive oriented team with a good run blocking o line and controlled short to mid range passing is undefeated.  Same thing happening in New England.   Same thing happening in New Orleans. 

Play good d, run the ball to set up play action passing.  Time tested formula. 

14 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

This was October of 1992--his first season. It was a blowout loss in Pittsburgh. No one noticed the cap tug--other than Al Michaels. Reasons apologized after the game to Shula--who later said he didn't even notice it. Esiason said he "highly respected" him, and most of the players that season believed he had the stuff to get it done. He was a known disciplinarian in practices--and was known to not take crap off of anyone. As I said, Reasons saw his playing time go down after that, and was out of the league the next year.

He became less and less effective as the subsequent seasons went forward. But he was roundly praised for his work on getting the deal made to move up for Ki-Jana. Now we call it a disaster, but if your memory is as good as you say it is, then you will remember that was as gutsy a move as could be made for the consensus #1 player from a franchise which never gambled like that. 

He actually got some respected assistants, but sort of like Taylor, he was dealing with an aging and declining talent base. He had the remnants of Wyche's team, but saddled with having to play a new QB behind a crap line, with no running game and no defense. Haven't we heard that somewhere? 

He wasnt God's gift to coaching as it turned out, but he wasn't really any different than the guy here now all things being equal. 

You and I have vastly different memories / interpretations of Dave Shula and his tenure, so we'll leave it at that. You say / think he was respected by his players while I believe he damaged the franchise almost irreparably with his shortcomings as head coach. Has any other team in NFL history been as ridiculed as the Dave Shula Bungals? 

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

Taylor got who he wanted.  Almost everyone he brought in was a friend or former co worker.  The Bengals cleared the decks for him before he arrived. He could have brought in plenty of experienced O or D coordinators if he wanted to, there are only 32 of those jobs in the world.    Plenty of those guys have used Cincy to move on to head coaching gigs. 

That's every coach in any sport.  They all want their guys.

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm not sure OT will be the first pick, we just did that with Jonha Williams, and while it's not unheard of (Andre Smith) taking a RT that high when you can usually get a solid RT in the 2nd as high as we will be picking....

I like that he hasn't gone to IR yet but I still wouldn't count on him to stay healthy when & if he gets that way, at least not right away.  Even if he turns into a 10-year starter he won't be more than a redshirt LT prospect for 2020.   We need to bring in an entire healthy OL one way or another.

29 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

That's every coach in any sport.  They all want their guys.

Oh I am not condemning him for it, just saying what went down.  I honestly think he should have brought in a battle tested DC though. 

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I like that he hasn't gone to IR yet but I still wouldn't count on him to stay healthy when & if he gets that way, at least not right away.  Even if he turns into a 10-year starter he won't be more than a redshirt LT prospect for 2020.   We need to bring in an entire healthy OL one way or another.

yeah way too early to know about him yet, I like what he did in college, but this isnt college

If he goes 0-16, he should be out in my book. I don't think this team is as bad as 0-16.  Marvin took over a 2-14 team that improved week-to week, Marvin was one of the most sought after coaches at the time, and he came here. I don't buy the crap that no one wants to come to Cincinnati. As it's been said, there are only 32 of these jobs available. The fact that he can't adjust to the opponents pass rush, that Geno has disappeared, Hubbard has disappeared, Lawson disappeared, WJIII disappeared, Bates.....looks lost. Play to the teams strengths. 

1 hour ago, Duluoz said:

You and I have vastly different memories / interpretations of Dave Shula and his tenure, so we'll leave it at that. You say / think he was respected by his players while I believe he damaged the franchise almost irreparably with his shortcomings as head coach. Has any other team in NFL history been as ridiculed as the Dave Shula Bungals? 

Memories are memories. Your point was the 1992 team, not thereafter. As much as I despise quoting articles--especially the Washington Post--here is one from after the MNF debacle:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1992/10/27/for-david-shula-a-legacy-of-victory/83b262cc-c5c4-4399-8e7a-8c158b246e0f/

It is an interesting article in its entirety, but these observations/quotes were telling:

Important Endorsements

His players also say they believe Shula can succeed. They liked his low-key yet disciplined style in training camp, especially after levying fines on veterans for being a few minutes late for a meal or a meeting, a transgression that never fazed Wyche. They respect his work ethic, his fairness in dealing with them, his willingness to allow his assistants a large say in game preparation.

