More injury trouble for the depleted #Bengals defense: CB William Jackson is expected to miss at least a few weeks because of a shoulder injury, per source. Dre Kirkpatrick also sidelined by a knee injury. The hits keep coming.

3 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Bad thing it lets the Brown Family Trust continue to believe it's just bad luck and they do not have to do anything different with the team.

They weren't going to do anything different regardless.  They will do what they've always done: the bare minimum required to retain an NFL franchise. As long as they can find 30 or so guys to wear the uniform for a few months a year it's all gravy.

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

They weren't going to do anything different regardless.  They will do what they've always done: the bare minimum required to retain an NFL franchise. As long as they can find 30 or so guys to wear the uniform for a few months a year it's all gravy.

This.

Perfect statement, it does not matter about good/bad luck, injuries or whatever. They just plod along in the same manner year after year. Luckily, Mike Brown "really wants to win" and it shows. 

32 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I was never really in this camp because I always thought deep down MB wanted to win if nothing else for his Pops,  but I am starting to lean this way. 

1 minute ago, saphead said:

I was never really in this camp because I always thought deep down MB wanted to win if nothing else for his Pops,  but I am starting to lean this way. 

I think he wants to win like I wanted to play on my high school basketball team. I was pretty good but I played two sports and wouldn’t play year round basketball which you needed to to be good enough to make the team. 

Mike wants to win but he isn’t going to put in the extra time to incrementally improve the team or hire the extra people who will do it for him. The fact they have not executed a mid season trade since 1972 says it all. 

The difference between good and great in NFL isn’t  a huge gap BUT it takes considerable time and effort to close that seemingly small gap.  It’s a couple of points on average on both sides of the ball. It’s maybe 5 yards difference in average starting position.  It’s a couple of plays a year to earn that bye.  It might be one extra good player you pick up.  

42 minutes ago, saphead said:

I think he wants to win as validation.  He wants to be proven right; that his performative "Nice Guy" Redeemer shit has merit & his stubborn refusal to change was the right move all along.  It's about the vindication that would come from winning a SB.  

Given a choice between admitting he has no clue or losing, well..  Here we are.  

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I think he wants to win as validation.  He wants to be proven right; that his performative "Nice Guy" Redeemer shit has merit & his stubborn refusal to change was the right move all along.  It's about the vindication that would come from winning a SB.  

Given a choice between admitting he has no clue or losing, well..  Here we are.  

Over the years I have began thinking that he really is clueless.  Everything he thinks he knows about football he learned before his Dad passed and modern Free Agency began. 

2 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Over the years I have began thinking that he really is clueless.  Everything he thinks he knows about football he learned before his Dad passed and modern Free Agency began. 

He sure seems to act like it's hereditary.  He inherited a team, not the knowledge of how to run it.  I don't recall him pulling a sword from a stone.

16 hours ago, T-Dub said:

He sure seems to act like it's hereditary.  He inherited a team, not the knowledge of how to run it.  I don't recall him pulling a sword from a stone.

It's the ugly side of nepotism, he's in the GM position for the Bengals because of nepotism and not merit. The whole front office reeks of nepotism and it's the main reason why this franchise has been inept for so long.

From Mike Brown, Duke Tobin, and Katie & Troy Blackburn; they are all in their current roles because of who their daddy is/was, not because they were hands down the best person for the job.

4 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

It's the ugly side of nepotism, he's in the GM position for the Bengals because of nepotism and not merit. The whole front office reeks of nepotism and it's the main reason why this franchise has inept for so long.

From Mike Brown, Duke Tobin, and Katie & Troy Blackburn; they are all in their current roles because of who their daddy is/was, not because they were hands down the best person for the job.

What's the family connection for Tobin? 

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

His dad was a long time GM and his uncle was a NFL coach, I seriously doubt Duke would have gotten the opportunities if not for his families connections. 

I'm sure he works hard but his track record is less than stellar. 

Oh OK, vaguely aware of his Dad's career.  

Just now, T-Dub said:

Oh OK, vaguely aware of his Dad's career.  

His dad was famous for going after Mel Kiper on ESPN.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2019/04/25/nfl-draft-looking-back-feud-between-mel-kiper-colts-gm-bill-tobin/3573252002/

He worked for the Lions, Bears, Colts and drafted Marvin Harrison and Marshall Faulk.

13 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

His dad was a long time GM and his uncle was a NFL coach, I seriously doubt Duke would have gotten the opportunities if not for his families connections. 

I'm sure he works hard but his track record is less than stellar. 

Agree.  He gets credit for constructing the roster for the consecutive playoff run but he has been here since 1999 and that is not much of a resume to me.

I still believe Zimmer's defense was a major part of that playoff run as anything.

Just now, westside bengal said:

Agree.  He gets credit for constructing the roster for the consecutive playoff run but he has been here since 1999 and that is not much of a resume to me.

I still believe Zimmer's defense was a major part of that playoff run as anything.

In a what have you done for me lately business like the NFL, his track record over the last 4 years hasn't been good. 

His hubris, believing that he had constructed a competitive roster and it was Marvin Lewis that was holding the team back, has directly affected this team. 

No one outside of PBS believes Dalton can win a big game, but he's still the franchise QB. The oline has been in shambles but the big fix is an injured draft pick and resigning Bobby Hart. The LB corp is awful, so lets add a 3rd pick and never play him...my point is Tobin's personnel decisions have been questionable at best and the result have the Bengals at 0-6 and none even considering a Super Bowl as a realistic goal. 

On 10/16/2019 at 10:07 AM, BengalsCat said:

Who is left to play corner? Not that it seems to matter much. Could we just IR every started and shelve em for next year..... only like half kidding on that last bit.

After seeing Billings drop into coverage a couple weeks ago I'm sure he will fill in just fine.

Archived