Reason for the bengals sucktitude?

SUCKTOWN POPULATION: BENGALS  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why do the bengals suck so much ass currently?

• Taylor is largest factor. he sucks at coaching and makes us suck, if marvin was here we would be 3-3 or better.
    • Injuries are biggest factor, if the line was healthy the offense would be rolling.
    • Lack of talent on the field. Injuries plus guys gone in FA, and so on, just not good enough to win with this roster.

On 10/22/2019 at 10:06 AM, LostInDaJungle said:

This is easy: Taylor.

Is it talent or injuries? Sure, they play a role. We could be so overwhelmingly talented that any scheme or coach would work. There's a lot of coaches that would do great if they had plenty of talent and never had to deal with an injury.

Quick Quiz: You've just lost AJ Green and your starting pass protectors. You have Joe Mixon and Gio Bernard. Are you passing the ball 70%+ of the plays?

Because that's the rub. I can forgive the injuries. I can appreciate the poor line blocking. I cannot fathom NOT getting the ball to your two biggest offensive weapons. I cannot understand not making teams respect the run or the screen when you can't keep Dalton upright. I can't understand a basic grasp of clock management and time of possession. (At some point you have to just run the ball to rest your defense...)

The offense sucks, and that's Taylor's domain. The play calling is 3rd grade level poor. We have Mixon and Bernard, and neither one is getting the ball as a much as Alex "reverse sweep" Erickson. Does this look like a well organized and well run team to you?

Fuck Marvin Lewis, but this team has won 2-3 games if he's the coach. My opinion.

100% this. Then how long does he last? I don't know that even MB can stomach 0-16, which is a real possibility.  

The answer isn't running it more because the o-line is beyond fucked, IMO.  Boling retired.  Williams injured.  Glenn apparently refusing to play after being cleared by an independent doctor.   It's so bad that we've started a career OG who was out of football last year in the previous 2 games at LT.  This isn't fixable this year.  That said, it doesn't excuse the defensive problems, namely the lack of anything resembling a run defense.   Teryl Austin isn't around to blame anymore.  This team is overmatched and there are plenty of holes to fill on both sides.   Anyone still debating the need for a full rebuild is delusional.  It's time to start over and stockpile as much draft capital as possible.

My final (for the moment) thoughts on this is the team is a dumpster fire in a train wreck in the middle of the perfect storm.

I don't really blame anyone, in particular.

Mike Brown is still Mike Brown.  Nothing new on that front.

Andy is regressing and the woeful state of the O line is helping a great deal in that.

I still back Zac.  I wanted and expected more and do not like the OJT year he is putting in.

He inherited Marvin's team and Marvin's team's attitude and it went down hill.

First round draft choice, top O lineman in the draft will not play this year.  Marvin's

LOT out with a case of the lazies and refuses to play.  Top WR on IR, the Ross III drama

and expectations continue.  Throw in their declining quarterback now having a case of the yips.

IMHO, anyway, he has not yet earned the respect around the league and from the refs other coaches

have.  That will take time.  I think calls are going against him and the Bengals that would not even

be called on one of the power coaches.  Example: last week the Jackoffville receiver clearly had a foot

in the white out of bounds running down he field but refs gave it to them for a long gainer.  Bull shit.

Read an article this morning about a lack of leadership from veteran players.

They rebuilding.

I don't want to see them go winless.

I don't think they are tanking.

Ya' gotta take the good with the bad and I see a number of positives

that have yet to put it all together (ie Billy Price) and some underachielving

dead wood that needs to go (ie John Ross).

Who Dey and Fuck the Stealers.

While Taylor wants to establish identity with "11" personnel he needs to modify it for now

by Richard Skinner, WKRC

Wednesday, October 23rd 2019
AA
Cincinnati Bengals running back Joe Mixon, below, is tackled by San Francisco 49ers middle linebacker Fred Warner (54) during the first half an NFL football game, Sunday, Sept. 15, 2019, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/Gary Landers)
facebook.svgtwitter.svgemail.svg

CINCINNATI (WKRC) - While it's understandable that Bengals head coach Zac Taylor wants to establish his offensive identity in his first season it's not understandable that when he lost a handful of key pieces and has to operate with a makeshift offensive line that he hasn't made an adjustment from his core philosophy.

Taylor's base offensive personnel group is "11," which features one running back, one tight end and three wide receivers. That is what the Los Angeles Rams utilized last season on the way to the Super Bowl. Taylor was that team's quarterbacks coach.

