It's obvious that Zac Taylor is in over his head

31 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Mike Brown believes in the "Bell Cow" qb theory.  Unless Findley or Dolegala shows something by season end my guess they pick a QB first.

Chase Young or trade down.

Some excellent qb's next year.

If we lose the first pick in the draft and someone gets Chase Young,

then a quarterback.

Washington only has one win.  Just named OSU's Haskins quarterback for the rest of the year.

Maybe our 2020 draft position is on his shoulders.

7 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

"Following the 2018 season, he was under consideration to become the new defensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals and join new head coach Zac Taylor's first staff, but talks ultimately ended after the two sides decided it "wasn't the right fit.". The job eventually went to Taylor's former colleague Lou Anarumo."

Maybe time to rethink this move.

Might be a heads up to Zac, too.

JDR was probably thinking, why would he work for someone who is less qualified than he is,  and why is Zac being considered for the HC position and he is not?

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Jfc...I am not arguing with anyone--I was asking questions. Which no one has answered. IC at least offered a scouting report. 

You watch this college game more than I would ever care too: have any response to the questions as posed?  

Clowney was a “generational” talent that came with red flags In regards to his attitude, Big daddy was a generational-type talent that had red flags in regards to his work ethic....with Chase Young there are literally no red flags at all. He’s everything you could ever ask for out of a top pick. He does everything extremely well and he is an absolutely outstanding young man that is the absolute heart and soul of that Buckeyes team.  He’s not only going to be one of the highest rated players to ever come out of college but he very well might be the cleanest to ever come out as well. He is an absolute no-brainer, period. 

18 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

But with Chase suspended who knows what will happen

He’s already back practicing with the team, nothing at all is going to come of it.  He might have to miss this week at most and that’s it. He’ll be back to face Penn St, Meatchicken and then the B1G title game. The only thing that missing these two games did was hurt his slim Heisman chances. 

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

He’s already back practicing with the team, nothing at all is going to come of it.  He might have to miss this week at most and that’s it. He’ll be back to face Penn St, Meatchicken and then the B1G title game. The only thing that missing these two games did was hurt his slim Heisman chances. 

I hope he is back for those two.. this whole situation sucks.

Hopefully he is only missing the two mid season scrimmages we are having.... lol 

55 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

I hope he is back for those two.. this whole situation sucks.

Hopefully he is only missing the two mid season scrimmages we are having.... lol 

Yeah that’s what it’s looking like. Supposedly it’s a 2 game NCAA ban at worst but the university is working to get him reinstated for this game against Rutgers Sat....not that they’ll need him. 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Each were called generational players. Good players all, but not "worthy of their draft status" or phrases I keep seeing from internet experts. 

Clowney was basically dumped by HOU--primarily it appears due to his injury history. He has significantly improved since getting to Seattle. But, he has not been this game-in-game-out all-everything force he was forecast to be before his draft. If this Chase Young cat is better than he is, then of course take him. 

I do not watch OSU--or any other DIV I college football--because I am not interested. Whatever is the remnant of NFL legitimacy, is the only reason I ever so much as glance at the pro game. And why does it matter?    

Clowney wasn't dumped by Houston, he was holding out and they traded him because they didn't want to pay him. Houston decided to pay a washed up JJ Watt instead of Clowney, that's an indictment on their FO moreso Clowney's talent level. They got trade raped because they had zero leverage, he wasn't dumped.

Clowney had some injuries early in his career but in his last 3 seasons he has missed 3 games. He's also been to 3 consecutive Pro Bowls, before he came to Seattle, and has had 27.5 sacks, 58 TFL's, and 71 QB hits. He's making a difference in a tangible way. 

Same for Garrett, he's an absolute beast, he's not the reason why Cleveland sucks. If they had a better QB and HC they would have a better record. Big Daddy balled out when he was here, but one guy can only do so much.

But if you don't watch college and only "ever so much as glance" at the NFL how do you form knowledgeable opinions on the game and it's players? 

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Sounds like the same hype we heard about Ross only on defense.  NFL isn't ready, immediate Hall of Fame player, nobody can possibly match up to him, instant upgrade etc etc.  I mean I'm sure he looked great against Northwestern or whoever but everyone in the NFL was a big badass in college.

