It's obvious that Zac Taylor is in over his head

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Sounds like the same hype we heard about Ross only on defense.  NFL isn't ready, immediate Hall of Fame player, nobody can possibly match up to him, instant upgrade etc etc.  I mean I'm sure he looked great against Northwestern or whoever but everyone in the NFL was a big badass in college.

Not even close in comparison.  He is the consensus best player in the draft. 

9 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

OK...I'll interrupt this free flow, with an important question about this cat Chase Young:

Who is this guy? 

Yeah, I can read...world class something or other. Heard the same thing about Clowney. Just what does he do: is he a hand-on-the-ground DE...a hybrid DE/LB...a standup LB? The probable answer will be: all of that. If so, let me query the college FB experts here with this:

He is 6'5"/265...not bad size for a DE in college. But, how is he as a run defender, shedding blocks, sealing the end? Enough bulk? Remember, speed alone won't be the end all in a 3-down DE in the NFL...linemen can hold way more at the next level. 

Is he only a pass rusher? Isn't there already a one-trick pony like that on this team (Lawson)?

Has he played up-and-down at OSU...hybrid DE/LB? Has he ever played LB at all? Does he have coverage skills...staying with a TE and/or RB? 

If he is this all-universe Swiss Army knife who can do everything...let's see it. 

You live in Columbus, watch a OSU game.

You questioning whether Chase Young is any good is like someone from Cleveland posting "tell me about LeBron James fella". 

So was Clowney. So was Dan Wilkinson. So was Garrett. So was fill-in-the-blank. 

Not that he won't be great...but what if he becomes just a solid pro? Won't he need others around him--including coaches? 

The NBA is a non-sequitur. 

I haven't watched an OSU game in many years. Div I College football interests me less than the NFL. Why does it matter where I live? 

15 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Jimmy Johnson, 1-15 first year, Bill Walsh 2-14 first year.  Just Saying!!

They were also accomplished coaches with a proven track record before they got hired. Johnson won championships in college, Walsh was an OC that worked under Paul Brown.

Walsh and Johnson also had owners that prioritized winning and didn't whatever it took, Taylor doesn't have thank type of support.

This is a lazy comparison and quite humerous. For every Walsh and Johnson there countless coaches no one remembers that didn't make it.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

So was Clowney. So was Dan Wilkinson. So was Garrett. So was fill-in-the-blank. 

Not that he won't be great...but what if he becomes just a solid pro? Won't he need others around him--including coaches? 

The NBA is a non-sequitur. 

I haven't watched an OSU game in many years. Div I College football interests me less than the NFL. Why does it matter where I live? 

Why do keep saying Clowney like he's a bust, he's a Pro Bowler and the leader of one of the best teams in the NFL. Garrett is a good player and so was Big Daddy.

How can you not watch OSU but watch the Bengals? 

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

They were also accomplished coaches with a proven track record before they got hired. Johnson won championships in college, Walsh was an OC that worked under Paul Brown.

Walsh and Johnson also had owners that prioritized winning and didn't whatever it took, Taylor doesn't have thank type of support.

This is a lazy comparison and quite humerous. For every Walsh and Johnson there countless coaches no one remembers that didn't make it.

I think it all boils down to both coaches came in with a plan and executed on it exceptionally well.

The only plan I can gather after 9 games is that Taylor is trying to install the Rams offense here but doesn't have the players.  On defense they are trying some strange formation that from my perspective would require 2 borderline all pro linebackers to execute.    Needless to say, we are 32nd in points allowed, 31st in Opposing team yards per rush at 5.16 and 28th in points scored.  There is no part of the team other than Fat Randy that is functioning anywhere near the middle of the NFL.  

As far as personnel goes, they drafted 1 player that should help, a spare tight end, the quarterback of the future and a linebacker and D tackle playing about 25% of the defensive snaps.  Keep in mind, the defense was 32nd last year.   Free agency consisted of signing their own players and Webb and Miller from the Bills.    I just don't see any real attempt to get better, basically just filling holes with bodies and showing up at the draft.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Sounds like the same hype we heard about Ross only on defense.  NFL isn't ready, immediate Hall of Fame player, nobody can possibly match up to him, instant upgrade etc etc.  I mean I'm sure he looked great against Northwestern or whoever but everyone in the NFL was a big badass in college.

Well he’s a better all around player than both of the Bosa brothers....have you seen any signs from them of being slow to adapt to the pro game?  

Chase Young is a game wrecker, plain and simple. The only thing that’s going to keep him from being one of the very best players in the league from the minute he gets drafted will be some unforeseen injury. Other than that he’s an absolute no brainer pick.....just like Nick Bosa was, just like Quinton Nelson was, just like Von Miller was...

18 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Why do keep saying Clowney like he's a bust, he's a Pro Bowler and the leader of one of the best teams in the NFL. Garrett is a good player and so was Big Daddy.

lol.. no shit.

who needs great players?? apparently our defense is just fine.

