Offseason coaching overhaul

I can't see Taylor going anywhere, he'll get a chance to "redeem" himself.  If this were any normal kind of organization certain coaches would be immediately fired at season's end, or  would have been already:  Turner and Aronomomo.  Both have historically terrible units and there is no redeeming them.  Turner should never have been hired for his tendency to alienate the hell out of his players alone (which ended up happening, surprise surprise). 

It seems Zac was given nearly full discretion in hiring his staff, but this is one time the "GM" will have to step in and put their foot down; the DC has to be someone who knows how to assemble an NFL defense and scheme, period.

On 11/15/2019 at 1:22 PM, HavePityPlease said:

I can't see Taylor going anywhere, he'll get a chance to "redeem" himself.  If this were any normal kind of organization certain coaches would be immediately fired at season's end, or  would have been already:  Turner and Aronomomo.  Both have historically terrible units and there is no redeeming them.  Turner should never have been hired for his tendency to alienate the hell out of his players alone (which ended up happening, surprise surprise). 

It seems Zac was given nearly full discretion in hiring his staff, but this is one time the "GM" will have to step in and put their foot down; the DC has to be someone who knows how to assemble an NFL defense and scheme, period.

So should Zak get a free pass for hiring horrible assistants? A free pass for possibly going 0-16? A free pass for horrible play calling? A free pass for a horrible draft? What have you seen from him that makes you possibly think he can redeem himself? 

Keep in mind the available talent pool here is severely limited.  The potential candidates aren't required to come here just because we offer them a job, it's not a draft.

Why would any coach want to work for MB unless they were unproven, desperate, or needed Redeeming?  Or some combo of all 3?  Quality coaches are going to have better offers.

8 minutes ago, OneHeartBeat said:

So should Zak get a free pass for hiring horrible assistants? A free pass for possibly going 0-16? A free pass for horrible play calling? A free pass for a horrible draft? What have you seen from him that makes you possibly think he can redeem himself? 

I didn't say he gets a pass or that I think he will redeem himself.  I said I think he will get a chance, because it's Mike Brown (hence the quotes around the word).  

If I'm stating what I would do, I'd probably fire him.  Partially because of the poor choices of assistants, but more so because he hasn't shown the ability to call a good game.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Keep in mind the available talent pool here is severely limited.  The potential candidates aren't required to come here just because we offer them a job, it's not a draft.

Why would any coach want to work for MB unless they were unproven, desperate, or needed Redeeming?  Or some combo of all 3?  Quality coaches are going to have better offers.

That wasn't the case when ML was hired.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

He had a rep, people wanted to work with him.    I'm sure the same was true for Wyche plus the franchise wasn't a joke back then.

Exactly!!!  Marvin had 7 good to great years as a Defensive Coordinator in the NFL,  Taylor had nothing close to his resume.  A couple of games as the interim OC at Miami after Lazor got fired.   He wasn't asked back.

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yes, we won't have a choice among the 31 top coaching candidates. But there are more than 31 guys who can succeed as a HC in the league. The trick is to insist on things they probably take for granted elsewhere. Spending to the cap. Paying assistants the going rate. Ordinary amenities. A functioning front office that doesn't go to Switzerland for the trade deadline. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

The trick is to insist on things they probably take for granted elsewhere. 

..and that's the end of their interview.  I'm certain this has happened in the past, and equally certain it was Marvin making the demands when it  came time for his extensions.  He tried to drag the franchise into the modern NFL, he just got tired but refused to quit.  I think they should've blown it up in 2016 but I have a ton of respect for Marvin Lewis.  Sure looks like he was the only thread holding this trainwreck together now, doesn't it?

19 hours ago, SF2 said:

Exactly!!!  Marvin had 7 good to great years as a Defensive Coordinator in the NFL,  Taylor had nothing close to his resume.  A couple of games as the interim OC at Miami after Lazor got fired.   He wasn't asked back.

Agree, and that's why, IMO, you don't tolerate 0-16. Stop the train wreck before it gets out of control.

30 minutes ago, BENGALS666 said:

Sad thing is Hue could field a semi-pro team with Kap at QB and they would beat The Bengals 37-20

I would take Hue as OC next year & be thankful.  He ran some goofy shit under pressure as is tradition but had a productive offense otherwise.  It would be a step backwards in some ways but at least it's a step.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I would take Hue as OC next year & be thankful.  He ran some goofy shit under pressure as is tradition but had a productive offense otherwise.  It would be a step backwards in some ways but at least it's a step.

Funny you should mention that. The Ketchup Whisperer was on NFL radio (Movin the Chains) today and he talked about the quirky offense they ran with Hue. He said they found that whenever you gave a D an odd look the D would check down into thier base zone D and only blitz 5% of the time instead of the normal 25% of the time. He added that they knew Dalton was a good QB when he was not blitzed, when the D was in zone and he could get in a rythym. . Interesting actually

In the ultimate irony:

As part of the NFL’s unveiling of its 100th anniversary All-Time Team, Belichick said on an NFL Network that Paul Brown is the greatest coach in the history of the sport.

“He’s the greatest coach in the history of professional football, clear and simple. Everything I do today, Paul Brown did. It all started with Paul Brown. He took football from being a sport to a profession,” Belichick said.

42 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

In the ultimate irony:

As part of the NFL’s unveiling of its 100th anniversary All-Time Team, Belichick said on an NFL Network that Paul Brown is the greatest coach in the history of the sport.

“He’s the greatest coach in the history of professional football, clear and simple. Everything I do today, Paul Brown did. It all started with Paul Brown. He took football from being a sport to a profession,” Belichick said.

Yeah, but I think he is dead so I am not sure how he relates to the topic of the thread.

Archived