Jim Turner ... POS

Like it or not, the Bengals’ calamitous 2019 season has been heavily influenced by their infamous offensive line coach.

By John Sheeran@John__Sheeran  Oct 18, 2019, 7:00am EDT

Some of you will hate me for this. I’d imagine most of you already do. I frankly don’t care. Rip me a new one in the comments section. Email me your hate, I could always use a good laugh.

Jim Turner is bad, and he was always bad.

From the minute he was hired as the Bengals’ offensive line coach, Jim Turner was a bad. When he was suspended by Texas A&M for being sexist at a football clinic, Jim Turner was bad. When he was fired by the Miami Dolphins for partaking in and allowing “BullyGate”, which ultimately led to a three-year stretch of unemployment, Jim Turner was bad. When he failed to put together a quality line in Miami and similarly failed to develop quality players at Texas A&M when he was first with the program from 2008-2011, Jim Turner was undoubtedly, and undeniably, bad.

None of this mattered for Zac Taylor and the Bengals when they hired him in February, and his reputation has worsened more than it’s been enhanced since then. He was an integral reason why Bobby Hart, one of the worst right tackles in all of football, was not only re-signed, but was also given a notable raise in the process. Signing John Miller in free agency and drafting Jonah Williams seemed to counter this inexcusable decision to some degree, but things would only get worse from there.

Once offseason programs began, offensive lineman started retiring left and right. First it was Clint Boling, who was dealing with a career-threatening blood clot in his system; pretty much and open and shut case to be fair, and no blame could be bestowed upon Turner. 

Then the preseason rolls around and Kent Perkins decides to retire. This was when Williams had been injured for over a month and Cincinnati’s tackle depth was getting thin. Why did Perkinsleave the team? Obviously he wasn’t fully committed to hanging up the cleats because he was recently drafted by the St. Louis BattleHawks to play in the XFL. 

About a week later, Christian Westerman is mysteriously not playing. He decides to retire out of the blue as well. Like Perkins, Westerman later had a change of heart and returned to the team a week later. He was cut soon after that, but the suspicion only grew louder. 

Why did two backup lineman, on a team that had maybe three established starters along the offensive line, decide to leave the team only to return to the sport in some way shape or form? A lack of opportunity? A Need of a fresh start? A frustration with the new position coach? No reason can be fairly dismissed. 

In-between all of this were the signings of John Jerry and Andre Smith, both of whom have had their share of ups and downs this year. Smith coming back for the third time since his initial departure after 2015 is more of an indictment on the front office. But John Jerry? The last time he played any football was in 2017, and even then he wasn’t playing very well. Now he’s the answer to Boling’s retirement? 

In fairness, Jerry hasn’t been terrible after spending an entire year on his couch, but even in late June, he was far from the best option the team could’ve turned to when they needed another body. He was signed because of his familiarity with Turner and Taylor, which sounds a lot like Smith and other acquisitions the franchise has made in the past.

Finally, we get to Cordy Glenn.

On Wednesday, Taylor announced that Glenn had been cleared to practice for the first time since he self-reported a concussion two months prior in the middle of the preseason. In his first practice back, the mood shifted from promising to catastrophic.

Glenn and an unnamed coach got into a heated argument—one that nearly turned physical—over the timing of Glenn’s return to the field. Glenn, the man who has been dealing with literal brain damage for several weeks, was being berated by his coach, whom has not been dealing with such ailments, for taking so long to come back to work. Remove the traditional tough-minded football tropes from your mind and realize how ridiculous the coach sounds in that scenario.

The coach and the Bengals appear to be on the same side, as the team fined Glenn $200,000 for conduct detrimental to the team. Essentially, they believe Glenn was biding his time to return and the team felt he was able to come back long before he did. As a response, Glenn reportedly asked to be cut from the team for being pressured to come back earlier than he felt he should.

We’re not pointing fingers here, but we can make an educated guess as to which coach was the one to get into it with Glenn. It wouldn’t be the first time Turner berated one of his players for standing by a personal decision he didn’t agree with

The situation with Glenn has spiraled out of control and if he ever plays for the Bengals again, it’ll be an absolute miracle. At this point, no one should want Glenn to incur more brain damage for an organization that would treat him like this, whether or not they believe from their own viewpoint he was ready to play again. 