Not sure who was saying that about Ross, he was an injury prone speedster that benefited from playing in a conference that played no defense.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/john-ross?id=2558010

Bottom Line

Ross is an instant-impact weapon who scored 23 touchdowns in just 112 touches. He should be able to step right in as a kick returner and a slot receiver, but teams with speed at tight end might utilize him outside to create extreme vertical stress on opposing safeties. If his knees check out as healthy, Ross is a likely first-round pick with the rare ability to become a high-volume slot receiver or a lesser-targeted, high-yield deep-ball threat.

23 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Not sure who was saying that about Ross, he was an injury prone speedster that benefited from playing in a conference that played no defense.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/john-ross?id=2558010

Bottom Line

Ross is an instant-impact weapon who scored 23 touchdowns in just 112 touches. He should be able to step right in as a kick returner and a slot receiver, but teams with speed at tight end might utilize him outside to create extreme vertical stress on opposing safeties. If his knees check out as healthy, Ross is a likely first-round pick with the rare ability to become a high-volume slot receiver or a lesser-targeted, high-yield deep-ball threat.

7 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Clowney wasn't dumped by Houston, he was holding out and they traded him because they didn't want to pay him. Houston decided to pay a washed up JJ Watt instead of Clowney, that's an indictment on their FO moreso Clowney's talent level. They got trade raped because they had zero leverage, he wasn't dumped.

Clowney had some injuries early in his career but in his last 3 seasons he has missed 3 games. He's also been to 3 consecutive Pro Bowls, before he came to Seattle, and has had 27.5 sacks, 58 TFL's, and 71 QB hits. He's making a difference in a tangible way. 

Same for Garrett, he's an absolute beast, he's not the reason why Cleveland sucks. If they had a better QB and HC they would have a better record. Big Daddy balled out when he was here, but one guy can only do so much.

But if you don't watch college and only "ever so much as glance" at the NFL how do you form knowledgeable opinions on the game and it's players? 

Why do you continue to argue with me? Do you just enjoy nuancing words? Seems we had this issue before, so don't know why you continue to bait with statements like this. 

I am not arguing--and the posts confirm this more than clearly--that the referenced players are, or were, good. I simply asked what makes this guy--without a down of NFL football--more of a dynamic sure thing than they were to have been? I simply asked specific questions about what he is or can do: play the run..a hand-on--ground DE only..can he cover TE's and RB's? No one has answered--other than to keep saying "he's great--how dare you ask". You seem to be good with stats--have an answer for this? I have looked, and his history is that of a hand-on-ground DE. But whatever, so was Clowney (said his name again).   

And, for the final time, one doesn't have to glue one's eyes on a TV, immerse oneself in the twaddle of online sport "journalists", or scour google incessantly for statistics, to keep up on this silly game. It is a casual interest--sorry to depart from the full-blown worship you evidently are clothed in. If that makes one a pariah--then get the fuck in. 

Are we done now...or is there some other non-invited argument you would like to continue?    

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I would be cool with them picking Chase.  It would be fun to see a Chase Young-Joe Burrow battle in the playoffs.  But with Chase suspended who knows what will happen.

Eh,  he is being investigated for a possible loan taken from a family friend.  Nobody in the NFL will care.  If anything, it will keep him healthy until a really meaningful game is to be played.  He will still go 1st or 2nd overall.  Dude's a freak.  

I'm not questioning whether Young is talented, but this idea that he's on some other level that the NFL has never seen before is predictable draft hype/homerism.  He's potentially a really good NFL player.  There are lots of those.  He has a long way to go before he's even in that conversation.  Imagine we plugged him into our defense tomorrow.  Are the odds of us going 0-16 drastically changed?

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'm not questioning whether Young talented, but this idea that he's on some other level that the NFL has never seen before is pure draft hype/homerism.  

No one said that - what we are saying is that he is clearly the best player in the draft and a potential difference maker. I am sure everyone knows the risks of all high draft picks, especially Bengal fans. 

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'm not questioning whether Young is talented, but this idea that he's on some other level that the NFL has never seen before is predictable draft hype/homerism.  He's potentially a really good NFL player.  There are lots of those.  He has a long way to go before he's even in that conversation.  Imagine we plugged him into our defense tomorrow.  Are the odds of us going 0-16 drastically changed?