I mean they only gave up 49 points through 3 quarters

20 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I think it all boils down to both coaches came in with a plan and executed on it exceptionally well.

The only plan I can gather after 9 games is that Taylor is trying to install the Rams offense here but doesn't have the players.  On defense they are trying some strange formation that from my perspective would require 2 borderline all pro linebackers to execute.  

As far as personnel goes, they drafted 1 player that should help, a spare tight end, the quarterback of the future and a linebacker and D tackle playing about 25% of the defensive snaps.  Keep in mind, the defense was 32nd last year.   Free agency consisted of signing their own players and Webb and Miller from the Bills.    I just don't see any real attempt to get better, basically just filling holes with bodies and showing up at the draft.

The plan from what I've seen so far was for the Brown family and Tobin to blame Marvin Lewis for everything that went wrong. They brought back the same players, so that is basically saying the coaching was the issue.

The marketing of a New Dey, that didn't age well at all btw, with the same players minus Marvin Lewis once again puts all the blame on Lewis.

Then they hire a guy with no relevant experience and he brings in more unqualified and inexperienced coaches. So the brain trust that has delivered zero playoff wins in 3 decades decides that previous experience calling plays and being a HC isn't a requirement to the job. 

The arrogance and ignorance of this organization is mind boggling. This whole unconventional way doing things that yields no positive results is their "plan".

25 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Why do keep saying Clowney like he's from just, he's a Pro Bowler and the leader of one of the best teams in the NFL. 

Garrett is a good player, just wait until Sunday..you will see..if you actually watch the games. How can you not watch OSU but watch the Bengals? 

Clowney was an absolute beast last night. 

31 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The only plan I can gather after 9 games is that Taylor is trying to install the Rams offense here but doesn't have the players.  On defense they are trying some strange formation that from my perspective would require 2 borderline all pro linebackers to execute.    Needless to say, we are 32nd in points allowed, 31st in Opposing team yards per rush at 5.16 and 28th in points scored.  There is no part of the team other than Fat Randy that is functioning near the middle of the NFL.  

Excellent post

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

You realize Lawson was a fourth round pick, right?  Chase Young is top 2 at worst. 

Jfc...I am not arguing with anyone--I was asking questions. Which no one has answered. IC at least offered a scouting report. 

You watch this college game more than I would ever care too: have any response to the questions as posed?  

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Each were called generational players. Good players all, but not "worthy of their draft status" or phrases I keep seeing from internet experts. 

Clowney was basically dumped by HOU--primarily it appears due to his injury history. He has significantly improved since getting to Seattle. But, he has not been this game-in-game-out all-everything force he was forecast to be before his draft. If this Chase Young cat is better than he is, then of course take him. 

I do not watch OSU--or any other DIV I college football--because I am not interested. Whatever is the remnant of NFL legitimacy, is the only reason I ever so much as glance at the pro game. And why does it matter?    

7 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Each were called generational players. Good players all, but not "worthy of their draft status" or phrases I keep seeing from internet experts. 

Clowney was basically dumped by HOU--primarily it appears due to his injury history. He has significantly improved since getting to Seattle. But, he has not been this game-in-game-out all-everything force he was forecast to be before his draft. If this Chase Young cat is better than he is, then of course take him. 

I do not watch OSU--or any other DIV I college football--because I am not interested. Whatever is the remnant of NFL legitimacy, is the only reason I ever so much as glance at the pro game. And why does it matter?    

There's never a guarantee on a draft pick, but he's clearly the best player, If he's there you take him. I've seen the guy blow apart double and triple teams. He's a team captain, a leader, and plays as hungry as I've ever seen anyone play. His presence would make the entire dline better because I don't think double teams can contain him at the NFL level. 

This team has had some horrible, horrible periods of darkness and this year literally feels like the deepest hole in their history. 

ZT is definitely going to be gone and you could say fire him today instead of after another 20 games but the Bengals HC waiting room is full of fucking cobwebs and dust. Draft picks or no draft picks.

It will be last offseason's futile "nobody wants the job" scenario times 10.

This is fucking Leper Island.

God bless you if you are a Bengals fan. 

What is Jack Del Rio doing these days?

The team needs a no nonsense, no bullshit type of leader.

I also think he might be the only one out there who is capable of convincing MB that changes are a must.

Say what you want about Marv, but he did change the culture (new weight room, updated dining facilities, and such)  and brought some respectability back to the organization

33 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

What is Jack Del Rio doing these days?

The team needs a no nonsense, no bullshit type of leader.

I also think he might be the only one out there who is capable of convincing MB that changes are a must.

Say what you want about Marv, but he did change the culture (new weight room, updated dining facilities, and such)  and brought some respectability back to the organization

"Following the 2018 season, he was under consideration to become the new defensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals and join new head coach Zac Taylor's first staff, but talks ultimately ended after the two sides decided it "wasn't the right fit.". The job eventually went to Taylor's former colleague Lou Anarumo."

Maybe time to rethink this move.

Might be a heads up to Zac, too.

Archived