And all of this really starts with Taylor. When asked about his offensive line coach that he’s known for years, Taylor stood up for him once more:

I did ask Zac Taylor if he stands by the way Jim Turner has handled every element of the Cordy Glenn situation and he offered a definitive yes. FWIW, Taylor has stood on the table for Turner every step of the way since the moment he was hired.

When asked about Perkins and Westerman leaving the team back in August, he had a response to that as well:

“Every issue has been completely separate,” Taylor said. “Every situation has been so unique. None of them I can really talk about. I can’t get into their personal matters.”

Whatever. Taylor’s not going to throw his friend under the bus that easily. He’s been a defender of his shoddy character from day one. Turner’s capability as a coach, however, is something Taylor can’t prop up forever without tangible results to back it up.

Turner is still not good at what he does, and the results this year continue to validate that assessment—which most people subscribed to this offseason anyways.

Bobby Hart remains to be terrible, and it’s not like Turner of all coaches could fix his uninspiring technique. His decision to throw Michael Jordan back out at left guard after he proved he wasn’t ready was as awful as Jordan’s play following the decision. And most of Billy Price’s issues are still plaguing his performance as well.

There’s only so much he can do for Price, Hart and the left tackles he’s working with, but what about Trey Hopkins and Miller? The center and right guard duo have been the unquestionable bright spots along the line, but still can’t seem to communicate with one another in the run game. Second level blocking has been a detriment to the offense all season long, and most of that lies on Hopkins and his guards. Why isn’t their talent being maximized on the field?

Because the only thing Turner has ever proven to maximize is how incompetent of a leader and coach he really is. He’s never managed to make of his units better, he’s rarely been able to elevate anyone’s talent. But he’s always managed to be the center of controversy wherever he goes. 

It’s simply poetic that he’s right in the middle of the worst Bengals season in a decade.

Im not a believer in Turner's abilty to 

teach these linemen proper techniques

In any phase of getting the best out of these guys...

Same fucking issues game after game.. 

It seems all these guys are stagnated..

Surely there a line coach that could 

help them improve cuz they arent under Turner...

Dude's a dirtbag but blaming him for guys retiring seems like a stretch.   I assume the argument referenced between Glenn and a coach was probably Turner, but assuming it and writing an editorial based on that assumption are two different things.   

Wow I hate to read this about my Bengals.  

If we weren't the lamest franchise Eric Bieniemy would be the coach or we would be getting setup to sign him after the season. Dude gave his heart and soul to this team. Little guy played like a focking lion out there. He deserved the coaching job more than anyone.  At least a shot.

What are Zac Taylor's connections to this Jim Turner guy prior to the Bengals? 

Was Turner hired (hand picked) by Taylor? 

8 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

If we weren't the lamest franchise Eric Bieniemy would be the coach or we would be getting setup to sign him after the season. Dude gave his heart and soul to this team. Little guy played like a focking lion out there. He deserved the coaching job more than anyone.  At least a shot.

i think maimi dolphins and a college team or 2 

and every failed bengal coaching staff has 1 thing in common,...... the bengals management. and normally it follows the next 4-10 years they allow the OL to be decimated by the refusal to simply buck up a few millions for their veteran players.  i cannot believe they still havent figured out if the offensive front line holds its own then the offense has better success even if it does not score points  simply by staying on the field , which makes every aspect of the team better. 

9 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Pretty sure they were together at Texas A&M before Turner made a bunch of creepy sexual innuendos to player's moms at a seminar.  

Tried to warn y'all about Aggies...

2 hours ago, stryker57 said:

i cannot believe they still havent figured out if the offensive front line holds its own then the offense has better success even if it does not score points  simply by staying on the field , which makes every aspect of the team better. 

Hard to believe Mikey does not get this, especially given “How much he really wants to win” LOL. I just love hearing that about the tree sloth, it is pure comedy. 

8 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Yes.

It's looking like Bieneimy would have been a better choice. He probably would have been able to assemble a better staff, atleast one without a guy with negative track record like Turner. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Yes.