"It's not the coach's fault we're not getting it done," a despondent and battered quarterback Boomer Esiason said after the Stealers loss a week ago Monday night. "He's doing everything he can think of. He's been through tough times in Dallas, and Miami too. And I believe he can turn this team around."

"I've been very impressed from the beginning," said veteran kicker Jim Breech. "He's definitely got goals and his own agenda. He focuses well and he prepares well, and I think we're moving in the right direction... . He's not real loud or emotional, but he'll definitely let you know when he's not pleased."

That was evident to a nationwide TV audience during the Monday night game in what they're describing as "the cap flap" back in Cincinnati. Late in the game, veteran linebacker Gary Reasons tugged on the bill of Shula's cap in anger after Shula admonished his play. The incident was replayed by ABC, and announcer Al Michaels said that was a good way for a player to get himself waived.

But Reasons is still a Bengal. He's also said he meant no disrespect to Shula and didn't even realize what he'd done until told about it afterward. Shula said he had spoken with Reasons, was satisfied with his explanation and that would be that. 

For what it's worth. 

You know, the twists and turns of NFL coaching prowess will break your neck trying to follow and understand. For years Kyle Shanahan was one of those "rising stars" waiting in the wings for his chance to be a head coach. Then San Francisco  pulled the trigger and gave him a chance in 2017, for which Shanahan promptly turned in seasons of 6-10 and 4-12...not exactly superstar stuff. Enter the 2019 season and the 49ers are 5-0 and just dominating everybody they play, Shanahan looking like the wunderkind he was supposed to be.

Does that mean if we give Zac Taylor a chance he'll be another Kyle Shanahan? No, it doesn't mean anything other than forecasting what a new NFL coach is capable of in the future is nearly impossible.

9 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

If he goes 0-16, he should be out in my book. I don't think this team is as bad as 0-16.  Marvin took over a 2-14 team that improved week-to week, Marvin was one of the most sought after coaches at the time, and he came here. I don't buy the crap that no one wants to come to Cincinnati. As it's been said, there are only 32 of these jobs available. The fact that he can't adjust to the opponents pass rush, that Geno has disappeared, Hubbard has disappeared, Lawson disappeared, WJIII disappeared, Bates.....looks lost. Play to the teams strengths. 

Last time I checked, we still had 4 guys on the roster who are (were) Pro Bowlers (Atkins, Eifert, Mixon, AJ)

We have a outstanding No. 2 receiver in Boyd.

We have a shut down corner in WJII.

These are nice pieces in place to build upon.

A friend of mine who played in the NFL, told me that every team pretty much has equal talent (in most cases), but what separates great teams from good teams, and bad teams, is coaching, schemes and play calling

25 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

You know, the twists and turns of NFL coaching prowess will break your neck trying to follow and understand. For years Kyle Shanahan was one of those "rising stars" waiting in the wings for his chance to be a head coach. Then San Francisco  pulled the trigger and gave him a chance in 2017, for which Shanahan promptly turned in seasons of 6-10 and 4-12...not exactly superstar stuff. Enter the 2019 season and the 49ers are 5-0 and just dominating everybody they play, Shanahan looking like the wunderkind he was supposed to be.

Does that mean if we give Zac Taylor a chance he'll be another Kyle Shanahan? No, it doesn't mean anything other than forecasting what a new NFL coach is capable of in the future is nearly impossible.

The big difference is John Lynch is the GM in SFran, we got Old Musty and kin.   Also, Shannahan was an actual NFL offensive coordinator for 9 years which is way more similar to a head coaching gig that being Jarod Goff’s and Ryan Tannehill’s  babysittier. 

Duke Tobin is to blame. He should be fired. At one point our offensive line was Andre Smith, Michael Jordan, Trey Hopkins, John Miller and Bobby Hart. We began the season with only five linebackers and the starters were Preston Brown and Nick Vigil. Cincinnati drafted John Ross in the 1st Round in 2017 Malik Jefferson in the 3rd Round last year and and Drew Sample in the 2nd this year. The Bengals agreed to pay Dre Kirkpatrick an average of $10 million per year and Bobby Hart an average of $7 million. They're biggest outside free agent signings this off season were John Jerry and BW Webb. They've won 2 games in the past calendar year and the vast majority of their best players are on the wrong side of 30.

