Offseason coaching overhaul

24 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Just as ironic that the son of the guy who invented college scouting has the weakest scouting staff in the league

I get the distinct impression the Browns collectively think they are smarter than the rest of the league and pro football is beneath them.  It's just a means to an end, it keeps them comfortable and allows them to convince themselves they are Very Good People by squandering someone else's money on bums and degenerates.  

They don't seem excited about owning an NFL franchise, they seem burdened by it.

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Just as ironic that the son of the guy who invented college scouting has the weakest scouting staff in the league

Just as ironic as not paying attention to the OL despite the old man using his very first Bengals draft pick on an OLineman.

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I get the distinct impression the Browns collectively think they are smarter than the rest of the league and pro football is beneath them.  It's just a means to an end, it keeps them comfortable and allows them to convince themselves they are Very Good People by squandering someone else's money on bums and degenerates.  

They don't seem excited about owning an NFL franchise, they seem burdened by it.

Very interesting perspective 

1 hour ago, sois said:

Hi I'm alive 

Glad to hear it and unlike the Bengals...

But about Zac...

One of the comments on post game radio was it is the coach's responsibility to put the

players on the field who give the team the best chances of winning,

Not that Andy would have done any better but I think he would have put them in the

better chance of winning that game.  If not, proves why he's on the bench.

Kind of a win-win for the coach.

The players are well aware of the coach's responsibility putting the players providing

the best chance of winning on the field.  They probably feel the same way about the

Finley v Dalton thing as we do, put in Dalton to TRY to win.  So he is losing what

little traction he has left in the locker room.  Not good.

I never bash Mike Brown and certainly not Katie who I have been crushing on for years

BUT ... Is Zac really the one keeping Andy benched or is that order being sent from

the owners' box via 1955 Remco Walkie Talkies?

Very doubtful.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Glad to hear it and unlike the Bengals...

But about Zac...

One of the comments on post game radio was it is the coach's responsibility to put the

players on the field who give the team the best chances of winning,

Not that Andy would have done any better but I think he would have put them in the

better chance of winning that game.  If not, proves why he's on the bench.

Kind of a win-win for the coach.

The players are well aware of the coach's responsibility putting the players providing

the best chance of winning on the field.  They probably feel the same way about the

Finley v Dalton thing as we do, put in Dalton to TRY to win.  So he is losing what

little traction he has left in the locker room.  Not good.

I never bash Mike Brown and certainly not Katie who I have been crushing on for years

BUT ... Is Zac really the one keeping Andy benched or is that order being sent from

the owners' box via 1955 Remco Walkie Talkies?

Very doubtful. 

AD embodies the complete QB package for the Family...if one really buys into the total control thing (which I do not). He was a solid choice in the draft--for which they had to take the gamble upon, seeing that the Quiter wasn't coming back. He was instantly productive--leading them into the playoffs his first season. He was (and still is) a positive image for the public: great person, great family man, off-field invested in the community. He cooperated fully with the organization--signed a very team friendly 2nd deal, never was critical in any way towards coaches or FO, and led in a quiet but effective manner.

Other than the oft-repeated internet expert/media-driven paradigm that he wasn't "good enough", of what possible gain could be had for MB in deliberately cashiering this man to the scrap heap in the middle of an unmitigated disaster of a season? If trying to "save face", it would have been done a year ago...and most certainly this past off season, when the new guy could have "his man".

No, this one is straight in the hands of the kid coach. Upstairs dare not interfere with his decisions, lest they be papered with the same accusations the media would expect them to be. Boy Wonder (resuming that nickname) has the honors here. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Very doubtful.

Very doubtful. 

AD embodies the complete QB package for the Family...if one really buys into the total control thing (which I do not). He was a solid choice in the draft--for which they had to take the gamble upon, seeing that the Quiter wasn't coming back. He was instantly productive--leading them into the playoffs his first season. He was (and still is) a positive image for the public: great person, great family man, off-field invested in the community. He cooperated fully with the organization--signed a very team friendly 2nd deal, never was critical in any way towards coaches or FO, and led in a quiet but effective manner.