It is predicated on a power running game and play-action passes off those runs.

One big problem is that the Bengals are not only the worst rushing team in the NFL this season - averaging 53.1 yards per game 2.9 yards per rush - but they are on pace for the fewest rushing yards in a season in franchise history, and that includes the 1982 season when the Bengals played only nine games due to a players' strike.

ADVERTISEMENT
SCROLL TO CONTINUE READING

There's also the fact that the Bengals are without standout wide receiver A.J. Green and speedy wide receiver John Ross, who got off to a nice start in the first few games, due to injuries. The remaining wide receiver corps outside of Tyler Boyd is mediocre at best and none of the wide receivers left on the roster have the ability to take the top off the defense.

All of that would seem to be a reason for Taylor to abandon the "11" look or at least limit it significantly, but offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said sticking with the "11" group presently will set a foundation for long-term success of the offense.

"Do you do everything all the time that is solely based on what is gonna get you yards that week or are you trying to build a system of offensive football?" said Callahan. "You can make an argument on both sides, to be honest with you. You also are trying to build something that’s sustainable in two or three years from now. So, there has to be a system in place of sorts.

"You have to have a system and you have to have something you believe in. If you just kind of go with the wind every time something goes right, I don’t think that’s always the best way either. It’s a fine line. You have to find ways to make the system work and you also have to find ways to put your guys in position to play winning football, go win matchups and things like that. We do our best to balance those things."

One of the reasons Taylor wants to use the "11" look is that it forces opponents to use an extra cornerback to cover the third wide receiver and conceivably makes it easier to run the ball, but that obviously has been far from the case. With Green and Ross removed many opponents are staying with their base defense because they don't worry about having a safety cover a slot receiver. Even when they are in nickel, opposing defenses are winning the point of attack so easily to stop the run that it doesn't matter that they have an extra cornerback in the game.

That leads me to wonder: Why not change what you are doing?

Rams head coach Sean McVay was asked on Wednesday during a conference call with Cincinnati media whether he would still use "11" if he didn't have the personnel to use it.

"No," said McVay. "When I was in Washington (from 2010-16, including 2014-16 as offensive coordinator), we were more tight-end driven because we had some depth at tight end with Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis and some guys like that. It’s always a product of your personnel. Credit to (current Rams tight ends) Gerald Everett and Tyler Higbee. You want to make sure you get them involved a little bit as well, which is why we’ve kind of moved toward a little bit of '12' personnel and we did some '13' (using three tight ends) last week as well, also."

The Bengals selected tight end Drew Sample in the second round of this year's draft when many analysts rated him third round or later, and Bengals coaches said the reason why they took him is because, "he's the best run-blocking tight end in the draft."

The team had already re-signed tight end C.J. Uzomah to a multi-year deal and signed injury-prone tight end Tyler Eifert to a one-year deal so it seems puzzling the Bengals used such a high pick to reach for Sample, especially if they aren't going to use him. Sample has played in only 19 percent of the team's offensive snaps so far and the Bengals have utilized multiple tight end sets on roughly seven percent of the team's offensive plays.

Taylor said following Sunday's loss to Jacksonville that everything was on the table when it came to making changes, and when asked on Monday if using multiple tight end sets might help the running game he sounded lukewarm about the idea.

"We do talk about it extensively every single week, whether it’s ’11' personnel, ’12' personnel, ’13' personnel or ’10' personnel. Those are all conversations that we have," said Taylor. "What we roll out there on Sunday is what we think is the best option to win the game.”

Callahan admitted that as much as the Bengals have invested in the tight end position they haven't made best use of that group. The three tight ends have only combined for 29 receptions for 253 yards and one touchdown.

"We'd like to do more of it," said Callahan. "It's not like it hasn't been part of the plans, but I think just how things have shaken out ... when we've moved it at the end of halves and games, really, it's been in '11' personnel and that's just sort of how it's come off the (play call) sheet. They're good players. We need to find a way to get them involved."

Then there's the idea of using running backs Joe Mixon and Giovani Bernard more together, which was broached in a column a couple of weeks ago.

"There are times where we’ve had more plays in the plan to do that and we haven’t been able to get it off," said Taylor. "You look at some the games we’ve played, and we’ve had limited snaps in the first half. It’s certainly an option for us. You need to look at how (the opponent) responds defensively. What do they look at that as? Those are all things that, as the game gets going, we’re trying to understand what their approach is when we do that and what advantages that gives us."