Absolutely not, Joe Burrow or Tua maybe.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

He's going to be the highest rated and one of the cleanest prospects to come out in a really long time. No one is saying anything more than that.

Obviously injuries can happen, but barring something crazy happening, he's going to grade out as a future HOF-type talent. What else could you possibly want out of a draft prospect? 

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

He's going to be the highest rated and one of the cleanest prospects to come out in a really long time. No one is saying anything more than that.

Obviously injuries can happen, but barring something crazy happening, he's going to grade out as a future HOF-type talent. What else could you possibly want out of a draft prospect? 

Nothing at all.  All I'm saying is that the most important word by far in all that is "prospect".   He's a long, long way from the HoF.

40 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Nothing at all.  All I'm saying is that the most important word by far in all that is "prospect".   He's a long, long way from the HoF.

Oh no doubt. The grade/ratings he'll get will just reflect that he has the overall skill set and make-up to become a HOF-type player, not that he'll necessarily become that. IMO though, lack of health will be the only thing that keeps him from achieving that type of success. He's as good as I've ever seen coming out....think Bruce Smith. 

And at the end of the day, what else do we have? They don't sign FA's so we have to hope we can get the best prospects possible through the draft....what else is there?

23 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Oh no doubt. The grade/ratings he'll get will just reflect that he has the overall skill set and make-up to become a HOF-type player, not that he'll necessarily become that. IMO though, lack of health will be the only thing that keeps him from achieving that type of success. He's as good as I've ever seen coming out....think Bruce Smith. 

And at the end of the day, what else do we have? They don't sign FA's so we have to hope we can get the best prospects possible through the draft....what else is there?

My thinking is that we're nowhere close to being one player away from relevant.  I'd rather trade down for more early picks.  We need to overhaul the entire roster & DE is one of the few spots where we already have talent.

21 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Why do you continue to argue with me? Do you just enjoy nuancing words? Seems we had this issue before, so don't know why you continue to bait with statements like this. 

I am not arguing--and the posts confirm this more than clearly--that the referenced players are, or were, good. I simply asked what makes this guy--without a down of NFL football--more of a dynamic sure thing than they were to have been? I simply asked specific questions about what he is or can do: play the run..a hand-on--ground DE only..can he cover TE's and RB's? No one has answered--other than to keep saying "he's great--how dare you ask". You seem to be good with stats--have an answer for this? I have looked, and his history is that of a hand-on-ground DE. But whatever, so was Clowney (said his name again).   

And, for the final time, one doesn't have to glue one's eyes on a TV, immerse oneself in the twaddle of online sport "journalists", or scour google incessantly for statistics, to keep up on this silly game. It is a casual interest--sorry to depart from the full-blown worship you evidently are clothed in. If that makes one a pariah--then get the fuck in. 

Are we done now...or is there some other non-invited argument you would like to continue?    

We're done when I say we're done and not a moment sooner, buster!

On 11/12/2019 at 12:56 PM, spicoli said:

Clowney was a “generational” talent that came with red flags In regards to his attitude, Big daddy was a generational-type talent that had red flags in regards to his work ethic....with Chase Young there are literally no red flags at all. He’s everything you could ever ask for out of a top pick. He does everything extremely well and he is an absolutely outstanding young man that is the absolute heart and soul of that Buckeyes team.  He’s not only going to be one of the highest rated players to ever come out of college but he very well might be the cleanest to ever come out as well. He is an absolute no-brainer, period. 

Best-case scenario for Bengals fans is Finley proves adequate at QB, freeing up the #1 draft pick for Chase Young....I really hate the idea of burning the pick on QB, as it's traditionally such a crap shoot. We're desperate for IMMEDIATE help!

1 hour ago, Duluoz said:

Best-case scenario for Bengals fans is Finley proves adequate at QB, freeing up the #1 draft pick for Chase Young....I really hate the idea of burning the pick on QB, as it's traditionally such a crap shoot. We're desperate for IMMEDIATE help!

So we're aspiring to "adequate" QB play now?

Archived