Reason for the bengals sucktitude?

SUCKTOWN POPULATION: BENGALS  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why do the bengals suck so much ass currently?

• Taylor is largest factor. he sucks at coaching and makes us suck, if marvin was here we would be 3-3 or better.
    • Injuries are biggest factor, if the line was healthy the offense would be rolling.
    • Lack of talent on the field. Injuries plus guys gone in FA, and so on, just not good enough to win with this roster.

im on the lack of talent opinion. 

aside from choosing staff the HC has very little to do with on the field success, its like a management position, putting good people in place for success, he may not be doing that, i dunno, but ill give him time to prove one way or another.. injuries are a factor of option 3 IMO, obviously with AJ and a full healthy line and healthy defense we wouldnt be winless, but we still arent a playoff contender, IMO.

I said as much in the Gameday thread, but also that they've rewarded some really marginal talent in players like Hart or Pacman Jr.  They're borderline starters the team is trying to build around.   Upgrading the talent level isn't easy but it can be done, it's something you can plan around.   

The delusional player evaluation is a bigger problem.  It's not just a lack of talent, it's a lack of recognizing talent (or lack of.)  How do you fix that when the owners are effectively 1/2 the scouts? They aren't going to fire nephew.

blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.co

All of the above.

Even when the Bengals get good players they get rid of them.  This morning the Falcons moved Mo Sanu to the Patriots.  What a damned good football player Sanu is and was with the Bengals.  He does everything you ask.  Maybe not a Pro-Bowl player, but does everything well.  The Bengals let Sanu and Marvin Jones walk.  The people running the Bengals are bad football people and until that changes nothing will change.

41 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

All of the above.

Even when the Bengals get good players they get rid of them.  This morning the Falcons moved Mo Sanu to the Patriots.  What a damned good football player Sanu is and was with the Bengals.  He does everything you ask.  Maybe not a Pro-Bowl player, but does everything well.  The Bengals let Sanu and Marvin Jones walk.  The people running the Bengals are bad football people and until that changes nothing will change.

Marvin Jones caught four TD passes Sunday.

just sayin'

However, in the Bengals defense, I don't think he was worth to the team what he was asking or expecting.  Too bad they could not have traded him and Snafu.

This is easy: Taylor.

Is it talent or injuries? Sure, they play a role. We could be so overwhelmingly talented that any scheme or coach would work. There's a lot of coaches that would do great if they had plenty of talent and never had to deal with an injury.

Quick Quiz: You've just lost AJ Green and your starting pass protectors. You have Joe Mixon and Gio Bernard. Are you passing the ball 70%+ of the plays?

Because that's the rub. I can forgive the injuries. I can appreciate the poor line blocking. I cannot fathom NOT getting the ball to your two biggest offensive weapons. I cannot understand not making teams respect the run or the screen when you can't keep Dalton upright. I can't understand a basic grasp of clock management and time of possession. (At some point you have to just run the ball to rest your defense...)

The offense sucks, and that's Taylor's domain. The play calling is 3rd grade level poor. We have Mixon and Bernard, and neither one is getting the ball as a much as Alex "reverse sweep" Erickson. Does this look like a well organized and well run team to you?

Fuck Marvin Lewis, but this team has won 2-3 games if he's the coach. My opinion.

Watching that game last night reminded me of our game.  Why Gase kept calling long downfield passes when Darnold had almost zero time to throw is beyond perplexing. Bell was doing pretty well I thought but Gase wanted to complete some 25 yard throws against the best secondary in football.  It really boggles the mind. 

I kinda agree with Lost, I think the coaching has been very poor, play calling is bad, offense is vanilla, and the oline coaching is atrocious.   Defense played better this week but still gave up 216 yards on the ground.  

When you factor in the fact this year's draft picks are not doing much, last year's 1st rounder is a bust, we totally wiffed on Malik Jefferson, and the only person really playing from our 2017 draft, Joe Mixon, is having a terrible year it is not hard to figure out what the issue is.   Think about that, the 2017 draft has given the Bengals one reliable starter.  