What the Bengals are doing now offensively isn't exactly working, and it's OK to have a philosophy and want to establish an identity, but good coaches adapt to their personnel.

It's what Taylor needs to do sooner rather than later.

https://local12.com/sports/bengals/while-taylor-wants-to-establish-identity-with-11-personnel-he-needs-to-modify-it-for-now-nfl-pro-football-cincinnati-bengals-zac-brian-callahan-cj-uzomah-drew-sample-tyler-eifer-los-angeles-rams-sean-mcvay

4 hours ago, oldschooler said:

While Taylor wants to establish identity with "11" personnel he needs to modify it for now

There's also the fact that the Bengals are without standout wide receiver A.J. Green and speedy wide receiver John Ross, who got off to a nice start in the first few games, due to injuries. The remaining wide receiver corps outside of Tyler Boyd is mediocre at best and none of the wide receivers left on the roster have the ability to take the top off the defense.

All of that would seem to be a reason for Taylor to abandon the "11" look or at least limit it significantly, but offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said sticking with the "11" group presently will set a foundation for long-term success of the offense.

"Do you do everything all the time that is solely based on what is gonna get you yards that week or are you trying to build a system of offensive football?" said Callahan. "You can make an argument on both sides, to be honest with you. You also are trying to build something that’s sustainable in two or three years from now. So, there has to be a system in place of sorts.

Meanwhile real NFL coaches are looking at film of their  next opponent with their asst. coaches and they are deciding which formations make the most sense, which personnel and areas of the field to attack, who on the opposing defense will give them problems and where and which plays should get them easy yards when they need them.  

We will stay in the 11 because it is what Sean does is laughable.  Proclaiming the system is more important that actual results is really troubling.  This reminds me of the movie "Knocked Up" with Josh Rogen.  They spent a year trying to make a web site that tells everyone when the nude scenes were in each movie.  Then Paul Rudd says, "You mean like Mr. Skin?"  Uhh, time for a new gameplan.   This is the NF fucking L.  Systems come and go like the wind.

This is what a decent high school coach with limited time and access to players does, not what an NFL coach does.  This entire article just reinforced to me that these coaches are WAY out of their league. 

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

My final (for the moment) thoughts on this is the team is a dumpster fire in a train wreck in the middle of the perfect storm.

Andy is regressing and the woeful state of the O line is helping a great deal in that.

I still back Zac.  I wanted and expected more and do not like the OJT year he is putting in.

First round draft choice, top O lineman in the draft will not play this year.  Marvin's

LOT out with a case of the lazies and refuses to play.  Top WR on IR, the Ross III drama

and expectations continue.  Throw in their declining quarterback now having a case of the yips.

IMHO, anyway, he has not yet earned the respect around the league and from the refs other coaches

have.  That will take time.  I think calls are going against him and the Bengals that would not even

be called on one of the power coaches.  Example: last week the Jackoffville receiver clearly had a foot

in the white out of bounds running down he field but refs gave it to them for a long gainer.  Bull shit.

They rebuilding.

I agree with this. 

One of the things that have always bothered me is they often seem to keep player's (and coaches) past due date.  Living in Indiana I remember years ago watching a sports talk show on a local Indy station.  It was a round table discussion including Peyton Manning, another Colt or two and a couple of players from other teams discussing training camp and such.  The one take I still remember to this day was those players all agreeing that within a couple days of training camp the veteran players knew who had the ability to play in the NFL and who didn't.  And they were clear to point out that always didnt mean just the most talented player.  There is no way Oogie Boogie should have been here 4 years.  And there have always been others that fit that idea too.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

They rebuilding.

The highlighted part is all we need to see. Mike Brown is incapable of building or re-building. It just exists. It is comical to say trade players for draft picks when we have had over 30 picks in the last 3 years.  Right now we have an aging core, inexperienced coaches, undermanned scouting staff, a tree sloth owner, inbred management team, terrible recent draft record. But other than that we are good to go.

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The highlighted part is all we need to see. Mike Brown is incapable of building or re-building. It just exists. It is comical to say trade players for draft picks when we have had over 30 picks in the last 3 years.  Right now we have an aging core, inexperienced coaches, undermanned scouting staff, a tree sloth owner, inbred management team, terrible recent draft record. But other than that we are good to go.