It's looking like Bieneimy would have been a better choice. He probably would have been able to assemble a better staff, atleast one without a guy with negative track record like Turner. 

The reason he didn't get the job was because Katie wasn't sleeping with Bieneimy.

:rsju31uh9:

2 hours ago, gupps said:

Not to excuse Turner or anything, but I'm not sure anyone could make this line any better then mediocre.

That's the rub..  Turner may be an assclown but so are 3/5 of our OL at best.  What was he supposed to do with this bunch in this short a time?

On paper the line wasn’t shit when Turner was hired.  On May 1st, 2019 the line was going to be rookie 11th pick Jonah Willams LT, Cordy Glenn LG, 2nd year 1st rounder Billy Price C, Clint Boling RG, Bobby Hart RT.   

Hopkins, Westerman, and Jordan for depth. 

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

On paper the line wasn’t shit when Turner was hired.  On May 1st, 2019 the line was going to be rookie 11th pick Jonah Willams LT, Cordy Glenn LG, 2nd year 1st rounder Billy Price C, Clint Boling RG, Bobby Hart RT.   

Hopkins, Westerman, and Jordan for depth. 

I still maintain the counting on Glenn for anything was foolish & Hart shouldn't be starting in the NFL. Penciling in a rookie at LT is pretty optimistic, too. Sure you expect that high a draft pick to hit the ground running, but rookies struggle at the best of times & our backup plan was a guy who we know can't stay healthy.

That's 3/5 OL spots hanging on thoughts & prayers before camp even opened. It was inexcusable poor planning, if you can even call that a plan. This roster was built to fail.

10 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I still maintain the counting on Glenn for anything was foolish & Hart shouldn't be starting in the NFL. Penciling in a rookie at LT is pretty optimistic, too. Sure you expect that high a draft pick to hit the ground running, but rookies struggle at the best of times & our backup plan was a guy who we know can't stay healthy.

That's 3/5 OL spots hanging on thoughts & prayers before camp even opened. It was inexcusable poor planning, if you can even call that a plan. This roster was built to fail.

I agree.  Certainly would be growing pains but not the shit show now taking the field.  

1st time viewing this forum all year and this is the story. No surprise. It stinks to read this about my Bengals, but as for loyalty, I’m riding this season out.

We just moved to Northern Ohio, and believe me, at least we aren’t the Browns. What a mess they are. I like Taylor still. We’ve had opportunities to win at least 3 of these games, and this O-Line is definitely the culprit. It’s bad! 

If if we can manage to keep a healthy AJ and manage to get Dalton some time, I think, offensively, we will be good. The defense, however, is just awful. When I hear announcers say Dre Kirkpatrick is our best cover guy, I cringe. He’s awful... in my opinion, he has to go. I can’t remember him ever having a good game. Constantly getting burnt and drawing stupid penalties. Without him, we beat the Seahawks and who knows how the next 5 play out. 

At any rate, I love the Bengals and I’m keeping the faith! At least we can’t blame Marv! Who’s with me?

20 minutes ago, Champ Kind said:

1st time viewing this forum all year and this is the story. No surprise. It stinks to read this about my Bengals, but as for loyalty, I’m riding this season out.

We just moved to Northern Ohio, and believe me, at least we aren’t the Browns. What a mess they are. I like Taylor still. We’ve had opportunities to win at least 3 of these games, and this O-Line is definitely the culprit. It’s bad! 

If if we can manage to keep a healthy AJ and manage to get Dalton some time, I think, offensively, we will be good. The defense, however, is just awful. When I hear announcers say Dre Kirkpatrick is our best cover guy, I cringe. He’s awful... in my opinion, he has to go. I can’t remember him ever having a good game. Constantly getting burnt and drawing stupid penalties. Without him, we beat the Seahawks and who knows how the next 5 play out. 

At any rate, I love the Bengals and I’m keeping the faith! At least we can’t blame Marv! Who’s with me?

I just want them to win a game, any game.  I don't care that much about draft order because it's such a crapshoot anyway. 

This season is a wash.  This is simply not a competitive roster and my concern now is that they blame a bunch of entirely-predictable injuries instead of making the upgrades that are needed.  You can't play NFL ball with no OT's and no LB's.

Archived