Nobody is coming in here and fixing this shit with scheme. The roster is currently  quite easily one of the worst in the league. I've scratched my head at some of the play calling and decision making too but I cannot blame the sculptor who has no clay.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Memories are memories. Your point was the 1992 team, not thereafter. As much as I despise quoting articles--especially the Washington Post--here is one from after the MNF debacle:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1992/10/27/for-david-shula-a-legacy-of-victory/83b262cc-c5c4-4399-8e7a-8c158b246e0f/

It is an interesting article in its entirety, but these observations/quotes were telling:

Important Endorsements

His players also say they believe Shula can succeed. They liked his low-key yet disciplined style in training camp, especially after levying fines on veterans for being a few minutes late for a meal or a meeting, a transgression that never fazed Wyche. They respect his work ethic, his fairness in dealing with them, his willingness to allow his assistants a large say in game preparation.

"It's not the coach's fault we're not getting it done," a despondent and battered quarterback Boomer Esiason said after the Stealers loss a week ago Monday night. "He's doing everything he can think of. He's been through tough times in Dallas, and Miami too. And I believe he can turn this team around."

"I've been very impressed from the beginning," said veteran kicker Jim Breech. "He's definitely got goals and his own agenda. He focuses well and he prepares well, and I think we're moving in the right direction... . He's not real loud or emotional, but he'll definitely let you know when he's not pleased."

That was evident to a nationwide TV audience during the Monday night game in what they're describing as "the cap flap" back in Cincinnati. Late in the game, veteran linebacker Gary Reasons tugged on the bill of Shula's cap in anger after Shula admonished his play. The incident was replayed by ABC, and announcer Al Michaels said that was a good way for a player to get himself waived.

But Reasons is still a Bengal. He's also said he meant no disrespect to Shula and didn't even realize what he'd done until told about it afterward. Shula said he had spoken with Reasons, was satisfied with his explanation and that would be that. 

For what it's worth. 

I suppose that skews my notion that Shula lost the respect of his team somewhat, but I will never let go of the connection between the birth of the Bungals and his time as head coach. Everything humiliating, debasing and degrading began with Dave Shula.

there's just really not very much talent on this team overall and then throw the worst OL in the league in on top of it....I'm not really sure how we can get much of an idea of what kind of coach we truly have right now....and that would have applied to any coach they would have brought in. I mean coaching is great to have and all but obviously you need some talent as well. No one they could have brought in was going to change that here.

either way, I'd rather go 0-16 with a new young coach like Taylor than 8-8 with an old stale coach like Marvin. 

36 minutes ago, spicoli said:

there's just really not very much talent on this team overall and then throw the worst OL in the league in on top of it....I'm not really sure how we can get much of an idea of what kind of coach we truly have right now....and that would have applied to any coach they would have brought in. I mean coaching is great to have and all but obviously you need some talent as well. No one they could have brought in was going to change that here.

either way, I'd rather go 0-16 with a new young coach like Taylor than 8-8 with an old stale coach like Marvin. 

Really?? 0-16 is nothing to be proud of or wishing for. Only two other teams hold that distinction. I don't want to be the 3rd.

3 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Duke Tobin is to blame. He should be fired. At one point our offensive line was Andre Smith, Michael Jordan, Trey Hopkins, John Miller and Bobby Hart. We began the season with only five linebackers and the starters were Preston Brown and Nick Vigil. Cincinnati drafted John Ross in the 1st Round in 2017 Malik Jefferson in the 3rd Round last year and and Drew Sample in the 2nd this year. The Bengals agreed to pay Dre Kirkpatrick an average of $10 million per year and Bobby Hart an average of $7 million. They're biggest outside free agent signings this off season were John Jerry and BW Webb. They've won 2 games in the past calendar year and the vast majority of their best players are on the wrong side of 30.

Nobody is coming in here and fixing this shit with scheme. The roster is currently  quite easily one of the worst in the league. I've scratched my head at some of the play calling and decision making too but I cannot blame the sculptor who has no clay.

I don't know if those were all Duke moves but yeah...  I wouldn't give up on Hopkins yet & one of Jordan or Price should lock down a guard spot this year.  If Jerry can hang on at LT he might make a good swing back-up player.  Good backs & WR's, the TE group is fine for now. We need OT's & CB/LB on defense or anyone that can tackle FFS.       

Archived