Exactly, this blind squirrel of a front office finds a nut every now and again but they typically waste their draft capital. 

Why some want to exchange proven talent for unknown talent makes zero sense to me. What ever rebuilding is going to occur you want guys like AJ Green leading the way.

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

Meanwhile real NFL coaches are looking at film of their  next opponent with their asst. coaches and they are deciding which formations make the most sense, which personnel and areas of the field to attack, who on the opposing defense will give them problems and where and which plays should get them easy yards when they need them.  

We will stay in the 11 because it is what Sean does is laughable.  Proclaiming the system is more important that actual results is really troubling.  This reminds me of the movie "Knocked Up" with Josh Rogen.  They spent a year trying to make a web site that tells everyone when the nude scenes were in each movie.  Then Paul Rudd says, "You mean like Mr. Skin?"   This is the NF fucking L.  Systems come and go like the wind.

This is what a decent high school coach with limited time and access to players does, not what an NFL coach does.  This entire article just reinforced to me that these coaches are WAY out of their league. 

Let's be fair now. Zac doe have to schedule around study hall and when the band is using the field for practice. He has to keep the players from looking ahead to the game with Elder.

3 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Wow, that is so troubling to read.

Let's be generous. With Glenn and Williams, you lost your starting Tackles. Redmond and Boling your two starting guards. A "Rookie" center. You've lost 2 of your top 3 receivers. You're just "sticking with the gameplan"?

Holy sheep dip. So, Mixon isn't getting yards and is frustrated. Andy is getting his head ripped off every other down and is frustrated. You can't establish the run so you can't run your desired offense anyway. The 49ers drew up a blueprint in Auto-Cad for beating this POS offense and you're just going to keep doing it? 

And I have neither the time or inclination to go into the Jr. Varsity level playcalling... I've seen High School coaches put together a better gameplan and show more cunning in their calls. The Bengals are going to try to surprise you early with passing, settle into trying to run in the 2nd quarter. Then scramble desperately in the third quarter trying to find something that works.

You're 0-7 and setting a record for fewest rushing yards in a season.

Taylor is in over his head. 

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

spacer.png

20 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

From a Cincy Jungle video - Note that the plays were running don't even make sense. You KNOW the Jags D is fast - Why run a sweep?

Just go to 9:43 of the video.  The ineptitude is spectacular. Watching Redmon just fall down was a nice touch.

29 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Let's be fair now. Zac doe have to schedule around study hall and when the band is using the field for practice. He has to keep the players from looking ahead to the game with Elder.

Let's not forget about preparing the snacks and picking everyone up for practice in the Blackburn's minivan.

Also, Lapham said Mixon was going through a rough time at home with his mom and was staying with the Taylor's until things stabilize.

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

Just go to 9:43 of the video.  The ineptitude is spectacular. Watching Redmon just fall down was a nice touch.

On the same play, look at Bobby Hart's half assed attempt to make a block 😡.

I should send this link to Joe Mixon

I understand folks not wanting to trade players like AJ, Geno and the others.

But a rough count shows:

AJ Green---14 WR older than AJ with 8 only 1 year older.

Carlos------14 DE older than Dunlap with 7 only 1 year older.

Geno ------8 DT older than Atkins and 5 only 1 year older.

Even Gio who will still be a young kid at 28 only has 18 RB older than him with half only 1 year older.

I think the sell by date is here on these guys and you have to take it.

6 hours ago, SmoothD said:

I should send this link to Joe Mixon

I am sure Mixon sees it loop in his head while trying to sleep at night. 

13 hours ago, SmoothD said:

Let's revisit this hot take, shall  we?

"I thought he did a great job," Turner said. "I thought he was phenomenal. I know he gave up some sacks and pressures and all this other business, but if you really watch him play, he played with passion and I thought he played well. I just like what he brought to the table as far as energy is concerned. I think he's an athlete and I think he's a good player, a good, solid player." 

Emphasis added because I really appreciate the "all this other business" line, it's so perfectly dismissive of the actual job of an offensive lineman.

"I know Dr. Smith killed several patients and is addicted to painkillers and got caught masturbating behind a preschool and all that other business, but if you really watch him perform surgery while eating a tuna sandwich...  something-something I'm incompetent!"

18 hours ago, sparky151 said:

When is Go going to bring back the negative reps? 

