Jim Turner ... POS

Turner’s first move was singing Hart’s praises as a prelude to his extension. Said the film on Hart was awesome. Setting aside for the moment Turner being a bullying asshole - he’s also a pretty terrible coach. He’s never coached a good line. His talent evaluator skills are...questionable at best. He was an awful hire and came only because he was Taylor’s buddy. His presence gives me no hope for any competence - and that includes from the head coach who wanted him.

3 hours ago, membengal said:

Turner’s first move was singing Hart’s praises as a prelude to his extension. Said the film on Hart was awesome. Setting aside for the moment Turner being a bullying asshole - he’s also a pretty terrible coach. He’s never coached a good line. His talent evaluator skills are...questionable at best. He was an awful hire and came only because he was Taylor’s buddy. His presence gives me no hope for any competence - and that includes from the head coach who wanted him.

Exactly, his performance at his job is terrible. 

When you consider the retirements of players, the lack of a semblance of a run game, and the overall ineptitude of the the oline it's obvious that Turner isn't very good at his job.

Also, when you consider that Taylor has linked his career to Turner then it's reasonable to say that they both have no idea what they are doing in their current roles.

18 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I just want them to win a game, any game.  I don't care that much about draft order because it's such a crapshoot anyway. 

This season is a wash.  This is simply not a competitive roster and my concern now is that they blame a bunch of entirely-predictable injuries instead of making the upgrades that are needed.  You can't play NFL ball with no OT's and no LB's.

They will win a game--maybe even max out at my predicted 5 but that could be a bridge too far. I actually thought they would yesterday. There are enough rules in place to coax them to a few wins...the NFL hates 0-fer ignominy as much as it loves #teamslikethepatriots. 

The bully football coach is a thing of the past.  Really surprised a younger coach doesn't realize that.  Professional athletes aren't putting up with that crap.  They make more money than the coaches. 

Honestly, it's too bad Glenn didn't get his hands on the guy. 

20 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I just want them to win a game, any game.  I don't care that much about draft order because it's such a crapshoot anyway. 

This season is a wash.  This is simply not a competitive roster and my concern now is that they blame a bunch of entirely-predictable injuries instead of making the upgrades that are needed.  You can't play NFL ball with no OT's and no LB's.

Miami is still on the schedule.

I'm not convinced we win any other game though.

Jim Turner's comments about Bobby Hart told me all I need to know...

I thought he did a great job,” new Bengals offensive line coach Jim Turner said earlier this offseason, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. “I thought he was phenomenal. I know he gave up some sacks and pressures and all this other business, but if you really watch him play, he played with passion and I thought he played well. I just like what he brought to the table as far as energy is concerned. I think he’s an athlete and I think he’s a good player, a good, solid player.

The offensive line is GARBAGE but this guy is clearly an idiot.

It sorta dawned on me what I think Turner really likes about Hart.  It's in that quote "I just like what he brought to the table as far as energy is concerned".  I had never really noticed until this year that Hart is a big-time "rah rah" guy.  Every time there's a TD he's running over and doing the in-your-face scream-fest with the scorer, the dance, the whatever.  I think Turner sees himself (as a sort of rah-rah guy... the kind that jokes about your mom and probably your grandma too) in Hart.  The guy who eats up the screaming and the hard-ass bit.  All that says to me is Turner is as bad as "Ketchup Einstein" when it comes to assessing players, and with similar ego-based reasoning.

1 hour ago, HavePityPlease said:

It sorta dawned on me what I think Turner really likes about Hart.  It's in that quote "I just like what he brought to the table as far as energy is concerned".  I had never really noticed until this year that Hart is a big-time "rah rah" guy.  Every time there's a TD he's running over and doing the in-your-face scream-fest with the scorer, the dance, the whatever.  I think Turner sees himself (as a sort of rah-rah guy... the kind that jokes about your mom and probably your grandma too) in Hart.  The guy who eats up the screaming and the hard-ass bit.  All that says to me is Turner is as bad as "Ketchup Einstein" when it comes to assessing players, and with similar ego-based reasoning.

I would say he's worse, atleast has developed some good players.  Whitworth, Levi Jones, Willie Anderson, Richie Braham, etc..

Turner has this job because he and Taylor have a great relationship with Mike Sherman. Sherman is Taylor's father-in-law and got him his first coaching job as a grad assistant. Turner was the oline coach when started coaching and he hired him to be the RB coach when Taylor was the OC at UC.

Here is an interesting excerpt from an article about Taylor hiring Turner:

"I think everyone gets caught in some situations sometimes that they wish they would do differently," said Taylor. "I know those situations inside and out and I feel very comfortable bringing Jim in here and all the other guys we're bringing in.

"You'll be hard-pressed to find anybody who has played for Jimmy Turner or coached with Jimmy Turner that will have a bad thing to say about him."

This isn't the first time Taylor has hired Turner.

After Turner was out of coaching in 2014 and 2015, Taylor hired him as running back coach at the University of Cincinnati in 2016 when Taylor was the offensive coordinator.

Turner left UC after only a couple of weeks when Sumlin hired him as offensive line coach at Texas A&M.

"I shouldn’t have hired him because he left me at UC after like a week and a half, so he should’ve been dead to me, but he’s not, because I know what he’s about, and the people in the community will understand that," said Taylor. "He was out for two years and I hired him at UC. That was my decision, and so I felt very comfortable standing up here in front of whoever I need to stand in front of and explain the reasoning behind it."

Taylor said he had a number of potential candidates he was considering to be his offensive line coach, but that Turner was clearly his top choice.

"There were certainly a number of people I felt comfortable with and Jimmy was No. 1," said Taylor. "On the surface sometimes things look a certain way. I anticipated something like this (his past coming to light) and felt very comfortable. Maybe if I didn’t know someone who had been through those situations, but I know it, and I know him, and I know what he’s all about and I feel very comfortable. I know that this is the right decision."

http://local12.com/sports/bengals/bengals-head-coach-defends-decision-to-hire-offensive-line-coach-with-questionable-past-zac-taylor-jim-turner-miami-dolphins-wells-report-nfl-texas-am

Based on what I saw yesterday, Jim Turner is simply a horrible offensive line coach.  There simply can't be 3 guys in the backfield giving Mixon hugs as soon as he touches the ball.  The other thing that is obvious is Dalton is not allowed to change the plays or the plays themselves leave little room for change.  When 8 guys are stacking the line of scrimmage you don't hand the ball off to your RB hoping for a Moses vs the Red Sea miracle.   That is when you audible to either a quick pass to a TE (we have plenty of them) or throw a screen pass.   

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

Based on what I saw yesterday, Jim Turner is simply a horrible offensive line coach.  There simply can't be 3 guys in the backfield giving Mixon hugs as soon as he touches the ball.  The other thing that is obvious is Dalton is not allowed to change the plays or the plays themselves leave little room for change.  When 8 guys are stacking the line of scrimmage you don't hand the ball off to your RB hoping for a Moses vs the Red Sea miracle.   That is when you audible to either a quick pass to a TE (we have plenty of them) or throw a screen pass.   

Are you saying Dalton has his hands tied and can't audible in a situation he should as a 9 yr pro? I can't believe that, sorry.

34 minutes ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Are you saying Dalton has his hands tied and can't audible in a situation he should as a 9 yr pro? I can't believe that, sorry.

Dalton is a rookie in this system.   And I don’t think I saw him audible once yesterday.  He may have but I didn’t notice. 

Archived