It's obvious that Zac Taylor is in over his head

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Benching is expected, but giving him only 3 hours before the trade deadline and on his birthday no less;

But entirely par for the course with this organization.   They could turn taking the trash out to the curb into a mid-air collision.  

Even if we go 0-16, it's very unlikely Taylor is fired. The ironic thing is that he's almost certainly one of the lowest paid coaches in the league so buying him out should be easy enough. But finding a good replacement would be hard. Rex Ryan wants back in but will likely have a better option. 

If Taylor does return, he must fire Anarumo and Turner. But is he capable of hiring good replacements? The record thus far says no. Maybe Bill Callahan comes to coach the O-line. Maybe not. 

The league is built around parity and teams have lots of options for improvement. The Brown family is philosophically opposed to using certain channels for improvement, putting all their chips on letting the family make decisions and hoping to draft well. 

We don't need to worry about the Bengals moving to San Diego, that would give the city of Cincinnati the chance to force a sale of the team under the Modell law.

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Even if we go 0-16, it's very unlikely Taylor is fired. The ironic thing is that he's almost certainly one of the lowest paid coaches in the league so buying him out should be easy enough. But finding a good replacement would be hard. Rex Ryan wants back in but will likely have a better option. 

If Taylor does return, he must fire Anarumo and Turner. But is he capable of hiring good replacements? The record thus far says no. Maybe Bill Callahan comes to coach the O-line. Maybe not. 

The league is built around parity and teams have lots of options for improvement. The Brown family is philosophically opposed to using certain channels for improvement, putting all their chips on letting the family make decisions and hoping to draft well. 

We don't need to worry about the Bengals moving to San Diego, that would give the city of Cincinnati the chance to force a sale of the team under the Modell law.

What a damn shame that would be. 

They should've been fired this week.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

When Jay Gruden was fired they talked about who would want to go to Washington given how bad the team is run (on NFL radio). Kirwan simply said plenty of good coaches would because there are only so many jobs and all of these guys believe they turn an organization around. 

25 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yes, several people the Bengals offered jobs to turned them down. Todd Grantham, the Florida defensive coordinator was one of them. He might make more than Anarumo does.

At the big schools the coordinators and head coaches make more than the NFL. That drains the talent pool for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

I mean how do you bring him back if he goes 0-16?  

Which is looking very possible.  Even if he goes 1-15 or 2-14 how do you bring that back? 

I don't buy into the whole "he's a new coach and has to evaluate his players." He had all summer to watch film. He knew exactly what he had on this team coming in. Now maybe he tried to make player personnel changes and was denied from above. If that's the case then ok.  But don't tell me he didn't know what he had. That over the off-season he didn't watch film of the current players and study what was already here. 

33 minutes ago, Catfish Bob said:

Which is looking very possible.  Even if he goes 1-15 or 2-14 how do you bring that back? 

I don't buy into the whole "he's a new coach and has to evaluate his players." He had all summer to watch film. He knew exactly what he had on this team coming in. Now maybe he tried to make player personnel changes and was denied from above. If that's the case then ok.  But don't tell me he didn't know what he had. That over the off-season he didn't watch film of the current players and study what was already here. 

The argument would be that a single season isn't a fair reflection of his potential - that he needs time to gather the personnel which suit his gameplan - and that a never-ending coaching carousel (e.g. Stains) is self-perpetuating for that reason.

Here's my question though - in the history of the NFL, has any coach who started so poorly ever 'come good' and amounted to anything when given more time or multiple chances?

None come to mind. What does come to mind is Hue Jackson being given a 2nd season after his 0-fer.

Look at Marvin, for example. Yes, after 16 years or whatever we all know his faults. But when he took over, it took less than a season to turn around what was a total laughingstock and show he was a different class from any of the clowns that preceded him - an immediate impact.

58 minutes ago, Catfish Bob said:

Mike Brown will always find an excuse to do something dumb.

39 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

He'll cite Bill Belichick who had a losing record in Cleveland.

6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 5-11.

Yes he learned and improved with time. But my point would be, even in his first season, he wasn't close to looking as incompetent as Taylor.

1 hour ago, Go Tory Go! said:

The argument would be that a single season isn't a fair reflection of his potential - that he needs time to gather the personnel which suit his gameplan - and that a never-ending coaching carousel (e.g. Stains) is self-perpetuating for that reason.

the answer to that argument  is ..... thats why successful coaching staffs (and organizations) use a gameplan that matchs their personal.  

trying to cram a 113 personal down a offense that has 3rd string LT (that we cut 3 times cause he couldnt play RT) and the only returning starter is Bobby " false start" Hart. was his starting plan. sadly Eifert is their best TE and they rarely played him till the star 2nd rounder got hurt.  and with this porous OL  maybe a FB would have helped? and then the play calling.... 3 and 1 and they go from a shotgun?  every play has to have motion? and rop option plays dont work when you OL cant run block  or pass block.  and then theres the defense......the hardest part on gameplanning  against the bengals is you dont know what to do, most running plays work against them  while pass plays, well ... most them work too.... 

9 hours ago, Go Tory Go! said:

6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 5-11.

Yes he learned and improved with time. But my point would be, even in his first season, he wasn't close to looking as incompetent as Taylor.

Oh,, I agree Taylor is in over his head and should be fired if he wins less than 3 games this year. 

I believe if Taylor is brought back, the team will be worse than they are this year.

Teams will have 16 games of film of him and his coaching tactics.

They will see his vanilla schemes and inability to make adjustments.

Look at the Rams offense.

The league has it figured out now.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Oh, but he was stale, and needed to go. 

:ph34r:

He absolutely needed to go. Finishing 8-8 every year does absolutely nothing whatsoever to move this team forward. 0-16 is actually a better way to move this team forward than 8-8 every year, IMO. At least it gives them a shot at a potential difference maker in the draft and if nothing else it might embarrass Mikey enough to actually try something different in the off-season. 

Archived