47 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

This is easy: Taylor.

Is it talent or injuries? Sure, they play a role. We could be so overwhelmingly talented that any scheme or coach would work. There's a lot of coaches that would do great if they had plenty of talent and never had to deal with an injury.

Quick Quiz: You've just lost AJ Green and your starting pass protectors. You have Joe Mixon and Gio Bernard. Are you passing the ball 70%+ of the plays?

Because that's the rub. I can forgive the injuries. I can appreciate the poor line blocking. I cannot fathom NOT getting the ball to your two biggest offensive weapons. I cannot understand not making teams respect the run or the screen when you can't keep Dalton upright. I can't understand a basic grasp of clock management and time of possession. (At some point you have to just run the ball to rest your defense...)

The offense sucks, and that's Taylor's domain. The play calling is 3rd grade level poor. We have Mixon and Bernard, and neither one is getting the ball as a much as Alex "reverse sweep" Erickson. Does this look like a well organized and well run team to you?

Fuck Marvin Lewis, but this team has won 2-3 games if he's the coach. My opinion.

Don't forget the disappearance of Tyler Eifert.

He is your number one receiver in the red zone, but he has be completely left out on all game plans to date.

1 hour ago, SmoothD said:

He is your number one receiver in the red zone, but he has be completely left out on all game plans to date.

The false starts, illegal formations, etc... Coaching and discipline.

The only reason we surprised the Seahawks - They expected us to do something smart. They thought we'd go run heavy with two great RB's. They thought we'd make the job easier on our fat guys up front. They stacked the run. Oops. 

Eifert, Sample, Uzomah... Where are any of these guys in our playbook? Why isn't Gio catching 8 screens a game to keep the opposing D honest? How have we gotten to the point where Alex Erickson is our #3 WR and leads the team in yards? All of the picks over the years and we have Awwdrop Tate and.... Just... Damn. Zac Taylor's playcalling doesn't even work in Madden. He's like your 8 year old nephew who's like "Slant, slant, slant, 9 route." while you're playing zone and turning his QB into an entree.

Karma man. We crap on Whitworth, he goes to the Rams. The Rams look respectable because the can run the ball and protect the QB. We sign Zac "Dave Shula" Taylor.... It's the circle of Miiiiiike, the wheel of misfortune.....

See the source image
                                                                                  Zac Taylor is annointed as new Bengals coach

2 hours ago, SmoothD said:

He was the #1 receiver in the red zone in 2015.  This is 2019 and he looks a shell of himself.  He's stiffer, slower, & plays like his first thought when he does get the ball isn't "go score!", it's "don't get hurt again!"   Of course that's understandable but what I see is clearly not the same player from 4 years ago.  I agree they could make better use of him but that goes for everyone on offense right now.

TE is as big a hole as OL or LB honestly, but TE's don't matter as much.  It is another spot where even a dependable average player would have an impact on the team.

42 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

He was the #1 receiver in the red zone in 2015.  This is 2019 and he looks a shell of himself.  He's stiffer, slower, & plays like his first thought when he does get the ball isn't "go score!", it's "don't get hurt again!"   Of course that's understandable but what I see is clearly not the same player from 4 years ago.  I agree they could make better use of him but that goes for everyone on offense right now.

TE is as big a hole as OL or LB honestly, but TE's don't matter as much.  It is another spot where even a dependable average player would have an impact on the team.

We don't have any TEs, we have #6 and #7 offensive lineman.   They are kinda scrawny and look like tight ends but they are not. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

We don't have any TEs, we have #6 and #7 offensive lineman.   They are kinda scrawny and look like tight ends but they are not. 

OL. LB. TE.  The DB's look thin too but at least some of those guys can play. 

It was time to blow up this roster 4-5 years ago.   We've let that happen through attrition & it's gone over a cliff.

Meanwhile, someone's getting thrown under the bus soon if they don't get a win.  

Archived