Other than the oft-repeated internet expert/media-driven paradigm that he wasn't "good enough", of what possible gain could be had for MB in deliberately cashiering this man to the scrap heap in the middle of an unmitigated disaster of a season? If trying to "save face", it would have been done a year ago...and most certainly this past off season, when the new guy could have "his man".

No, this one is straight in the hands of the kid coach. Upstairs dare not interfere with his decisions, lest they be papered with the same accusations the media would expect them to be. Boy Wonder (resuming that nickname) has the honors here. 

Agreed.  This was a coaching decision just like sitting a perfectly healthy Cordy Glenn for 4 games because somebody's feelings were hurt.  Fining him was also a chicken shit move that reeks of something a high school or college coach might do just to get the other kids in line.  This is the NFL for Christ's sake, how many other teams fine their own players?  That is the league's job. 

The Athletic has an article about Jerry Jones bitching about his teams coaching...

https://theathletic.com/1408877/2019/11/25/from-the-gms-eye-jerry-jones-is-blaming-the-coaching-but-he-should-be-blaming-himself/

Snippets:

Jerry’s frustration with the coaching is a reflection of him — in part because he wants a coach who will do what he wants, what he says, and who will always comply with his organizational structure. Jones was probably sitting in his owner’s box yesterday saying to himself “if Bill Belichick was coaching my team, we might be undefeated, and if Garrett was coaching the Patriots, they might be 4-7.” You had to think that thought crossed his mind because the entire Cowboy nation of fans was thinking the same thing. That thought is one thousand percent wrong. Anyone who believes that does not understand what occurs below the surface when Belichick is preparing his team for a game or the season. The attention to detail, the hard practices, the demanding coaching are all part of the Patriots’ culture—which requires Belichick to control the roster, the coaches, the narrative about the team, and most of all, the team’s environment.

Belichick wins in large part due to the culture he has established; meanwhile, Jerry could care less about culture. How could he? He learned how to run the team from Al Davis, the former owner of the Raiders, who, like Jerry, believed great talent will always prevail. Talent alone worked for Al in the 1960s and ’70s, but as football strategy moved from checkers to chess, with some coaches like Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs and Bill Walsh being grandmaster chess players, talent alone could never prevail. A coach has to make the talent better; a coach has to demonstrate value. If coaching salaries continue to rise, the value of the coach becomes paramount. 

Two years ago, I nicknamed Garrett “The Clapper” because it was apparent to me that all he does is clap. His impact on the team is non-existent; in a sense, he does not impact the offense, defense, or the kicking game. The television cameras are always showing him, yet he never looks at the Microsoft Surface to examine what happened in the game; we never really see him looking at the play clips, huddling with the players during a break in the action, or scanning a call sheet, and we never even really see him needing to cover his mouth because he rarely speaks. The television people don’t have to look for him as he is always in the same spot. Also, I don’t think I’ve ever heard any player say, “Garrett made me better, he showed me how to play the game.” Nor do I notice any variances in his schemes from game to game, which would demonstrate Garrett’s involvement.

Jones cannot be satisfied either. He needs to decide: does he want to win his way or is he willing to hire a coach who coaches the whole team, and who can lead the organization? Cowboy fans can blame The Clapper, but the one who deserves the most blame is their owner — because unless Jones changes, he will always have a talented team, but not a championship team.

HEISMAN WATCH/ON THE CLOCK

Good news for LSU quarterback Joe Burrow: he will win the Heisman. Bad news for Burrow: he is going to play for the Bengals.

Cincinnati is 0-11 and has a two-game lead on the first pick in the draft. The Bengals need to decide not whether Burrow is worthy of the pick, but rather whether Zac Taylor is the right man to coach Burrow and the Bengals next year.  Taylor looks ill-prepared for the job, and the Bengals need to address their coach before addressing the pick.

Archived