Former #Stealers rookie guard Fred Johnson was claimed by the #Bengals, I’m told. Another depth addition in Cincy.

The Cincinnati Bengals made a roster move the day after falling to 0-6, claiming rookie guard Fred Johnson, formerly of the Pittsburgh Stealers.

Those Stealers cut the undrafted rookie last week and he was eligible to land on their practice squad if he cleared waivers.

The Bengals had other plans.

Johnson is a massive, 6’7″, 326-pound guard who spent his college days at Florida.

He’s ready to compete, too, as captured by TribLive’s Chris Adamski:

“I never look at the pot (half) empty; that (crap) is half full. So I got put on waivers. I could have been here playing (merely) being a backup for three, four more years, however long. So, you just understand the business. They need a quarterback, they need a running back. That stuff happens.”

The Bengals need help in the trenches with John Miller hurt over the weekend at right guard. Alex Redmond played in his place, while Billy Price and Michael Jordan are still taking turns at left guard.

image.png

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

6'7", 300+ lbs.  I wonder if he can play Tackle?

That would be nice.

Actually, his Florida bio said he played about half and half between RT and RG in his two seasons. 

Has as to be about the ugliest dude in a photo though. 

10 hours ago, Shebengal said:

Another depth addition? He’ll probably be starting by next week. 😂

Ain't dat da troof...

I would actually bet on it.

"OK, Fred, don't move until everyone else does.  Then just stand there and get in the way."

Another update on Bed Head Fred

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/10/14/20914517/bengals-news-kerry-wynn-fred-johnson

Kerry Wynn to IR to make room.

22 hours ago, crazycat said:

Yep, he'll probably get into a pushing match with one of the stealers "D" lineman after they grab his facemask and rip his helmet off and the refs will flag him for having his helmet off on the field.

Bold of you to assume a Bengals lineman would engage in a pushing match.  

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

If he puts ketchup on the burger we cut him, right?

Its a two part test commonly referred to as 2 factor authentication:  A: which item does he choose to put the Ketchup on.  B:  How does he get the Ketchup out of the bottle.   

Archived