Very good article in the Athletic on the comparisons today to the lost decade by Mo Egger. I have a subscription so will post some of the article below but I do recommend the website even on a trial basis, great articles on all the teams and leagues you follow.

https://theathletic.com/1323606/2019/10/25/egger-bengals-mirroring-the-lost-decade-is-the-90s-reboot-no-one-wanted/

Remakes are the rage in Hollywood right now. It feels as if not a week goes by that I don’t see a trailer for either a film being either being completely remade or slightly re-imagined. Across various TV networks and streaming services, there are dozens of old favorites either being re-done, spun-off or brought back to life.

The nostalgia craze isn’t being limited to Tinseltown. Here in Cincinnati, “The Lost Decade” – a 10-season feature about a hopeless pro football franchise and its jilted fans – has been given a reboot. Remnants from the old cast are back, with Mike Brown reprising his role of the out-of-touch owner who doesn’t know how to win. Angry fans return, this time though with a darker, more complex take on a role that was played to much acclaim during the series’ original run.

The updated version features Zac Taylor playing the role Dave Shula made famous as the in-over-his-head young head coach unarmed with any chance of succeeding. Andy Dalton replaces David Klingler as the Texas-born quarterback we all know will never win anything meaningful. Joining the new cast is Duke Tobin as the guy we never see or hear from, and Troy and Katie Blackburn as ownership heirs who must grapple with the challenges presented when an old-school franchise is faced with modern-day NFL realities.

Aside from the time Gary Reasons famously tugged on the bill of his head coach’s cap during a Monday night game in Pittsburgh in 1992, the images that stood out most during Shula’s time in Cincinnati were of him staring at the field in exasperation, often wearing the bewildered look of someone who knew he’d bitten off more than he was capable of chewing.

It was impossible not to think of Dave Shula when the Bengals hired Zac Taylor. 

The 2019 Bengals, on the other hand, have a chance to be completely memorable, mainly because the possibility of a winless finish is as real the streak of 28 seasons without a playoff win that’s preceded it. It’s almost impossible to point to a strength of any 0-7 team, but Taylor’s first Bengals squad has a shocking number of deficiencies – a historically bad running attack, a severely limited passing offense, a slow-footed, limp defense that’s about as frightening as an uncarved pumpkin.

You could probably get confirmation from Shula himself: It’s really hard to be an NFL head coach. It’s even more difficult when you’re handcuffed by management’s unwillingness to be unrelenting in the pursuit of winning.

Taylor might not be the most directly responsible, but even with his roster’s limitations being acknowledged as a major factor, he hasn’t inspired much confidence. The offense has lacked imagination, from the insistence on using three-wideout sets despite injuries to two of the top three receivers to the incredible lack of production on the ground. I’m no playcalling expert, but I’ve seen Andy Dalton be asked to line up in the shotgun and run for a yard on fourth and one. I’ve seen hopes for a big season from Joe Mixon get extinguished in an offense that’s failed to capitalize on his talents.

The offensive line has been a disaster behind Jim Turner, the line coach Taylor insisted on bringing to Cincinnati. Last year’s first-round pick, Billy Price, has not been developed to the point where he’s been able to play to his draft position. There’s been weirdness with replay challenges, including a possible fumble in Baltimore that the head coach didn’t ask to be reviewed, and the comical visual of Taylor scrambling for the red flag last week as a staff member charged toward Taylor holding it.

It’s the ’90s Part 2, the 21st-Century take on an era that wasn’t just defined by the Bengals losing but by the expectation of defeat every single Sunday. It’s a production that features some familiar faces and lots of new names, but primarily, a head coach with almost no track record to speak of being given little to work with and somehow doing even less with it.

I’ve seen this movie before. Dave Shula played Zac Taylor.

I know the running game sucks too but they have to at least attempt some kind of balance. Even the best QB's in the game don't throw 45 passes a game week after week. Why not at least try handing it off to one of the best backs in the NFL? So tired of this team paying lip service to the ground game every offseason then abandoning it at the first sign of adversity.

This team is pudding soft from Father Brown to the bottom.   So far KatieTroy just seem like marks that think they're shot-callers.  Any hope of a meaningful changing of the guard is pretty well dead.  We can only hope they're still young enough to realize they have no clue and hire people that do, eventually.  Not holding my breath on that count.  From what I've seen of this collective FO the worse things get, the more they dig in their heels.  

Archived